wiki help: 'verified' propane burner listing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Similar to my other request thread here; I'm looking for a list of homebrew verified burners for listing on the wiki. This list would not include full turkey fryer kits, just the burner itself (either with a stand or just the burner element itself - please indicate if this is the case).

This particular list is for propane but if you want to post natural gas we can make another page for that as well.

Bayou Classic, although the round one needs a mod to hold a keggle. The mod can be anything from putting a grill grate on it to attaching angle iron to the sides.

Well, as far as Bayou Classic goes, I know there are people around here that use the SQ14 (BG12 burner) that puts out 55K BTU with the 10PSI regulator, and apparently Home Depot sells it with the 15 PSI regulator, putting out 110K BTU. There is also the SP10 (BG10 burner) that comes with a 20 PSI regulator putting out 185K BTU. As far as the the popular Banjo Cooker (BG14 burner) goes, the old KAB4 model came with a 30 PSI regulator putting out 210K BTU, and the newer KAB5 model comes with a 20 PSI regulator putting out 185K BTU.

There are many other models, but those are the ones that get talked about around here.

I've just been doing research, if you're looking for experience, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Hi guys.
This is my first post. So bear with my learing curve. I am intrested in the home made brew stands. I think it is just as much fun to build and improve your equiptment as it is to use it. Does anybody have these burners pictured?(burner only). I picture having a single tier stand capable of 5gal batches and 10+gal batches. So burner control is a must. Any advice on burner/reg combos would be appreciated.

The Bayou KAB5 is almost too much burner unless you've got a keggle. I have a 9 gallon brew pot that's probably almost 14" in diameter and I have to barely open the valve on it, or I have flames licking up the sides of my kettle.

Also, i think they now come with slightly lower psi regulators, or you can upgrade to the big 25psi one that's 220,000btu.

Back