Mini-fridge wiring (compressor) help! a.k.a. hot-wiring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
Inspired by this thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/can-i-hot-wire-freezer-compressor-495619/) I am hopeful I might be able to fix a problem that was self-inflicted.

I gutted a mini fridge to use the guts in a KegErator. Short story, thinking I'd be running it off my BCS-462 I just cut out the stock temp probe and thermostat.

Oops! I can get it to run, and to cool, but it does not get really cold like it used too (the freezer compartment does not get any frost built up on it at all-- actually frost starts to develop on the line from the compressor that feeds to the inside of the fridge to the freezer plate- I.e. It is an external piece of tubing off of the compressor that is frosting).

Unfortunately, I do not have the stock wiring diagram, and my searches on here and google proved fruitless in finding a resolution.

So I come to you for help. Please help me wire this properly so I can run my DIY KegErator. I've attached pics to show what I have.

If it would be easier to say wire this through and STC vs. into my BCS I am more than okay in getting an STC if it will solve my issues.

If you need other pics let me know!

img_1894-64065.jpg

img_1895-64066.jpg

img_1897-64068.jpg

img_1896-64067.jpg

Oh, I am actually using two mini fridge guts, so if I can somehow use the 2nd fridge stock thermostat for both (I wised up on the second mini fridge) that would be great too. Pics of 2nd fridge thermostat and wiring:

img_1898-64069.jpg

img_1899---copy-64070.jpg

Inspired by this thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/can-i-hot-wire-freezer-compressor-495619/) I am hopeful I might be able to fix a problem that was self-inflicted.

I gutted a mini fridge to use the guts in a KegErator. Short story, thinking I'd be running it off my BCS-462 I just cut out the stock temp probe and thermostat.

Oops! I can get it to run, and to cool, but it does not get really cold like it used too (the freezer compartment does not get any frost built up on it at all-- actually frost starts to develop on the line from the compressor that feeds to the inside of the fridge to the freezer plate- I.e. It is an external piece of tubing off of the compressor that is frosting).....
I'll assume in order to make it run, you are simply connecting the two wires that were connected to the, now removed, thermostat. If a section of tubing between the compressor and the evaporator plate is frosting, that didn't before, I would suggest that the tubing may have been kinked at that point and there might not be a solution for the problem.

........Unfortunately, I do not have the stock wiring diagram, and my searches on here and google proved fruitless in finding a resolution.

So I come to you for help. Please help me wire this properly so I can run my DIY KegErator. I've attached pics to show what I have.

If it would be easier to say wire this through and STC vs. into my BCS I am more than okay in getting an STC if it will solve my issues.
Oh, I am actually using two mini fridge guts, so if I can somehow use the 2nd fridge stock thermostat for both (I wised up on the second mini fridge) that would be great too. Pics of 2nd fridge thermostat and wiring:
I would think an STC1000 could be used to replace the removed thermostat. Power for the STC1000 would need to be wired from the AC input. The two units could certainly be wired together but the STC1000's maximum current capacity of 10A might be breached. An SSR could be used in between the STC1000 and the dual units.

The second unit's existing thermostat COULD be used for both compressors IF the wiring that will be carrying the dual currents is of sufficient capacity.

I'll assume in order to make it run, you are simply connecting the two wires that were connected to the, now removed, thermostat. If a section of tubing between the compressor and the evaporator plate is frosting, that didn't before, I would suggest that the tubing may have been kinked at that point and there might not be a solution for the problem.

Thanks for the reply... As of now I've hooked the white and gray wire shown (that used to go to the thermostat) directly to a power cord. I have used white as neutral and gray as the power line. Should they be switched?

As far as the frosting line... it never frosted before, so maybe when I mounted the evap plate inside, I kinked it somehow.

Maybe I will try and reorient it and see if I can "unkink" it... At this point it isn't working, so it isn't like I can make it worse really.

Thanks for some insight.

:mug:

First thing is get the kink out! After that it should work the way you have it wired. Make sure you have a delay setting when turning on the compressor. You don't want to burn it out.

If the setup is trash you could always pick up a cheap AC on craigslist. I am using one with a STC wired directly. I have three wires coming from mine because it uses a cap to start the compressor. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply... As of now I've hooked the white and gray wire shown (that used to go to the thermostat) directly to a power cord. I have used white as neutral and gray as the power line. Should they be switched?

As far as the frosting line... it never frosted before, so maybe when I mounted the evap plate inside, I kinked it somehow.

Maybe I will try and reorient it and see if I can "unkink" it... At this point it isn't working, so it isn't like I can make it worse really.

Thanks for some insight.

:mug:
I'm not sure I understand the wiring.

Were the white and gray wires shown in photo four originally attached to the thermostat? If yes, were they the ONLY two? If yes, then attaching a power cord to these two wires would not be the appropriate way to supply power to the unit. Was there any other wiring disconnected during tear down?

It's hard to say much more without knowing what the other ends of the white and gray cables in the first two photos are attached to. I assume one has an AC plug on the end of it? And the other has the white and gray wire in the fourth photo?

Be very careful with the tubing. "Unkinking" can VERY quickly lead to loss of refrigerant.

Back