Seeking gas valve recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgingHopster

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm building a 4 burner stand for a 4 vessel 2BBL system. I'm using natural gas 32 tip jet burners (320K BTU). This will be a semi-automated system. I would like to regulate mash temperature automatically. I'm pretty sure I need a modulating valve. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

I don't know of a single burner that will do the same BTU. I have built a few stands that have multiple BG-10 style burners (you could also use the larger BG-14) in a manifolded gas delivery system. If you used like 3 burners where two of them were enable with a manual vale, you could have a 3rd one running on a simple on/off control valve.

The reason those jet tip burners suck so bad is that the air intakes are a few inches from the flame area and the flow flames seem to pollute the combustion air with CO. The BG style burners pull the air in through those regulated throats.

Can I just say that your burner might be rated at 320k btu...but unless you are using 3/4 inch supply line, you will never reach 320k BTU because that’s what it takes to provide that many BTUs

3/4 inch line is good for 300k over a 10 foot line, and line size below 10ft is no longer linear.

I’m guessing you have a standard 3/8 line, so you’ll get about 72k tops regardless of burner specs.

Sorry to burst the bubble but those specs are only there to try and oversell people

Just realized it said natural gas.
3/4 in line is pretty much the same for natural gas as propane, but you probably have a bigger line than 3/8 if you’re running natural gas.

To have your 320k burners actually Brodie 320k you’ll need at least 1 inch gas supply line, but then of course you run into the reduction in size at the connection to the burner so you’ll lose quite a bit.

I’m amazed that you are putting a 4BBL HLT (pretty much what it takes for a 2BBL system) on a commercial Homebrew burner designed for 5-30 gallon vessels

Latest posts

Back