Sanded down my kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foppa78

Reaction score
I had the urge to try to clean up a few of my kegs today. I thought I would share the pictures. I obviously haven't done the keg on the left but I included it in the picture for a before and after effect.

2318286230058020267S600x600Q85.jpg

2470368440058020267S600x600Q85.jpg

Nice. Did you just use course grit paper? They don't look like you took them to a polished finish, which I think would look silly anyway.

I used an 80 grit and then the final pass was with a 120 grit. After that I scrubbed them with some BKF. You are right I didn't polish them. I like they way they look unpolished.

*stupid question alert*

do you have to worry about rust?

*/stupid question alert*

They look freaking awesome man! Lots of elbow grease huh?

98EXL said:
*stupid question alert*

do you have to worry about rust?

*/stupid question alert*

They look freaking awesome man! Lots of elbow grease huh?

That isn't a stupid question al all. I honestly don't know. This is the first time I tried sanding them down. I scrubbed them down with some BKF. I was also wondering about the rust since I only used 80 and 120 grit sand paper. I just liked the way they looked rather than the polished look. Maybe the polished look would be better against rust though. Does anyone know about these things rusting? Am I safe?

You should be good since BKF has oxalate in it and that can be used more safely than nitric acid to repassivate stainless; gosh those things look nice.

BKF has oxalic acid which will passify the stainless. Just scrub the entire keg, rinse and let air dry. Stainless will rust but it has to be totally neglected for a long time before that happens.

I used 120 grit on mine and then I used a thick paste of BKF with a green scotch brite pad. My pots do have rust and paint so cleaning them to a shine is a lot of work.

Before...
dscn3107.jpg

After...
Recirc3.jpg

Got the last one cleaned tonight. They are all ready to go.

2068074920058020267S600x600Q85.jpg

False bottoms in two of the kegs
2318311350058020267S600x600Q85.jpg

yeah, those do look good man......my search for kegs is still going.

foppa78 said:
I had the urge to try to clean up a few of my kegs today.

Great Job! They look fantastic! If you still have the urge, I have about 16 cornies that could use a shine :ban:.

EdWort said:
Great Job! They look fantastic! If you still have the urge, I have about 16 cornies that could use a shine :ban:.

Bring em on by. We can knock them out. I actually now plan to clean a few cornies myself.

Your new shiny kegs look pretty frickin sweet, now I had to try it! Just got done sanding my keg, and it looks exactly like yours, foppa. I used 100 grit, then 220 grit paper because that's all I have at the moment.

eviltwinofjoni said:
Your new shiny kegs look pretty frickin sweet, now I had to try it! Just got done sanding my keg, and it looks exactly like yours, foppa. I used 100 grit, then 220 grit paper because that's all I have at the moment.

That is awesome. post some pictures. I used 80 and then 120 grit. I bet yours are smother than mine with that 220 grit. I also have some 220 but I like they way they looked after the 120 so I decided to stop and give my arm a rest. :rockin:

Well here's mine, chillaxing out by the Nugget hops I got growing. I did a few passes with the 220 grit, I really should go over it again some more to get the rest of the scratches out of it. I was going to grind out the AB logo and words, but then I realized I'd still see the imprint from the backside

ooooshinyie9.jpg

Hay guys, just a keg checkin out the ladiez (hop plants that have cones are females you know ;) )

oooshinydn5.jpg

The hops in the foreground are Nugget, the next one is Mt. Hood, and the two pots in the back are Cascade.

Back