5 gallon MLT, going AG, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
Does anyone know how big of a beer I can make in the 5 gallon cooler? This would assume my efficiency is about 70%...

Soulive21 said:
Does anyone know how big of a beer I can make in the 5 gallon cooler? This would assume my efficiency is about 70%...

Twelve pounds of grain is about the practical limit for a 5 gallon MLT, which puts the maximum OG about 1.058-1.060. If you need to go bigger you can:
  • Do two mashes and use the 1st runnings of each for your big beer and the 2nd/3rd runnings for a smaller beer (parti-gyle brewing)
  • Do a double mash and use the wort from the first batch as the strike & sparge water for the second mash, creating a huge beer
  • Make a standard 1.058-1.060 wort and boil it down to 4 gallons rather than 5
  • Add a little DME/LME when no one is looking (you'll never notice any extract flavors in a beer that big anyway)
  • Cap the mash by scooping out some of the spent grain and replacing it with fresh grain for the 3rd runnings
  • Use honey, treacle, corn syrup or sugars to add to the fermentables

Chad

Chad said:
Twelve pounds of grain is about the practical limit for a 5 gallon MLT, which puts the maximum OG about 1.058-1.060. If you need to go bigger you can:
  • Do two mashes and use the 1st runnings of each for your big beer and the 2nd/3rd runnings for a smaller beer (parti-gyle brewing)
  • Do a double mash and use the wort from the first batch as the strike & sparge water for the second mash, creating a huge beer
  • Add a little DME/LME when no one is looking (and you'll never notice any extract flavors in a beer that big anyway)
  • Cap the mash by adding scooping out some of the spent grain and replacing it with fresh grain for the 3rd runnings
  • Use honey, treacle, corn syrup or sugars to add to the fermentables

Chad

Wow I thought I'd max out at 10lbs. I'm fine with 12lbs being my limit. I will just add DME when necessary. In the future, I'll convert another cooler...

Latest posts

Back