AHA Nationals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
OK, who is going and who is sending in brews? Also, are we anywhere with our club status? It would be cool if a cyber club won best club this year. I am hoping to go and plan on entering an IPA, IIPA, Imperial Stout and Old Ale, if I can get my act together. We will see.

I'm not entering anything either--but AFAIK we are still going. I know we had talked briefly about maybe doing the GABF instead. I can't do both...but we will do one of them. Whatever the consensus is, I'm in for 1 of 'em.

I'm doing both since I live here. :D
I'd like to enter a beer or two but I haven't a clue what to do. I might enter my pumpkin ale. I guess they have a first timers category and I might enter it there. I should probably enter something else just for the feed back.

I'd love to enter my barleywine from this year. I just tried it and it's pretty good. When are the nationals? Summer right? The brew could use several months of age anyways.

Not entering anything this year but I will definitely be there. I'm planning on both AHA and GABF this year. Do we need to start planning a booth, beers to pour at the booth etc? I'm happy to contribute and help out anyway I can with that.

I'm thinking about sending the sweet potato ale in that I did a while back. I might send in some other stuff just to get some good feedbacks, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to get the wife to let me go, I'd like to do something fun this summer before I start school again in the fall. I'd love to meet some of you guys as well.

Not this year, too busy with my new company. But, the shipping/fulfillment company is in Denver, so next year I could do a write-off.:mug:

Okay...SWMBO and I are officially in. We just booked flights and reservations.

We get in Wednesday night before the "real" festivities at the conference start. I'd be TOTALLY game to just have a quiet HBT only evening at a local brew pub or something. We are even up for a balls out pub crawl too.

We are definitley in for the Thursday Pro brewers night, and Friday's Club night. I have contacted the AHA on what we need to do for a booth. Those that are bringing beer kegs--we need to get together (prolly a separate thread) and decide how we are going to do this. We will also need a unique theme as well.

We have to leave Saturday--as we are meeting up with some friends/family on the second leg of our US tour. Honestly--I'd be happy with attending club nigh tonly...but...we are in.

So...let's get discussing.

And who else is going?

Dude said:
Okay...SWMBO and I are officially in. We just booked flights and reservations.

We get in Wednesday night before the "real" festivities at the conference start. I'd be TOTALLY game to just have a quiet HBT only evening at a local brew pub or something. We are even up for a balls out pub crawl too.

We are definitley in for the Thursday Pro brewers night, and Friday's Club night. I have contacted the AHA on what we need to do for a booth. Those that are bringing beer kegs--we need to get together (prolly a separate thread) and decide how we are going to do this. We will also need a unique theme as well.

We have to leave Saturday--as we are meeting up with some friends/family on the second leg of our US tour. Honestly--I'd be happy with attending club nigh tonly...but...we are in.

So...let's get discussing.

And who else is going?
I'll be there and because I live here I can bring a corny or 2. Do we need to bring a variety or one theme beer?
Edit: I've only got a simple system with 1 cobra tap. Will we need to have a better system?

RichBrewer said:
I'll be there and because I live here I can bring a corny or 2. Do we need to bring a variety or one theme beer?
Edit: I've only got a simple system with 1 cobra tap. Will we need to have a better system?

We can have a variety....the more variety the better!

I can send you a box with faucets and gear beforehand....do you have a CO2 tank?

We should really try to come up with some kind of neat way to dispense the beer. 2 years ago the brewboard guys dispensed from a computer that had 4 faucets drilled into the sides. It rocked.

Dude said:
We can have a variety....the more variety the better!

I can send you a box with faucets and gear beforehand....do you have a CO2 tank?

We should really try to come up with some kind of neat way to dispense the beer. 2 years ago the brewboard guys dispensed from a computer that had 4 faucets drilled into the sides. It rocked.
I've got a 10 pound CO2 tank. It should do for dispensing If we come up with something maybe I could put it together. I'm semi handy with wood.

EDIT: Maybe I should re-phrase the last sentence.:drunk:
I've got some tools and do a bit of woodworking so maybe I could build something.

I'm in. SWMBO and I are off on Thurs - Sun.

Dude: Are you going with the 4 Points?

Rich: Can you bring a Couch and a TV?:D

I also have several faucets and misc fittings. I'll take an inventory.

First thoughts are randalls. Many, many randalls. Or One Two or three stage randall with bypasses at each stage.

olllllo said:
I'm in. SWMBO and I are off on Thurs - Sun.

Dude: Are you going with the 4 Points?

Rich: Can you bring a Couch and a TV?:D

I also have several faucets and misc fittings. I'll take an inventory.

First thoughts are randalls. Many, many randalls. Or One Two or three stage randall with bypasses at each stage.

Yes, 4 points.

Randalls would be awesome. We could feature our booth on randallized and non-randallized beer. We'd be the hit of the show. That is a kick ass idea.

Dude said:
Rich...once we get more into this--maybe we could design a panel of some kind to attach the randalls--more to come!!
If we come up with I design I'd be happy to build it.:mug:
I honestly have no clue what a randall is. :eek:

SWMBO and I will definitely be there as well. We are driving out and will get to Denver on Wednesday. I'm planning on hitting the Falling Rock that night. Let me know what I can do to contribute to the booth. I have a jockey box, Co2, etc. I have a small car so I was actually thinking of renting something bigger for the trip just so I could haul stuff out.

Also staying at Four points.

Okay, so far we have (as definites):

ollllllo (and SWMBO)
Brewtopia (and SWMBO)
Dude (and SWMBO)
Rich (SWMBO?)

Brewpastor (Maybe?)

That's it? WTF!!!!

Anyone think of a good theme yet? Seeing we are an online based club...what about some kind of computer theme? Or are we just going to go traditional and do the wood bar thing? Need to get our heads together!

Dude said:
Okay, so far we have (as definites):

ollllllo (and SWMBO)
Brewtopia (and SWMBO)
Dude (and SWMBO)
Rich (SWMBO?)

Brewpastor (Maybe?)

That's it? WTF!!!!

Anyone think of a good theme yet? Seeing we are an online based club...what about some kind of computer theme? Or are we just going to go traditional and do the wood bar thing? Need to get our heads together!
Not sure about my SWMBO. I just registered myself for the entire event.
I'm open to any theme. The computor idea might work.

Computer idea sounds good. Will we have access to connectivity so that we can have HBT up and running at the booth? Also, maybe some computer towers with taps coming out the fronts? Just some ideas. Just need to figure out how to tie bikini's and St Pauli Girl outfits into the computer theme.

Brewtopia said:
Computer idea sounds good. Will we have access to connectivity so that we can have HBT up and running at the booth? Also, maybe some computer towers with taps coming out the fronts? Just some ideas. Just need to figure out how to tie bikini's and St Pauli Girl outfits into the computer theme.

I don't know if we should steal that idea unless we can expand on it...but brewboard did that a few years back. They had taps coming out of the sides of the computers..it rocked pretty hard.

I'll bring my laptop--hopefully the hotel has wireless and we can connect. Shoot...I'll even hook up the webcam while we are at it.

A lot is going to depend on if Rich and/or Brewpastor are goign to build/bring the bar type deal....once we get that sorted out, maybe we can start brainstorming.

The ball is rolling on Club Night. We are getting a booth for sure. I'll keep everyone informed if any news comes about.

Brandon,
It's so good to hear from you!! I don't think I've seen HomebrewTalk Brewers. What is your URL? Anyhow, I would love to sign you up for a booth at Club Night at this year's National Homebrewers Conference!! Here is some additional information regarding Club Night.

Club Night is the event that is scheduled for Friday night, June 22, during the conference. At this point, it's scheduled to go from 7:30-11:30 on that Friday night so that means you will want your "booth" (table) set up and ready to go by then.
Basically you will be assigned a "booth" (which will most likely be about a 6 foot table and space around that) where you will serve whatever homebrew you want to bring from your club. Most clubs usually pick a "theme" for their booth and decorate, etc their booth, as well as possibly "dress up" to go along with that theme. You will need to bring your kegs up, or bottles of beer if you're not kegging. The conference will provide refrigerated storage for you, so when it's time for Club Night we will then bring your kegs/beers out of the storage there at the conference and deliver them to your booth. You will also need to bring along your own tap system or whatever you plan to use for taps. I believe the conference will provide the CO2 for you as well as tubs for your kegs and ice. You will need to let me know, as the date gets closer, what other equipment your club may need. In your case, I'm not sure if you guys will be serving beers like the other homebrew clubs, so you'll have to let me know if there's any specific equipment, supplies, etc that you may need for your "booth".
There really isn't any restrictions that I can think of for your "booth", other than I believe in the past the hotels usually don't allow us to hang anything on the wall behind the booths/tables. You can hang things from your table though, or if you build/bring any other type of structure for your "booth", you can obviously hang whatever you want from there (last year in Orlando, one of the clubs brought a "tiki bar" that they had built and that was their "booth". Their theme was a tropical/island theme.).
It sounds like we will have access to the ballroom (where Club Night will be held) starting at 4:30pm on that Friday so we will have plenty of time for set-up (will just need to be at your booth ready to serve your beer, or whatever, when the doors open for the event at 7:30).
Let me know what other questions you have. I will add your club to the list and will be sending out additional communication soon to gather information from the clubs regarding how much beer they plan to bring (so we can plan the amount of space we'll need for the refrigerated storage) and what equipment you may need, etc.
If you're planning to bring beer, as far as the amount of beer to bring, assume there may be about 800 people coming through on Club Night sampling beers. I've seen clubs bring anywhere from 4 to 20 5-gallon kegs. I think if you bring less than 4, that's still okay, you just may end up running out before the event is over.
Anyhow, like I said, let me know what other questions you have for now. Also, check out the AHA website for the latest conference information: http://www.beertown.org/events/hbc/index.html
Thanks so much Brandon!! I look forward to seeing you in June!! Cheers!

Dottie Clapp
2007 NHC Club Night Coordinator

Dude said:
A lot is going to depend on if Rich and/or Brewpastor are goign to build/bring the bar type deal....once we get that sorted out, maybe we can start brainstorming.
As I said before, I'll be happy to build something. Would it set on the table or the floor? Maybe break down for easy transportation?

Since most of us do this (HBT) from our living rooms or some other place in our house, I think it would be cool to have it set up like a living room or maybe set up a small 3 tier system and use that for the backdrop. But it sounds like you may not be able to do to the size of the area you will have.
Man I wish I could make it out but right now I am leaving for Bike Week on Wed and have to space my trips out hopefully I will make to the GABF..

Here is a pic of the brewboard tower...I'm sure we could expand on something like this....

636-tower.jpg

I've got an idea for a back up plan, in the event of some sort of equipment failure, major flakeout, ect.

Since we are the self-proclaimed black-sheep coming late to the party and ready to mess with the green board, we could easily go with The Animal House Theme.

It would be easy to get (even make at the last minute) HBT shirts using the Greek alphabet Eta Beta Tau.

We could then wrap our Jocky box / Searving Taps thusly:
ahdm01.jpg

BTW: I have access to a two tap Jockey Box and I own a 1 tap set-up.

Brilliant! :rockin:

I've got an idea for a back up plan, in the event of some sort of equipment failure, major flakeout, ect.

Since we are the self-proclaimed black-sheep coming late to the party and ready to mess with the green board, we could easily go with The Animal House Theme.

It would be easy to get (even make at the last minute) HBT shirts using the Greek alphabet Eta Beta Tau.

We could then wrap our Jocky box / Searving Taps thusly:

BTW: I have access to a two tap Jockey Box and I own a 1 tap set-up.

I'm entering 4 beers.

I'm entering a pale ale, a brown ale, an orange pale ale, and a blueberry brown ale. The two fruit beers obviously are using the two main beers as the base.

This will be my first contest ever. What can I say, I've never believed in "working up" to something. You want to learn how to swim, jump in the deep end.

:mug: GOOD LUCK TO ALL MY HBT BROTHERS AND SISTERS :mug:

I was just on the Beertown.org website looking at the list of speakers and saw that my buddy Tom Schmidlin is speaking. I didn't even know. He was the 2006 Beer Drinker of the Year. Pretty funny.

Alright guys I reserved a car today and extended my stay at the Four Points Sheraton through Saturday. I was originally going to head out of town Saturday but decided to stay for the awards banquet. Anyway, I'm renting a small SUV (Ford Escape or similar) so I can carry a bunch of stuff. I can bring out my two tap jockey box and a couple of kegs. I'm also planning on packing plenty of NW beers that you guys probably can't get in your areas to share. We are driving to Denver via Santa Rosa so I'll fill up on some Pliny as well. Can't wait. Let's get to planning that booth!

Back