Omnipollo Yellow Belly Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chichum

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone can assist in coming up with a recipe for this beer. I love it. I'm curious how they have such a thick mouthfeel. My guess is they have a high final gravity and lactose. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Love this beer and really want to try to make something similar to it.

Here's something close to what I was going to try to do... any advice?

5.5 gallons

13.2 lbs Maris Otter
2.0 lb Biscuit malt
2.0 lb Crystal 30 malt
2.0 lb Chocolate malt
1.25 lbs Dehusked Roasted Barley

Mash rest for 60 mins with temp @ 156

Hop Boil
Centennial 3 oz @ 60m
Centennial 3 oz @ 15m
8oz Lactose @ 15m
Centennial 1.5 oz @ 5m

Roasted Cocoa nibs 4.0 oz in secondary for 7 days
1lb PB2 in Secondary for 7 days

Dude. I love Yellow Belly.

I have a bottle of the Sundae edition in my "cellar", just waiting for the right time to crack it open.

Hops wise, will Centennial be the right choice? I'd be tempted to get the bittering going and maybe go for something a little less grapefruity for aroma, maybe even a bit more British, like EKG or Willamette...

Having brewed a few times with PB2 I wouldn't recommend using it at all. It's VERY hard if not impossible to get it entirely in solution. Generally the first few pours off the keg are murky and peanut buttery delicious, followed by the rest of the keg being nearly completely void of peanut butter character.

Also, Omnipollo uses extract for this beer. I've had great success using Lorann Oils Super Strength Peanut Butter flavor (its a very concentrated extract). It provides a legit peanut butter flavor that doesn't come off as fake. I dose at 1.8 ml per liter to get a solid flavor contribution.

Hope this helps!

Drop the PB2, there is no peanut or peanut substance in Yellow Belly.

This has been confirmed by Buxton a number of times, and I had a friend who has major peanut allergy try it after the confirmation.

I was wondering if someone can assist in coming up with a recipe for this beer. I love it. I'm curious how they have such a thick mouthfeel. My guess is they have a high final gravity and lactose. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Love this beer and really want to try to make something similar to it.

Here's something close to what I was going to try to do... any advice?

5.5 gallons

13.2 lbs Maris Otter
2.0 lb Biscuit malt
2.0 lb Crystal 30 malt
2.0 lb Chocolate malt
1.25 lbs Dehusked Roasted Barley

Mash rest for 60 mins with temp @ 156

Hop Boil
Centennial 3 oz @ 60m
Centennial 3 oz @ 15m
8oz Lactose @ 15m
Centennial 1.5 oz @ 5m

Roasted Cocoa nibs 4.0 oz in secondary for 7 days
1lb PB2 in Secondary for 7 days

Would be great to hear how this clone attempt turned out!

Back