Where can I get one of these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Hey guys

I just bought an analog johnson temp controller.....now I've got to wire it up. So, where do I get one of these?

johnson-controller.jpg

(the wire not the controller)

Or is there another way to wire it? (Yup used the search....thats how I found the pic;) )

Thanks guys bc this is me---->:confused:

Good luck.

That plug has female receptical holes in the back of it.

You will have an easier time getting 2 cords.

One with male prongs and the other with female receptical.

In other words, cut an outdoor extension cord in half.

Unplug it from the wall first. ;)

Cool, so cut it in half (already did this actually....)

Strip it, then wire the positives together on the positive screw....same for negative....

Right?

BTW which one is positive which one is negative?

Thanks for the quick response!

SWEET Thanks OlllllO !

Just got it wired up...I'll go plug it in and make sure it works right....

You are dealing with AC so there isn't a positive or negative.
You will have a "hot" a "common" and a ground.

You generally never switch the common and NEVER the ground so simply wire the commons together and the grounds together while also grounding the controller. Then hook the "hot" wires to the appropriate normally open or normally closed contacts for your application.

The cords hot wire will most likely be black. Another way to tell which is the "hot" is to look at the plug. If it is a polarized plug the "hot" will be the narrower of the prongs if it isn't polarized it will be the prong on the left if you are looking at the plug prongs facing you with ground oriented down.

Edit: I guess I was a little late...LOL Glad you got it...

greenhornet said:
SWEET Thanks OlllllO !

Just got it wired up...I'll go plug it in and make sure it works right....

Famous Last Words? .....I just blew a fuse

I guess I'll try this again!

I am not sure what you have exactly but more then likely it has a contact block or multiple blocks with 3 terminals each.
They may be labeled C or Common / NO (normally open) /NC (normally closed)

Most likely your cord has a black (hot), white (common) and a green (ground) wire.

You wire the whites together you wire the greens together and tie the to the ground connection on the controller. Now for the black wire, you wire the black wire of the line side of your cord (the end you plug in to the outlet) to the C or common terminal of the contact block and you wire the load side black wire to the NO or NC terminal depending if you want your load to turn on or off at your set temperature.

Thanks wihophead! Your Post in #7 REALLY made sense...

The extention cord I'm using doesn't have colored wires....so a little more difficult

BUT I had my 'commons' mixed up....switched them around and I'm going to go try and plug it in again

Thanks again!

hmm I don't even know what that is....

I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help, I'll post in this thread again...

Pics, Greenhornet. There are many of us that can help you but we need to see the inside wiring of your controller. It's really not that hard. You're probably over thinking it.

VOM=volt ohm meter
DMM=digital multi meter

Ah yes, I have neither...

Ok cool, I'll fiddle with it tomorrow again and post up some pics if I can't figure it out...

Thanks for the help guys!

EDIT: I think you're right Fingers....it is a lot easier than what I'm making it

Well, I got it to work......sorta

It works above 85* below that and the fuse pops. I live in an old house so maybe it's just SH!TY wireing? I tried it in the garage (where the fridge is) then I ran an extension cord to the nearest plug in the house (in the kitchen)....still the same thing, popped under 85*.

There is a new addition to the house....maybe the wiring is better down there. I'd like to move the fridge to that part anyway.

Only possible problem with the 'addition' is non of the plugs have grounds.....

Man, this sucks

I think it's pretty obvious what you're doing wrong. You have it wired so that when the controller contacts close, you're running a direct short from hot to ground. When you say it "works" above 85, that's just because that's the ambient temp in your room. When you try to lower the temp below ambient, it closes the contacts and basically connecting hot and ground together.

Get yourself a new extension cord. In the center of the run, carefully strip off a 6" section of the outer sheath. Find the black wire (or anything other than the green/bare ground. Cut that wire and strip both ends. Connect both of those to your controller, one on the common and the other on the NO or normally open screw. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you should call an electrician.

SWEET! Thanks BobbyM!

I had the 'white' on one screw and the 'black' on another....thinking about it now that doesn't make any sense at all....

so...it's humming away at 65* now

Thanks everyone... :drunk:

Latest posts

Back