New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was about to get a pound of citra when it was cheap at Yakima Valley Hops yesterday, but I missed the boat. So I've got 1/2lb each of El Dorado and Amarillo on the way. I already have 1/2lb of Simcoe and 4oz of CTZ around.

So I'm interested in what combos to try with some mix of these as well. I'm thinking of some mix of El Dorado, Amarillo and Simcoe.

As an aside, maybe a new thread for just NEIPA hop combos in the Recipes subforum would be useful?

EDIT TO ADD: Ah, maybe this is the thread I'm looking for?

Here is what I did this last weekend. I would stick with the citra if you can.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495768013.023187.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495768024.936075.jpg

Here is after a dry hop in primary and still need to do a keg dry hop.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495768061.290586.jpg

A buddy and I are doing a split batch with 5 gallons of London ale III and the other 5 with Omega NEIPA.

Silly question, haven't read everything but do you guys use kettle finings at all?????

Some still have until recently, but I think they're coming to the realization that kettle finings are at best wasted in this style and at worst counter productive. You wouldn't kettle fine a Hefeweizen, why would you kettle fine an NEIPA?

Some still have until recently, but I think they're coming to the realization that kettle finings are at best wasted in this style and at worst counter productive. You wouldn't kettle fine a Hefeweizen, why would you kettle fine an NEIPA?

The recipe I just followed had whirlfloc and I elected not to use it for these same reasons.

Do you guys have any malt sweetness in this style? I always have it after it goes into the fermenter but the yeast always takes mine so low and it makes it very bitter and dry(almost grassy), leaving no sweetness at all to back the hops. All of my IPAs so far have been that way since I started using the Grainfather. I'm almost starting to think I need to bump my mash temps from 153 to like 158 and start taking temp readings at the top. I don't recall ever having this issue with my 3 vessel setup when I was using it, but it's been so long I can't remember.

Do you guys have any malt sweetness in this style? I always have it after it goes into the fermenter but the yeast always takes mine so low and it makes it very bitter and dry(almost grassy), leaving no sweetness at all to back the hops. All of my IPAs so far have been that way since I started using the Grainfather. I'm almost starting to think I need to bump my mash temps from 153 to like 158 and start taking temp readings at the top. I don't recall ever having this issue with my 3 vessel setup when I was using it, but it's been so long I can't remember.

What base malt and yeast are you using?

What base malt and yeast are you using?

I've done two attempts of the OPs recipe. The first one I used the recipe in post#1. I used 1318 yeast. It came out pretty good but was too dry and bitter. It finished at 1.006-1.008 instead of the calculated 1.018 I believe. The second attempt was with post #1418 and I used the gigayeast Conan. That beer came out a clear Amber color and tasted horrible. Very very "grassy" was how my LHBS put it. They said it tasted like drinking fresh grass clippings, and that's after sitting in the keg for a month+. I just did a Focal Banger semi clone using mostly 2 row, some pilsner, and a pound of crystal 15. I bumped my sulfate to 200ppm on this one and used 1318 with a 2 liter starter. Starting gravity is 1.067 and calculated to finish at 1.018 but we will see. I used a very small charge of warrior for bittering and nothing else at all until flameout. I used 4oz split between citra and mosaic and held at 210 to steep for 10mins, then chilled. It's only getting one big (6oz) dry hop for 4 days this time and then cold crashed.

I've done two attempts of the OPs recipe. The first one I used the recipe in post#1. I used 1318 yeast. It came out pretty good but was too dry and bitter. It finished at 1.006-1.008 instead of the calculated 1.018 I believe. The second attempt was with post #1418 and I used the gigayeast Conan. That beer came out a clear Amber color and tasted horrible. Very very "grassy" was how my LHBS put it. They said it tasted like drinking fresh grass clippings, and that's after sitting in the keg for a month+. I just did a Focal Banger semi clone using mostly 2 row, some pilsner, and a pound of crystal 15. I bumped my sulfate to 200ppm on this one and used 1318 with a 2 liter starter. Starting gravity is 1.067 and calculated to finish at 1.018 but we will see. I used a very small charge of warrior for bittering and nothing else at all until flameout. I used 4oz split between citra and mosaic and held at 210 to steep for 10mins, then chilled. It's only getting one big (6oz) dry hop for 4 days this time and then cold crashed.

i like 10-20L crystal at 0-10% to give some perception of sweetness. If you don't do a mashout, try to heat quickly to denature beta amylase. try a mash at 160

i like 10-20L crystal at 0-10% to give some perception of sweetness. If you don't do a mashout, try to heat quickly to denature beta amylase. try a mash at 160

I agree mate. Recently I have been playing around with German weyerrman carahell. It's wonderful stuff about 8-12 lovibond. It has a gramcracker flavor that is not caramelly nor raisiny

how was hothead different? i am getting apple and maybe some blackberry from hothead with super fast ferments.

I got more "fruity/juicy" from this yeast than any of the others. I didn't get apple, but some berry of some sort, maybe apricot? It fermented fast but it scared me because I didn't get much Krausen which is unusual for this yeast and it dropped like playdough when it was done. I'm really liking this hop combo!

This one came out pretty good. Part of my new series of beers focusing on a single hop in the dry hop. I used a little columbus in the boil to bitter and the rest is all El Dorado. Got a bit of a watermelon thing going on. Going to continue to brew a series of these to really get to learn what each hop brings to the table. Cheers!

34562644750_2a603a67f2_k.jpg

I made one using Funk Weapon#2 from Bootleg Biology. This Brett strains puts out a lot of fruit esters and keeps the funkier barnyard, horse blanket esters low. I loved how the beer came out. It had a Brett smell but the taste was pure fruity goodness, like every type of fruit you could imagine. I used Citra, Mosaic, Azzaca for hops which helped too.

What ratio did you go with on that hop combo? I was thinking of doing the same, but haven't used Azacca before. Planning to do a split batch between Conan and 1318 for the fermentation though, but that Funk Weapon #2 sure sounds interesting.

This thread has been an awesome read. I've read every page and I have to say, I don't think S-04 gets much credit as a yeast choice. If you shake a 1l starter with a pack of s-04 and pitch at high krausen it makes a fantastic version of this IPA/apa. And the ability to keep dry yeast vs liquid make it my go to.

I've heard it's the same as 007? Which I know makes an excellent NEIPA

This thread has been an awesome read. I've read every page and I have to say, I don't think S-04 gets much credit as a yeast choice. If you shake a 1l starter with a pack of s-04 and pitch at high krausen it makes a fantastic version of this IPA/apa. And the ability to keep dry yeast vs liquid make it my go to.

I've heard it's the same as 007? Which I know makes an excellent NEIPA

I'm still working on it, but one of the 2 primary yeasts in all Tree House IPAs I've looked at is genetically very similar to S-04 (and makes great IPAs).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=623221

Drinking my latest two iterations of this recipe now. Original recipe bumped up to 1.062, using Imperial Barbarian yeast. Columbus to bitter both of them, then 100% Azacca in one and 100% Galaxy in the other.

Azacca: Papaya, pineapple, earth, strawberry. Not as bright as Citra or Mosaic, more on the earthy/savory spectrum but with really nice fruit notes. This beer tasted like gasoline (disgusting) after over a week in the keg, but after two weeks it is delicious. Slightly less hazy than average for the recipe.

Galaxy: Aroma is nose in a bag of hops, smells like pungent tropical fruit and candy. Lots of passion fruit, citrus, mango and dank in the flavor. Very sweet. This beer is much hazier than the Azacca version. I like this a little better than Azacca.

Azacca + Galaxy (blended from the taps): Well... let's just say two hops are better than one. I'm getting tons of flavors from both described above, and it is much more balanced and delicious than either hop on its own. My favorite out of the three.

And finally, to keep the tally running, here are all the combo's I've tried so far (roughly ranked favorite to least favorite):

1) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy
2) Mosaic
3) Citra/Equinox
4) Citra
5) Galaxy
6) Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus
7) Azacca
8) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy (sacch trois)
9) Nelson

Drinking my latest two iterations of this recipe now. Original recipe bumped up to 1.062, using Imperial Barbarian yeast. Columbus to bitter both of them, then 100% Azacca in one and 100% Galaxy in the other.

Azacca: Papaya, pineapple, earth, strawberry. Not as bright as Citra or Mosaic, more on the earthy/savory spectrum but with really nice fruit notes. This beer tasted like gasoline (disgusting) after over a week in the keg, but after two weeks it is delicious. Slightly less hazy than average for the recipe.

Galaxy: Aroma is nose in a bag of hops, smells like pungent tropical fruit and candy. Lots of passion fruit, citrus, mango and dank in the flavor. Very sweet. This beer is much hazier than the Azacca version. I like this a little better than Azacca.

Azacca + Galaxy (blended from the taps): Well... let's just say two hops are better than one. I'm getting tons of flavors from both described above, and it is much more balanced and delicious than either hop on its own. My favorite out of the three.

And finally, to keep the tally running, here are all the combo's I've tried so far (roughly ranked favorite to least favorite):

1) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy
2) Mosaic
3) Citra/Equinox
4) Citra
5) Galaxy
6) Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus
7) Azacca
8) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy (sacch trois)
9) Nelson

Can I ask what you liked least about the Nelson? I did an all Nelson Saison that I really enjoyed and thought it would play really well in an IPA. Although the Saison yeast I used may have really brought the Nelson wine character to the fore front.

Fair enough. I may increase my bittering addition to get more like 50 IBUs, 30 is a bit low. Interestingly, the WeldWerks recipe I posted does about 0.6 oz of Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado as a FWH, and then flameout and whirlpool hops, and they calculate their IBU as 55. But I know that IBU measurement is tricky stuff. Thanks for the input. On an unrelated note, I am bottling this beer (no keg setup yet)...according to this thread bottled NEIPAs often turn to brown sludge after a couple weeks. Going to brew it this weekend anyway, we'll see what happens I guess!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=597557&page=12

Long overdue update on this. I made my NE IPA, 3 gallon batch. Mostly 2-row, plus about a pound of white wheat and flaked oats, and a little bit of carapils. Sorry I don't have the recipe in front of me. Mashed at 149 F. Bittering was magnum, then whirpool/dry hop was a mix of Mosaic and Vic Secret. Yeast was Wyeast 1318. I don't have the best temp control to keep my carboy cool, so the temp did go all the way up to 72 F.

Brew day was Sunday April 30. 8 days after brew day I bottled it (on May 8), it was done that quick! After one week in the bottle it was tasting gooooood, but undercarbed. After 2 weeks (May 14) it was perfectly carbed.

Now about 2.5 weeks later, I sadly only have one bottle left. But, it is STILL holding up well in the bottle. No brown sludge, no nothing. The flavor has perhaps dropped off slightly at most, but I can't even really tell that. Good aroma, although I screwed up by adding some of the dry hop before high krausen started, so some of the aroma was lost. It is smooth and flavorful, nice grapefruit and citrus tones from the Vic Secret and Mosaic. Nice mouthfeel from the water profile and the oats/wheat, although I wouldn't have minded it a little thicker/more mouthfeel. Next time I think I'll increase the oats and wheat, and increase the chloride amount. I may also mash higher, at say 152 for more body.

I shipped some to my brother-in-law in Boston who can get Trillium etc, and he said it was one of the best NE IPAs he's ever had. A local friend here in Denver also said it was one of the best he'd had, commercial or homebrew. And to top it off my homebrew club had a meeting at Cerebral Brewing in Denver last night, who make some of the best NE IPAs around here (and yes, there are lots of good brewers of NE IPAs in Colorado, see WeldWerks). The head brewer/owner Sean there talked about their process, and I brought in some of my NE IPA to try. Sean really liked it, thought it was well made, so that was validating. And other people in the club liked it a lot too.

So, boasting aside, the point is that it is possible to make a solid NE IPA no matter your setup, even if you're bottling. Just when you're bottling make sure your process is swift and precise and NO SPLASHING. Don't let the fact that you can't keg discourage you from making this style. I was apprehensive about it given what I'd read about bottling these, but I had no issues.

Here's a pic from a bottle I opened about 2 weeks ago.

ipa.jpg

How's it taste? I have a pound of simcoe I have thought about using for this.

I really dig it. I couldn't pick which hop I wanted for a single hop APA, so I decided to go with the classic. Has a nice tangerine pith sort of flavor, I'm sad that the beer in the picture was the last pour!

Can I ask what you liked least about the Nelson? I did an all Nelson Saison that I really enjoyed and thought it would play really well in an IPA. Although the Saison yeast I used may have really brought the Nelson wine character to the fore front.

I ended up liking the Nelson beer, but it took a long time to mellow out. It just had too much of a sharp earthy bite to it until 3-4 weeks in the keg. Definitely needs something like Citra in there to balance it out in a recipe like this with so many hops.

...So, boasting aside, the point is that it is possible to make a solid NE IPA no matter your setup, even if you're bottling...

Here's a pic from a bottle I opened about 2 weeks ago.

Congrats berndawg thats a nice looking beer. I am curious what the beer looks like a few weeks later. I switched back to 1318 from Conan and that seems to have helped my bottled NEIPAs but I do notice that after a few weeks whatever haze was originally present has dropped almost clear.

I ended up liking the Nelson beer, but it took a long time to mellow out. It just had too much of a sharp earthy bite to it until 3-4 weeks in the keg. Definitely needs something like Citra in there to balance it out in a recipe like this with so many hops.

I can see that. My saison was aged a bit as I had some brett in there. Like I said, I want to try Nelson in an IPA, but think I'd pair with some Mosaic or Galaxy.

I can see that. My saison was aged a bit as I had some brett in there. Like I said, I want to try Nelson in an IPA, but think I'd pair with some Mosaic or Galaxy.

I will most definitely be using Nelson in this recipe again, but likely as 1/3 of the total hops. Maybe something like Citra/Mosaic/Nelson or Galaxy/Simcoe/Nelson, who knows? There are so many good Nelson IPA's out there.

I brewed a bunch with Nelson before they became impossible to find. I really liked Nelson paired with Ron Mexico(HBC 438 I believe?). This was before I read this thread so they were more west coast style at the time but I remember myself and my friends really enjoying the beers

I have to go against the grain on this one. I have never really liked any beers with Nelson in it. Not sure why just one of my least favorite hops in this style of beer.

I have to go against the grain on this one. I have never really liked any beers with Nelson in it. Not sure why just one of my least favorite hops in this style of beer.

I agree - never been a personal favorite of mine either. But, plenty of people don't like my favorites either - Citra and Galaxy. Always worth trying things out yourself to see what fits personal preferences.

cecXLoE.jpg

I made a version of this this with:
Mosaic/El Dorado/Citra
47% Maris Otter
26% 2-row
19% Wheat malt
3.5% Honey malt
3.5% Flaked Barley
Yeast Bay Vermont Ale Yeast

If I had to change anything I would probably drop the 2-row and go all Maris Otter for base malt to add a little more bready/malty taste and swap out the Citra for Nelson Sauvin as I think that would blend better with the other hops. As it is right now it is still very tasty with lots of citrus and sweet fruit, without being excessively hoppy or bitter. Sometimes I worry that beers that have a ton of Mosaic get a dank quality which is fine if that's what you want but I prefer it when the mosaic provides more of a berry or tropical taste.

I kept this in primary for 2 weeks then bottled, cracked open the first bottles after 2 weeks. Few weeks later I can already tell the hops are falling off but I won't be able to keg for a while. Overall this is probably one of my favorite homebrews so far, I'm looking forward to using elements of this beer in other recipes down the road.

My latest iteration, a New England style white IPA. brewed with coriander, chamomile, black pepper and cumin for spices. Amarillo, mandarina Bavaria and huell melon hops. Pretty darn good

image.jpg

Back