Reading a temperature strip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincybrewer

Reaction score
Okay, maybe I should have figured this out prior to my 4th batch, but I have a Belgium wit fermenting right now and I'm trying to control the temps, but I'm not 100% sure how to read my thermometer strip on my bucket. Currently it has a dark blue marked at 61 degrees, a teal-ish color on 63 degrees (there is no 62), and a brownish color at 64 degrees. Which one should I read? I'm trying to have it ferment around 68 and have read where active fermentation (not sure if mine is still considered active - airlock, yes i know, stopped bubbling and it's been 4 days) adds about 5 degrees.

I read the one in the middle and guess at it. Temps aren't exactly constant throughout the day anyway unless you have a fermentation chamber or swamp cooler, etc. that can do it.

In cases like that, I usually just read the one in the middle. If there are 2 then I just average them together.

That's what I've been doing so I'll just stick to it.

I guess that leads to my next question though. What would be considered active fermentation? Should I still be adding about 5 degrees to my ambient temp to arrive at my estimated fermentation temp even though it's been a few days and it appears that the vigorous fermentation has slowed down?

You have the thermometer on the bucket right? That's (more or less) your fermentation temperature. I estimate about 5 degrees above my thermostat temperature during active fermentation, I take the bucket thermometer to be accurate.

Yea, I have it on my bucket. I thought the temps inside the bucket would be higher than the strip placed on the bucket.

The really active fermentation only last 2 to 3 days. If you have a carboy, you can see the yeast swirling about and your airlock is probably bubbling. Once that part of the ferment is over, your flavors are likely pretty well set and you can let it warm up to get the last few points of gravity and start the conditioning. i like to let mine have another 2 weeks or more at room temp before I bottle.

Okay, thanks for all the great responses. I'd say active fermentation is over although now that I know the temperature on the strip is about what the beer is actually fermenting at I think I need to raise the temps up to about 68. Hopefully having it down to 61-63 didn't hurt anything or stall fermentation..

from all I understand, low-mid 60s during initial fermentation is pretty ideal. Then, if you can get it up to 68-70 for the later part of fermentation will clean things up nicely.

Latest posts

Back