Blonde Ale Murican Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1056 (or many other ale yeast)
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days, free rise from 65-70
Tasting Notes
Just a really nice, basic, easy drinking blonde ale. Great on a hot day or when you want something simple. Also, an automatic favorite for the BMC drinkers.
This beer serves two purposes for me.
1.) It is just a great beer to have on tap. Easy drinking, low ABV., and a crowd favorite.
2.) I use this beer to "make yeast." I generally run yeast through many beers, and I use this beer as a low hopped, low gravity way to generate a lot of yeast for other beers. There are no dry hops, low kettle hop, I let the trub settle out in kettle as much as possible - and as a result I end up with nice, clean yeast a the end of fermentation. After racking it to keg, I leave a quart or more of beer behind and swirl the yeast up into suspension and pour it off into sanitized pint mason jars. I can generally get 4-6 pint jars of slurry. Store them in the fridge and then pull them out and make a starter when I need one. I usually make another blonde ale with the 6th jar, and collect another 6 jars of yeast. I can routinely brew 15-20 beers pretty easily off of one pack of yeast.

Grain Bill:
I will include % of grain bill and amounts I use for 6.5 gallons.

Shoot for approximately 1.040-1.045 OG
Looking for 3.9-4.2% ABV or so

45% Rahr 2 Row (4.5 lbs)
45% Golden Promise (4.5 lbs)
4% Wheat (.5lbs)
4% Flaked Barley (.5lbs)
2% Honey Malt or Cara 20 (.25 lbs)

Mash @ 155 for 60 minutes.

** You could probably simplify this grain bill to all 2 row or all Golden Promise for the base (or pilsner).

Hops:

1 ounce of Liberty @ 30 minutes
1 ounce of Liberty @ Flameout

Water:

Use 100% RO Water for mash and sparge.
Shoot for around 50/50/50 on Calcium/Chloride/Sulfate

I add .3 grams/gallon gypsum and .3 grams/gallon CaCl to mash and sparge water.
I add .5 ml of Lactic Acid per gallon of mash water
I add .1 ml of Lactic Acid per gallon of sparge water

B'run Water Numbers for me:
Ca: 48
Mg:0
Na:8
Sulfate:45
Chloride:55
Bicarbonate:16
pH:5.30

Water - the simple version:
*Use 100% RO water
*Per 5 gallons of mash water and per 5 gallons of sparge water.
*Use a 1/4 tsp. for measuring.
*Add a heaping 1/4 tsp of both gypsum and CaCl to both mash and sparge.... This is approximately 1.5 grams of both gypsum and CaCl to both mash and sparge.
*Add lactic acid as listed above (or, add 2-3 ounces acidulated malt to grain bill.)
*That will basically get you right in the ball park

Yeast/Fermenation:

I use a lot of different yeasts with this beer - basically any yeast I want to build up to use in multiple beers. However, for the beer itself - I think 1056 works best.

That said, other yeasts I have use in this on a regular basis are: Conan, 1968 and 1318.

I generally start it around 65 and let it free rise to 68-72.

I usually keg it around day 12 or so.

Other Notes:

I started brewing this purely to make yeast - but, it is probably the second most "popular" beer I brew among my basement regulars. Anyone will like this beer from strict BMC drinkers to more seasoned craft beer drinkers.

Thanks for sharing. I'm looking for a nice low ABV beer to have on tap alongside the heavy hitting IPAs I'm making. Looks like a solid beer, now I have something to brew this weekend!

I've made this a couple times when I was serving to a big group of friends, got the recipe from the few places it's posted in Baufessor's NEIPA thread. Awesome beer, always gets a lot of complements.

Brewed this afternoon. I planned on lower efficiency but ended up at just over 80% which resulted in an OG of 1.060. Was wondering if this would lead to an unbalanced brew given the hop variety & schedule. Any way to ‘save’ it? Was really looking forward to this one. I went with Denny’s Favorite 50 on the yeast side.

Brewed this afternoon. I planned on lower efficiency but ended up at just over 80% which resulted in an OG of 1.060. Was wondering if this would lead to an unbalanced brew given the hop variety & schedule. Any way to ‘save’ it? Was really looking forward to this one. I went with Denny’s Favorite 50 on the yeast side.

You could add more water to lower your OG and increase your batch size. There are several calculators online here is one:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/dilution-and-boiloff-gravity-calculator/

Brewed this 3 March 2018. Followed the recipe including water profile, however I did deviate. I used another .5lb wheat because I didn't have flaked barley on hand and used .5lb carahell instead of honey malt/c20. I also used Northern Brewer hops because that's what I had at the time and added 5 ounces of honey at flameout, this helped me to get right at 1.045 OG. Used Imperial Organic "flagship" yeast. FG 1.012 and kegged this baby up yesterday. Let sit on 30 psi for 24 hrs, purged and lowered to 5 psi serving pressure. I did use gelatin but see attached pics of the first pull. She sure does have a nice blonde color to her! I couldn't resist, so I pulled a small pint to try her out. Let me tell you, this tastes great!! Thanks braufessor for the recipe and water profile. Give it a few weeks and I'll post another picture. Cheers :mug:
IMG_0742.jpg
IMG_0741.jpg

Last edited:
This may sound like a newb question but....This one is next up on my list and I am going to sub some Hallertau Mittlefruh hops because that's what I have on hand. With those hops at 3.8%, Beersmith puts me at only 11 ibus. Just wondering if I should...

a) RDWHAH and follow the recipe
b) Add a little FWH to get to 20 ibu
c) Up the 30 min. addition to get to 20 ibu
d) something else?

Thanks for any help you can give me

This may sound like a newb question but....This one is next up on my list and I am going to sub some Hallertau Mittlefruh hops because that's what I have on hand. With those hops at 3.8%, Beersmith puts me at only 11 ibus. Just wondering if I should...

a) RDWHAH and follow the recipe
b) Add a little FWH to get to 20 ibu
c) Up the 30 min. addition to get to 20 ibu
d) something else?

Thanks for any help you can give me

I would add some extra and get it to 20 IBU. I am guessing even adding a half ounce or so at 60 minutes would get it in the ball park.

Made this with Denny’s Favorite 50 yeast and an ounce of Citra dry hop. Turned out amazing. Smooth and tasty. Kicked 5 gallons at my pig roast last night. Thanks for the recipe.

Going to be brewing this soon so I can get a bunch of 1318 to start making your NEIPA!

One question tho- In the recipe you have wheat...is it flaked wheat? Wheat malt?

[/QUOTE]
Going to be brewing this soon so I can get a bunch of 1318 to start making your NEIPA!

One question tho- In the recipe you have wheat...is it flaked wheat? Wheat malt?

Regular pale wheat (Briess or Weyermann or whatever) - If I use flaked anything I specify it as flaked. (That said, I find flaked oats, barley, wheat all somewhat interchangeable for the "flaked" portion of by beers).

Last edited:
Brewed this today mainly as a way to get a bunch of yeast. My BeerSmith wasn’t working correctly and I overconfidently guessed on the amount of water I needed. Sparged with about a gallon less than I should have. OG is way higher than it should be obviously. Think I should add some water to it?? Even though the plan was for the yeast I’d like to be able to have a good easy drinking balanced beer as well.

I don't see an issue with adding water if you are looking to lower the OG. Brewersfriends has a dilution calculator you can plug the numbers into to get it where you want.

Nice. Thought I remembered reading about that calculator before but couldn’t remember what it was. Added just over a gallon and now I’m exactly where I wanted to be! Thanks!

Brewing this tomorrow with some 1318. I got some Nelson Sauvin for free so I’m going to try it with that instead of liberty. Thanks brau for the recipe!

Brewed this today mainly as a way to get a bunch of yeast. My BeerSmith wasn’t working correctly and I overconfidently guessed on the amount of water I needed. Sparged with about a gallon less than I should have. OG is way higher than it should be obviously. Think I should add some water to it?? Even though the plan was for the yeast I’d like to be able to have a good easy drinking balanced beer as well.
Yeah - I brew a number of beers where I overshoot gravity on purpose and then add preboiled water to it allowing me to make 8-10 gallons of beer instead of 5 out of a single batch.

Braufessor you ever add fruit this beer? Thinking this would be a good base for a strawberry blonde

Just racked my batch to the keg last night! Went from 1.050 to 1.012. It’s a little stronger than intended, but it already tastes pretty smooth and light.

The great thing with this recipe is harvesting the yeast! I was able to get a few mason jars of 1318. Waited until the krausen fell (about 9 days and gravity readings stable). Racked the beer to keg, leaving a few quarts in the carboy. Swished the slurry around and then poured into mason jars.
B57B2710-6CDD-488F-97B3-DD79230F9A0C.jpeg

Fair warning to anyone doing this - you might want to leave the lid loose on your mason jars overnight or so. I guess swirling the slurry around woke up some of the yeast because there was definitely some pressure build up in the jars.

Thanks again brau

Since the goal of this recipe is to make yeast, does anyone use nylon bags to keep hop debris out? Or is it so minimal, don't worry about it?

Since the goal of this recipe is to make yeast, does anyone use nylon bags to keep hop debris out? Or is it so minimal, don't worry about it?

Very minimal. I didn’t use a bag or anything. If you look at my pic posted above, you can see very little debris in the jars. All I did was rack to keg then swirled the slurry that was left behind and poured into the mason jars

Would it be ok to use Centennial hops (sticking to the 20 ibu) - that's what I have on hand in excess of...

Made a batch of this last weekend (October 4th), using Wyeast 1318 and Galaxy hops (have a ton on hand). used .25 oz at 10 mins, and 1 oz at flameout, so I could hit the 20 IBU mark. Smells lovely in the fermenter, can't wait to keg it this Friday.

Here's my version. Used S04 instead of 1318. Turned out really well. Went with Huell Melon and Mosaic. Didn't use any finings so it's a little cloudy which is what I wanted.
Brewed this mainly for my wife and she likes it so that's a plus.
Next time I will increase honey malt and a little higher on the IBU's (went with 30) may increase to 40 to see how that plays out.
Definitely want to get my hands on some 1318 to harvest some for future brews.
I brewed the original version but this updated version is better.

Also, I used to harvest a lot of yeast. My wife complained about taking up an entire shelf of mason jars so started using dry yeast. Now I'm back harvesting some, mainly 1318 and Conan (no 1318 yet) but it's on the docket for an upcoming brew.

Attachments

• blonde 101618.JPG
    blonde 101618.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
This was my first brew on my new electric biab rig. I haven't brewed since I had my first round of kids 7 years ago! Just got it into fermenter. 1.048
I used .5 oz of vic secret @30 min and 1 oz at flameout. Only part of my rig I need to work on is cooling
Got her down to pitching temps in about 12 minutes but that was two huge sinks full of ice water through my counter chiller that I made back in 2008. I just hate cleaning it lol. I'm looking at that jada king cobra (or whatever it's called). Looks way easier to clean lol.

Thanks for the recipe! I'll let ya know in 20 days or so how she tastes.
Neil

Attachments

• 20181020_164909.jpg
    20181020_164909.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 214
This recipe was awesome. The grain bill is perfect for this style and just enough IBU's to have some hop come through. I was able to get 4 jars of 1318 and if I would've sterilized more jars I could've pulled another 2 or 3. I'd recommend trying galaxy as the hop in the recipe. This beer won't last long.
20181024_185844.jpeg

Been brewing since the mid nineties and I did something today for the first time while brewing this beer. I forgot my 0 minute addition. I found it perfectly labeled and ready for me to pitch at flameout. I line up all of my additions in marked cups so I don't forget. Well, I forgot.

I'm going to dry hop with them at day 3 and hope for beer.

This beer is awesome! Just wanted to say that. If you want something simple but still really tasty and easy drinking, brew this!
Thanks Braufessor :mug:

Just brewed this one yesterday, easy brew and hopefully ill get nice amount of yeast to collect. Thanks braufessor for the recipe :bigmug:

Latest posts

Back