Funky Buddha Last Snow Porter Clone Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pieman396

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first recipe. I've brewed about 12 beers, but I've been using kits and tweaked recipes I've found online until this point. Recently, my favorite beer of all time, Funky Buddha's Last Snow Porter, ran out at the brewery and I'm not sure how long it'll be til it's back. If you haven't had the opportunity to try it, its a semi sweet white chocolate coconut coffee porter, at about 6.7%. I'm trying to come up with a clone recipe, so if you've had it that will be most helpful. It tastes like an almond joy bar basically. Here is what I have so far:

Name: Last Snow Porter Clone
Style: Sweet Stout
Brew Method: Extract
Batch Size: 5 gal Boil Size: 3.5 gal OG: 1.070 FG: 1.018 SRM: 42 IBU: 19

Fermentables
7.00 lb Pilsen Light DME
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt
0.50 lb Roasted Barley
0.25 lb Black malt

Boil Additions
2.00 oz Willamette
1.00 lb Lactose

Yeast
Safale US-05

Notes / Brew Schedule
Steep grains for 30 minutes @160 degrees.
1.00 oz Willamette @ 60 min
1.00 lb Lactose @ 60 min
7.00 lb Pilsen Light DME @ 60 min
1.00 oz Willamette @ 5 min

Fermentation
Primary: 1 week
Secondary: 2 weeks, then racking onto:
1.5 lb Toasted Coconut
0.5 lb cocoa powder
0.5 lb ground coffee
and letting it sit for 4-5 days or until it tastes right.
What do you guys think

I ended up changing the recipe a bit, it's fermenting now.

8.00 lb Pilsen Light DME (2 added at the beginning, 6 in the last 15 min)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt
0.50 lb Roasted Barley
0.25 lb Black malt
0.25 lb Caramel malt

3 oz Willamette, 2 at beginning of boil and 1 towards the end.

0.75lbs Lactose for the last 10 minutes

Going to rack into 2 lbs toasted coconut, 4 oz cacao nibs, and some cold brewed coffee. We shall see. May need to get some coconut extract to use at bottling.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/lord-snow-porter

Any news on how this batch turned out? I'm thinking about making this brew but I might tweak the the coffee slightly. Any news would be appreciated. Thanks

Any news on how this batch turned out? I'm thinking about making this brew but I might tweak the the coffee slightly. Any news would be appreciated. Thanks

Got a little delayed, it's in primary now going to secondary on Monday. Haven't added any coffee yet, what were you thinking?

I was thinking about using a flavored coffee (mocha or hazelnut or similar) I'm open to ideas and am def brewing this after I finish my Oaked imperial stout.

I was also thinking about a butter toffee coffee, you should get a huge hit of coconut and chocolate up front and IMO the richness of the butter toffee would be a great finish.

Should have bottled tonight but a rough exam schedule is making me wait til Friday. Tastes AWESOME right now though out of the fermenter. No coconut extract necessary, the shredded coconut flavor is definitely prominent. Next time I'll add a split vanilla bean or two to help bring out the caco flavors. Also haven't added the cold brewed coffee, that'll go in at bottling I've decided, just a cup or so. Ended up with 1.8lb coconut after burning a little while toasting it. At the moment I'm REALLY pleased though. This is my first time working with lactose and the sweetness level is great. I'll give you a full review once its bottled and again after conditioning.

Thanks for the update, I'm planning on adding some fermentables to bring this beer up to about 11.5% abv. I'm really interested in how this tastes carbed up.

Thanks for the update, I'm planning on adding some fermentables to bring this beer up to about 11.5% abv. I'm really interested in how this tastes carbed up.

NICE! I'd like to do an imperial version as well, first I wanted to do a clone to take over to the guys at Buddha. Will keep you posted.

Here is the beer smith recipe I've been working on.

image-1270243707.jpg

image-374290803.jpg

image-2816005114.jpg

So today I bottled the Last Snow clone. I ended up adding 2 cups of cold brewed coffee and half a capful of vanilla extract at bottling along with the bottling sugar. The taste is fantastic. Will probably up it to 1lb lactose next time, could use a hint more sweetness. It's very full bodied though. I am concerned about head retention at this point because it felt very oily and left an oily residue on anything it touched. We'll see though. Getting pretty excited at this point. Will update once it's carbed.

It's fantastic. All my friends are saying it's my best beer yet. Personally I don't think it has as much coconut flavor as actual last snow, but some of my friends disagree. No problems with head retention, although I didn't filter very well and every other bottle has a small piece of shredded coconut or two. It has been in bottles 2 weeks. Might add slightly more coffee next time, 3 cups instead of 2 or something. Also might do slightly more vanilla. But overall it's fantastic. Let me know if you guys have any luck or make any adjustments!

Ended up just using a medium roast regular coffee, couldn't find any coconut flavor in time.

I finally had this beer last night for the first time. I am now gathering the ingredients to brew it. Thanks for the recipe!

the last bottle I had from Funky Buddha tasted like it had coconut extract in it (presumably to hold flavor). The fresh coconut flavor had really gone downhill (it was a bottle I had hanged on to for a while).

There's other posts around the fruit section, but fruit just seems to really disappear in beer after about 6 months or so. The Funky Buddha I had at GABF a couple years back was very fresh, and the coconut flavor was very apparent. I've just learned my lesson to not let this one age.

Hey there, Just wanted to let you know that I made this with your first recipe. The only difference was that I added cold brewed green mountain coconut coffee to the secondary. It came out great! I was trying for a higher ABV, but wound up at 6.5

Any updates from anyone who has brewed this recipe? My girlfriend wants me to brew this beer for her birthday coming up in a couple months, and she loves the original brew from Funky Budha. I am going to brew the original recipe posted by the OP, and follow his tips regarding coconut and coffee. Let me know if you have any more tips!

I brewed it and it was fantastic, but it didnt quite taste like Last Snow. I added two lbs of toasted coconut and you could barely taste it. I would try coconut extract next time. I added too much coffee too. It was one of the best beers Ive made but i need to tweak a few things before Id call it a Last Snow clone.

I added too much coffee too.

How much coffee did you add? And how/when did you add it?

I'm making a similar beer but I want a ton of coffee, curious how much makes a person say "too much"... so I can do 98% of that much! :mug:

I added 4 cups of cold brew. The coffee flavor was a lot at first but dies down quickly.

Hey guys, this is my first recipe. I've brewed about 12 beers, but I've been using kits and tweaked recipes I've found online until this point. Recently, my favorite beer of all time, Funky Buddha's Last Snow Porter, ran out at the brewery and I'm not sure how long it'll be til it's back. If you haven't had the opportunity to try it, its a semi sweet white chocolate coconut coffee porter, at about 6.7%. I'm trying to come up with a clone recipe, so if you've had it that will be most helpful. It tastes like an almond joy bar basically. Here is what I have so far:

Name: Last Snow Porter Clone
Style: Sweet Stout
Brew Method: Extract
Batch Size: 5 gal Boil Size: 3.5 gal OG: 1.070 FG: 1.018 SRM: 42 IBU: 19

Fermentables
7.00 lb Pilsen Light DME
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt
0.50 lb Roasted Barley
0.25 lb Black malt

Boil Additions
2.00 oz Willamette
1.00 lb Lactose

Yeast
Safale US-05

Notes / Brew Schedule
Steep grains for 30 minutes @160 degrees.
1.00 oz Willamette @ 60 min
1.00 lb Lactose @ 60 min
7.00 lb Pilsen Light DME @ 60 min
1.00 oz Willamette @ 5 min

Fermentation
Primary: 1 week
Secondary: 2 weeks, then racking onto:
1.5 lb Toasted Coconut
0.5 lb cocoa powder
0.5 lb ground coffee
and letting it sit for 4-5 days or until it tastes right.
What do you guys think
Love this beer. I'm about to attempt a clone myself.

Latest posts

Back