Left Hand Milk Stout - my try.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynachrome

Reaction score
I read all thirty-nine pages:

ADX's Left Hand Milk Stout clone

I had a request to make this.

I'm sitting here having a glass of my EFP clone right now. I think I may have mashed too hot. It's really sweet. ...only been in the bottle two days - can't tell.

Anyway - I think I'll give this one a try. I wanted to start my own thread so I don't pollute the original with my tipsy trivia and musings.

Copied from the original:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: DCL US-05
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU: 23
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 41.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days at 68F
Tasting Notes: Adapted from the Zymurgy recipe

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Left Hand Milk Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.35 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.38 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Notes:

The lactose was added with 10 minutes left in the boil.

Some of the brewers were messing with the water, some were adding more crystal. There were other things going on too - water chemistry....

That many pages was difficult to filter out what modifications worked.

I must write some boring threads.

ADX inspired "Mother's Milk Stout"
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: DCL US-04
Yeast Starter: Reconstitue yeast for 8 hours in warm water with table sugar

Adjust for inventory - Scale up 2.4X =

Batch Size (Gallons): 12
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU: 23
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 41.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days at 68F
Tasting Notes: Borrowed from "ADX @ homebrewtalk.com"

Recipe: Left Hand Milk Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.72 gal - (re-calc total volume for sparge pror to sparge)
Estimated OG: xxx SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: xxx IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: ? %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
16.8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain
1-1/4 lbs Roasted Barley #5393 Briess (300 lovibond)
3/4 lbs Dark Chocolate Malt #5444 Breis (420 lovibond)
3-1/2 oz Bonlander Munich Malt #5344 Briess diastatic power 40 lintner color 10 lovibond
3-1/2 oz Special Roast Malt #5398 Briess color 50 deg lovibond
1 oz Ashburne Mild Malt #5355 Briess diastatic power 65 lintner color 5.3 deg lovibond
30 oz Cara 15L Malt - (15 lovibond) Grain
30 oz Carapils Malt Grain

24 oz Barley, Flaked Grain
20 oz Rye, Flaked Grain

1.0 oz Chinook [14.2 %] (60 min) Hops XX IBU
1.0 oz Cascade [ 7.3 %] (15 min) Hops XX IBU
1.0 oz Mount Hood [ 6.5 %] (10 min) Hops XX IBU
(2) 12 oz cans Carnation Evaporated Milk
(1) 14 oz cans Sweetened Condesned Milk

2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale
first fermentor Yeast #S-04 Yeast-Ale
second fermentor Yeast #S-05 Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 25-3/4 lbs
----------------------------
8 gallons mash, 4 gallon Sparge, 2 gallon Sparge.
50 minutes in mash, two sparges immediately.
60 min Mash In Add 56 qt of water at 162.5 F 154.0 F maintained

Notes:

The lactose evap/cond milk) was added with 10 minutes left in the boil.

My LHBS guy was on vacation and his inventory was a low on a couple items. I subbed in rye instead of oats. My understanding is that it should be an earthy tone.

My brew storage area has turned into a set of Chinese handcuffs. I have too much stuff. I used to do this with just buckets. Now there are two carboys in there, a pile more bottles.

I'm considering one large fermentor. I have weighed kegging. So far I haven't gotten really sick of bottling and bottles are really portable and store well.

I'm missing on my water calcs. I didn't boil enough off - probably mixed in too much of the late running on top of it.

I hit 154 and varied down to 150 through the mash. My OG was 1.48 on the main boil. It smelled really sweet and milky at first. It smelled more beer-like after the wort cooled.

There were tailings that had a n OG of 1.038. I pitched a mix of SafAle S-05, SafAle S-04, and a pinch of bread yeast into it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

....back to the main boil. I split the wort into my two main fermentors. I added a young yeast starter of S-04 to one, and another short-span starter of S-05 to the other.

I will have to bottle the tailings within about ten days, as I don't trust the buckets going much longer than that and I've had decent luck so far. I'll probably go light on the priming sugar, this is a bigger beer, it may not really finish that fast.

I must write some boring threads.

My LHBS guy was on vacation and his inventory was a low on a couple items. I subbed in rye instead of oats. My understanding is that it should be an earthy tone.

My brew storage area has turned into a set of Chinese handcuffs. I have too much stuff. I used to do this with just buckets. Now there are two carboys in there, a pile more bottles.

I'm considering one large fermentor. I have weighed kegging. So far I haven't gotten really sick of bottling and bottles are really portable and store well.

I'm missing on my water calcs. I didn't boil enough off - probably mixed in too much of the late running on top of it.

I hit 154 and varied down to 150 through the mash. My OG was 1.48 on the main boil. It smelled really sweet and milky at first. It smelled more beer-like after the wort cooled.

There were tailings that had a n OG of 1.038. I pitched a mix of SafAle S-05, SafAle S-04, and a pinch of bread yeast into it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

....back to the main boil. I split the wort into my two main fermentors. I added a young yeast starter of S-04 to one, and another short-span starter of S-05 to the other.

I will have to bottle the tailings within about ten days, as I don't trust the buckets going much longer than that and I've had decent luck so far. I'll probably go light on the priming sugar, this is a bigger beer, it may not really finish that fast.

Doing a starter with dry yeast may be less effective than just re-hydrating. The point of a starter is to increase the yeast cells but the dry yeast contains enough "nutrients" so that the yeast can multiply in the wort. Mak9ing a starter depletes that nutrient so you may end up with fewer yeast cells than you started with.

Buckets make great fermenters and while I've seen mention of the permeability of them to oxygen, we're talking months before that becomes any problem. I'd leave a big beer in the fermenter for much longer than 10 days, more like a month. I've left a brown ale for 9 weeks with no ill effects.

The two carboys lit off and ran right away. The bucket experiment didn't fire by Tuesday. I poured in a pack of dry S-04 before work. By the time I got home it had a decent kreusen on it.

Thanks for the tip on dry yeast. I did not know about the nutrient.

Did you hammer the lid on tigght and use a burp tube for your buckets? I just set the top on and put a little weight on it.

I've had comments of cardboard flavors in my beers. Not consistently, but a couple times.

Excuse me. I noticed these ingredients in your second post.

It has me a little concerned.

Did you really use that stuff? And if you did, out of curiosity, when and how?

That was a joke, right? Sort of checking to see if anyone is paying attention maybe? Please tell me you didn't put these things in your beer.

Excuse me. I noticed these ingredients in your second post.

It has me a little concerned.

Did you really use that stuff? And if you did, out of curiosity, when and how?

That was a joke, right? Sort of checking to see if anyone is paying attention maybe? Please tell me you didn't put these things in your beer.

..I did.

While that answer may be obvious, what actually remains a mystery is exactly who first came up with the idea of adding milk to beer. This was actually a common practice — adding whole milk to beer and stouts in particular — that began in the United Kingdom during the 1800s, back when stouts were actually called “stout porters.” Milk beers were served at lunchtime to laborers for added strength to get through the day. As strange as it seems, it actually makes perfect sense as many cultures, such as the Maasai in Kenya, rely on milk as a staple food. The beer in this case was an added bonus.

Milk-stout-it-does-a-body-good

So the evaporated milk and condensed milk were put into the un-fermented wort? If so, I would love to see pictures of what is happening. Btw, I've read that article before. I think in the beginning they are talking about mixing milk with the beer at the moment it was served. I could see that sort of working as long as you didn't take to much time in drinking it. I imagine those workers back in early industrial England were slinging them back as fast as possible.

The second paragraph mentions a bit more history where they added milk during the fermentation process.

I looks very much like my normal porters. I'm actually a 'tidge disappointed. I was hoping for something with a bit of character.

Pictures of my fermentors and my beer bunker.

IMAG0458.jpg

IMAG0460.jpg

IMAG0461.jpg

Wow. Nice pics. I don't understand how it didn't curdle. Perhaps my fear of using any dairy product, outside of pure lactose, is some how flawed?

OK, 19 days in my brew locker. I think the S-04 was done at about 6 days in it's carboy. The S-05 was looking pretty sell finished after 10 days.

The bucket - I sit here right now feeling like I've been negligent and should have bottled it after 10 days. I'm thinking I'm going to have cardboard from oxidation. I don't hammer the top down or air lock them, just rest it on top with a little weight.

I had a kidney stone pass last weekend. My wife was in for surgery this weekend.

And, so it goes.

OK, 19 days in my brew locker. I think the S-04 was done at about 6 days in it's carboy. The S-05 was looking pretty sell finished after 10 days.

The bucket - I sit here right now feeling like I've been negligent and should have bottled it after 10 days. I'm thinking I'm going to have cardboard from oxidation. I don't hammer the top down or air lock them, just rest it on top with a little weight.

I had a kidney stone pass last weekend. My wife was in for surgery this weekend.

And, so it goes.

Why should you have oxidation? If you left the lid in place so there wouldn't be much exchange of air your beer will be safe under the CO2.

I think the condensed milk/evaporated milk was digested. I was not expecting that. They were fairly murky.

The S-05 carboy came down to about 1.008

The S-04 carboy came down to 1.006

The bucket with the yeast orgy came down to 1.000

The rye was a nice touch. The S-05 was tastier than the -04. It had a roastier/maltier sense on my tongue.

The bucket was king of watery. One of the family liked it better than the regular batches though.

IMAG0477.jpg

IMAG0478.jpg

IMAG0479.jpg

Put my toys away this morning. The S-04 and S-05 batches were good to drink right out of the fermentor.

Calculate ABV

(Og - Fg) * 131 = AVB

S-05 batch (1.046 - 1.008) * 131 = 4.98%

S-04 batch (1.046 - 1.006) * 131 = 5.34%

Yeast orgy (bucket) batch (1.036 - 1.000) * 131 = 4.72%

The bucket had some kind of waxy looking flakes on top. I told junior to take a picture and email it to me. I haven't gotten it yet.

It didn't look normal. It didn't taste funky though.

So the evaporated milk and condensed milk were put into the un-fermented wort? If so, I would love to see pictures of what is happening. Btw, I've read that article before. I think in the beginning they are talking about mixing milk with the beer at the moment it was served. I could see that sort of working as long as you didn't take to much time in drinking it. I imagine those workers back in early industrial England were slinging them back as fast as possible.

Sorry. I added them at the end of the boil.

Yeah, I tried it....
I admittingly was not overly excited for a RYE "milk" stout with strait up flipp'n milk. However....it wasn't all that bad. Had a real nice roasted/toasted character without any burnt bitterness off flavors. I would never have been able to pick out that rye was used if I wasn't told. Also, I wouldn't have guessed that any sort of foreign objects (ie canned milk) were added either. Just tasted like a standard drinkable stout. Now would I say it was a Left Hand clone?...No, not at all, but a good beer with good drinkability.

p.s.--- don't actually tell people what they are drinking until they try it first with this one :D

Yeah, I tried it....
I admittingly was not overly excited for a RYE "milk" stout with strait up flipp'n milk. However....it wasn't all that bad. Had a real nice roasted/toasted character without any burnt bitterness off flavors. I would never have been able to pick out that rye was used if I wasn't told. Also, I wouldn't have guessed that any sort of foreign objects (ie canned milk) were added either. Just tasted like a standard drinkable stout. Now would I say it was a Left Hand clone?...No, not at all, but a good beer with good drinkability.

p.s.--- don't actually tell people what they are drinking until they try it first with this one :D

People are incredulous that I used real milk products.

I read up on it first.

I have a large stock left. I drank mostly IPA's over the summer.

:fro:

Put my toys away this morning. The S-04 and S-05 batches were good to drink right out of the fermentor.

Calculate ABV

(Og - Fg) * 131 = AVB

S-05 batch (1.046 - 1.008) * 131 = 4.98%

S-04 batch (1.046 - 1.006) * 131 = 5.34%

Yeast orgy (bucket) batch (1.036 - 1.000) * 131 = 4.72%

I had a Yeast Orgy a couple nights ago. It's actually maturing way better after months of conditioning.

Why should you have oxidation? If you left the lid in place so there wouldn't be much exchange of air your beer will be safe under the CO2.

When I use buckets for fermenting, I don't close the lid tight. I don't have them set up with burp valves. I use new clean Menard's buckets. I leave the lids setting just with their weight holding them down. I worry the air-lock is flawed this way and don't want to push it. I think I've gone two weeks with this method and no off flavors.

OK, I got geared up for my Mexican Christamas Stout - S.O. said to make my milk stout instead.

I have $12 of peppers I won't use NBD.

I need to know what to do with the lactose though. I could just do what I did last time and use condensed milk It worked.

Does anyone have opinions on if it would work to add lactose to the fermentor tomorrow (so I can go get it from my LHBS)?

OK, I got geared up for my Mexican Christamas Stout - S.O. said to make my milk stout instead.

I have $12 of peppers I won't use NBD.

I need to know what to do with the lactose though. I could just do what I did last time and use condensed milk It worked.

Does anyone have opinions on if it would work to add lactose to the fermentor tomorrow (so I can go get it from my LHBS)?

is there a special reason you can't do both? I'd consider two batches or a split batch were I in that predicament. :mug:

is there a special reason you can't do both? I'd consider two batches or a split batch were I in that predicament. :mug:

That's a good idea. Let me cogitate on that.

I am mashing right now. I can't hit my temps. I set in at 160 - wanted 155 - took a swag at adding about two gallons of cold water to the 9 gallons that were there - dropped it down below 150.

Now I'm trying to get it back into the 155 range.

I usually use grain that I recently retrieved from the freezer. This time it was room temp. It's throwing off my loosely formed "system".

I need to record my grain bill here for posterity...

Grain bill for this one is different as I had planned the Mexican Chocolate Christams Stout (what the LHBS had):

22lbs Maris Otter (my taste)
2lbs Weyerman's Dehusked Carafa II (in place of "chocolate malt")
24 oz Breiss Carapils (dextrine malt)
24 oz Breiss 2 row Caramel 60L (in place of crystal malt 77L)
18oz Breiss Roast Barley
1lb flaked oats.

I will use Safale S-05 as my own personal safe-zone yeast. I'll do a starter getting it going now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have fresh Habeneros and dried Guajillos - I have no idea of scovill units on them. ...punt?

I need to pick up some lactose too.

Grain bill for this one is different as I had planned the Mexican Chocolate Christams Stout (what the LHBS had):

22lbs Maris Otter (my taste)
2lbs Weyerman's Dehusked Carafa II (in place of "chocolate malt")
24 oz Breiss Carapils (dextrine malt)
24 oz Breiss 2 row Caramel 60L (in place of crystal malt 77L)
18oz Breiss Roast Barley
1lb flaked oats.

I will use Safale S-05 as my own personal safe-zone yeast. I'll do a starter getting it going now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have fresh Habeneros and dried Guajillos - I have no idea of scovill units on them. ...punt?

I need to pick up some lactose too.

Making a starter with dry yeast may be counterproductive.:rockin:

What would the down-side be please?

I've had good lcuk with my carboys taking off quickly.

Is there an adverse effect on the final product?

I've heard of under-pitching and over-pitching putting a strain on the yeast.

I used two oz of Warrior at 90 min, 14%AA I ended up with too much wort. I didn't do much extra boiling either.

I put in some extra hops, a few oz, at the end I call KMH. (Karl's Mystery Hops) A friend grows his own and doesn't know what they have combined into over the years. I left it go for about 1/2 hour.

The dry yeast is made with the necessary nutrients to begin the replication needed to get the number of yeast cells needed for ideal fermentation. When you make a starter you deplete those nutrients and may end up with fewer yeast cells than had you just pitched the dry yeast. It takes a fair amount of under or over pitching to make bad beer. It's a pretty forgiving process.

I had 1.058 when I put into the fermentors. I had expected a higher OG. It is at 1.008 today on bottling day.

...I get a little over 6.5% ABV

Back