New Keggle via pedalbiker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to post the keggle I pick up from pedalbiker (HBT handle) via ebay
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpedalbiker53QQhtZ-1

You can opt to add a stainless drain tube, but I opted to go with a hopstopper. pedalbiker did me a solid by providing the measurements so that I could move on the hopstopperand site tube ihomebrewsolutions.
http://www.ihomebrewsolutions.com/TheHopStopper.html
http://www.ihomebrewsolutions.com/IHSSightTubeKit.html

beerforbreakfast has also ordered form pedalbiker and has had some good feedback.

3712-CIMG0106.JPG

3712-CIMG0110.JPG

I decided that I wanted to perk up the exterior a bit so i decided to sand and buff out the keg. I started with a 120 grit and worked up to 400.

I guess you could go as fas as 1000 if you wanted to get a mirror like finish. I stopped after 2 hours while I watched the football game in the garage.

Here you can see a before and after.
3712-CIMG0111.JPG

Here is the result.
3712-CIMG0114.JPG

I was all set to brew that day, but i aborted...

Reason. Bears won and it Frickin Snowed in the PHX.
Coincidence?

BTW. It'll be 70° here on SB Sunday so Colts will prevail.

I ordered one too - just waiting for it to get here. I'm planning on adding the hopstopper and site as well. Seems like it's taking forever but it's just that I'm anxious.

Say, Hows that Banjo burner work? I bought one from Amazon but it was just the burner, no regulator or stand. Just today I got a 30PSI regulator set-up for it but I still have to adapt it to my old turkey fryer stand.

Evets said:
Say, Hows that Banjo burner work? I bought one from Amazon but it was just the burner, no regulator or stand. Just today I got a 30PSI regulator set-up for it but I still have to adapt it to my old turkey fryer stand.

They named it Kick A for a reason. It's a nitro burnin funny car.

beer4breakfast said:
Looks nice! I think I might sand mine too. Did you do it by hand or use a vibrating sander?

I'm really impressed with the quality of the keggles that pedalbiker turns out. The two I bought are really well made. He told me he will soon start selling false bottoms that fit them, too. My MLT needs one.

I did the first pass with an orbital and the rest by hand. I.m thinking about doing my cornies as well.

Mine just arrived this morning. I'm at work, so I am just leaving it in the box for fear that if I open it I'll just want to go home and put it to use.

Having not accumulated many power tools I don't have an orbital. Would I be insane to try and shine this thing up completely by hand? Or is this a good excuse to expand the tool collection? :D

If you're doing it by hand, expect to spend 2-3 hours on it. It'll probably have a better finish in the long run.

I got the higher grit wet sand paper at a Checker or Autozone. I'm sure there's a drilll attachment option.

When you start out with the low grit, the object is to even out the finish. As you work up, you'll want to use an up and down sanding motion. EDIT: (This will build up your man-boobs)

Don't spend a whole lot of time on the bottom band as the flames will discolor it.

olllllo said:
If you're doing it by hand, expect to spend 2-3 hours on it. It'll probably have a better finish in the long run.

I got the higher grit wet sand paper at a Checker or Autozone. I'm sure there's a drilll attachment option.

When you start out with the low grit, the object is to even out the finish. As you work up, you'll want to use an up and down sanding motion. EDIT: (This will build up your man-boobs)

Don't spend a whole lot of time on the bottom band as the flames will discolor it.
Cool... thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, if I develop on my man-boobs anymore I'm gonna need a manzere. Oh well.

For folks looking for an easier way there is scotch brite hook&loop adapters and scotch brite hook&loop pads for shining up stainless kegs. Start with the fine grit (Blue) pads and finish with ultra fine (Gray) pads for a near mirror finish, anything coarser leves scratches in the metal that take a while to buff out.

Just got mine today! I'm SUPER excited. It looks AWESOME! I didn't expect it to be this clean - it's practically spotless!!

Can't wait to get a beer going! Now I gotta run out and get the rest of my AG stuff

I emailed petalbiker and told him I thought he could sell more keggles if he offered 1 with 3 couplers. That way you could add a thermometer, valve and site glass.
He seems intrigued if anybody else is interested give him a shout. Man I also noticed yesterday his prices have jumped. colored cornies have gone from $80 to $120. keggles up to I guess he has all the biz he needs or wants.

nkonkie said:
I emailed petalbiker and told him I thought he could sell more keggles if he offered 1 with 3 couplers. That way you could add a thermometer, valve and site glass.
He seems intrigued if anybody else is interested give him a shout. Man I also noticed yesterday his prices have jumped. colored cornies have gone from $80 to $120. keggles up to I guess he has all the biz he needs or wants.
I got mine with three couplers for that very reason. All you have to do is ask pedalbiker and I'm sure he can hook you up.

nkonkie said:

I thought about adding a third, but figured I could just use one of the ports for both the thermometer and site gague.

rdwj said:
I thought about adding a third, but figured I could just use one of the ports for both the thermometer and site gague.

That's interesting something I didn't think could be done.

How would you go about doing that?

trinitone said:
I got mine with three couplers for that very reason. All you have to do is ask pedalbiker and I'm sure he can hook you up.

I did. And you are right he asked me if I want one

rdwj said:
Like this...

[These guys sell the whole set-up

Cool
I didn't even think about the fact that the thermometer probe doesn't take up all the space in the coupler and all you need is a T

A picture is worth a 1000 words

thanks

Thanks to all those who purchase our keggles. The corny kegs are mostly 80.00 for 4. Last trip I found a very few blue tops and thought I see what they were worth. I do have false bottoms and siphon tubes done just not posted yet. Also have Fermentap sight gauges now available. Once again
Thanks To All. Happy Brewing

Pedal and Ms Pedal

pedalbiker said:
Thanks to all those who purchase our keggles. The corny kegs are mostly 80.00 for 4. Last trip I found a very few blue tops and thought I see what they were worth. I do have false bottoms and siphon tubes done just not posted yet. Also have Fermentap sight gauges now available. Once again
Thanks To All. Happy Brewing

Pedal and Ms Pedal

I'm looking at an AG setup and considering one of your setups. They are really nice! You could use the keggle as a mash tun and boil kettle right? I mean I could mash and sparge into another vessel then pour back the sweet wort and boil? Sorry if it's a silly question but I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. I would need to buy a new kettle as well as a cooler to make into my mash tun. For the price of everything I would need I could buy one of your keggles. Then all I would need is a wort chiller.

Dan

Just got my keggle from pedalbiker today. Its in great shape. It looked like he even spent some time polishing it. Good welds and no dents. If anyone needs to buy a pre-made keggle he is the one to get it from.

Thanks for the purchase John. I am building a kettle for you with the same love of the craft as every brew that will come from your brewery

Thanks
Terry

The one that I got still has some sticker goo left on it. I have tried googone, but still can't get it off. Any ideas?

Kladue,

Where were you able to purchase the scotch-brite pads and the hook and loop adaptor? Is there an adaptor that will allow the pad holder to attach to a drill? I don't have an angle grinder and really can't see buying one just to polish my kegs. Are these pads specifically for polishing metal and do you need to use some kind of polishing compound with them?

Also, since my kegs are "repurposed" there is a stripe of black paint around them that is really smooth and shiny (maybe oil-based). Is there a chemical to remove the paint that won't adversely affect the stainless steel?

Colinsbrew
If you are using a drill motor the 3M Roloc style adapter would work for using the Scotch Brite pads. As to locating a supplier localy check with automotive paint and body repair products retailer, tool sales, or try this link http://dealtime.com/xDN-tools_and_hardware--scotch-autobarn_com. The Pads are color coded by grit and you should start with the blue color pads (fine)and finish with the gray (ultra fine), size is dependant on the drill motor capability. The 3M pads are normally used dry but have tested them with a light oil and did not see much difference in the finish. If you were to use paint stripper on the paint band there should be no damage to the stainless steel keg. Last bit of advice is to wear a dust mask when polishig as inhaling the stainless steel dust may not be good for your health, (look up hexavalent chromium on the web).

am i the only one to use Bar Keeper's Friend for polishing Stainless?

i have been going steadily through my soda kegs, polishing them by hand with BKF, and though they don't have a mirror finish, they look a LOT better than they used to. it's taken me a while to get through my kegs since i have over 30. haha.

i may try to do this for the keggles i have as well, but that would just take so much time. heh.

Okay...I just searched high and low for the 3M Scotch-Brite Hook and Loop drill adaptor at Lowe's. The Closest thing I came to was a GatorGrit 2" hook and loop adaptor which would work fine except I'm sure their color coding is different. I definately want a bigger size attachment so it doesn't take me an entire day to do two kegs. Do you know the grit number on those Scotch-Brite pads in case I need to go with a different brand for lack of supply around here?

On a side note, isn't hexavalent chromium the stuff that was giving all those people cancer in the Erin Brokivich movie?

Have you checked with any of the auto body repair shops to see where they are purchasing their 3M products from. The 3M products dont sell well enough to the general public to make it on to the lowes/home depot shelves. You might check with a hardware store and see if they can bring in the 3M products you need. As for an alternitive product you need the fine grit~220 to very fine~ 320 abrasive pads.
After years of cutting, welding, glueing, and using various solvents they finally figure out that exposure to those things are bad for your health after it is too late.

I was checking out the Bar Keepers Friend website and couldn't figure out the difference between two of their products. One is just regular BKF the other is BKF Cookware. Both say they clean and polish but one is more money than the other. Anyone know why??

no idea. i just get mine at walmart. i assume it is the 'standard' BKF

I tried out the Barkeepers Friend tonight on one of my kegs and that stuff works miracles!! For $1.67 a can you can't beat it. I barely had to use any of it and it shined my keg up nice as well as some of my copper pipe. Granted, it's not a mirror finish but who's complaining?

Back