Tap Water for StarSan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
I've been using tap water to mix up my StarSan and it just occurred to me that this might be a bad idea. Could the alkalinity of the tap water negate some of the acid, making the pH too high for the StarSan to be effective?

Thanks!

If so, I have been doing it all wrong. Maybe I am naive but I would expect the instructions to be very clear if tap water is not to be used.

Tap water is fine for use, but not for storage. If you use distilled water, you can use the solution over and over and over again. With tap water, once the solution gets cloudy....toss it.

With my water the solution gets cloudy instantly. I just use it and toss it, i don't reuse it. Distilled water is so much better for me.

Hmm, PH test strips could be your friend here but most of the time, I use a gallon up in about three brewdays and the first few gallons I tested...never varied from "fresh" so it was still doing its thing.

I use tap water with a PH of 8. The PH f the star san solution has been fine after 4 weeks and multiple uses... I usually start to see crud floating before the PH rises... I have a bad tendency to drop in spoons and stuff without rinsing so grain/hops gets into the bucket. Mine turns cloudy as soon as I make it...

I've noticed that my star san won't be clear the next day after I make it using tap water. I need to try it with distilled water. My buddy makes his with tap water and his will last a while. He is on a different water system though. I thought it was my bucket at first then I left it in a glass carboy overnight and it still got cloudy so now I think it must be my water

I use tap water with a PH of 8. The PH f the star san solution has been fine after 4 weeks and multiple uses... I usually start to see crud floating before the PH rises... I have a bad tendency to drop in spoons and stuff without rinsing so grain/hops gets into the bucket. Mine turns cloudy as soon as I make it...

I see the same thing...I think that if the pH is fine than its ok for use, cloudy or not.

Tap water is fine for use, but not for storage. If you use distilled water, you can use the solution over and over and over again. With tap water, once the solution gets cloudy....toss it.

I use tap water, it keeps virtually forever. Mine has never gone cloudy and has never run out. I keep it in a 5 gallon water bottle, when it gets down to less than 2 gallons I add a couple more. Going for about 5 years now.

I just check the pH occasionally.

I use tap water and never had a problem. But I also don't save it for more than 24 hours. It gets cloudy instantly.

If I plan on keeping it, like in a little spray bottle, I will use RO or distilled water, and it doesn't get cloudy with either.

I also always use a little more StarSan than recommended, roughly 25% more.

I use tap water and never had a problem. But I also don't save it for more than 24 hours. It gets cloudy instantly.

If I plan on keeping it, like in a little spray bottle, I will use RO or distilled water, and it doesn't get cloudy with either.

I also always use a little more StarSan than recommended, roughly 25% more.

It's still fine if it gets cloudy. Just check the ph before use.

True. To clarify, I don't toss it because it gets cloudy. I usually toss it because I don't plan on using it for a couple weeks.

I think what a lot of folks are saying is...as long as the PH is still good, not need. If it makes you feel better and you do not mind the incremental expense, that is fine too.

I use hose water for my star San. 2oz for 2 gallons. I store it for weeks in glass 1 gal jugs and fill my spray bottles with it. Never had an infection, never had a problem. Also have won numerous completions with my beer. Don't sweat it.

Back