Hazy little thing IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrew

Reaction score
I've been hooked on this beer lately. I think the fact that I can get this beer easily here in jersey makes me like it that much more, whereas suedo sue and zombie dust and stuff like that i cant. So naturally I want to clone it now.
Can someone critique my recipe?

OG: 1.063
FG: 1.014
40 IBU

12lb pale 2 row
1lb munich
.5lb flaked oats
.5lb Acidulated

.4 oz magnum 40 minutes
.5 oz citra steep 20 minutes
.5 oz comet steep 20 minutes
.5 oz simcoe steep 20 minutes
.5 oz el dorado steep 20 minutes
.5 oz mosaic steep 20 minutes

Keg hop
.5 oz citra
.5 oz comet
.5 oz simcoe
.5 oz el dorado
.5 oz mosaic

I'm thinking chico yeast or s04
And im figuring mashing at 154.

Any advice would be great thank you.

This post has become dormant for a bit now. Dont know if nobody really cares for this beer or if its just kinda newer to the market yet, or if there's better hazy ipas out that i just havnt had yet, or maybe just the fact that its almost available everywhere (I think). I will be trying to brew this soon. I will post my results, should anyone be interested or become interested.
Cheers.

I had the beer a few times and it’s a nice beer.

Sue is a single hop beer made with citra. They have also made an imperial called king sue that uses a single hop of galaxy. I’ve tried to get info from TG but they are pretty guarded.

Zombie dust is mostly if not all citra and they use wyeast 1968 as the House yeast.

I’d probably cut the the Munich in half and add a bit of wheat. I’d use magnum to bitter at 60 min and I’d shoot for 20-25 ibu’s. Then I’d bring most of the late addition hops in at 5 min and at whirlpool. I’d whirlpool for 20 min then begin to chill with an emersion chiller to knock below 160 and I’d let it settle for another 20 min before chilling to pitching temps. You’ll get the body from the wheat, oats and Munich so I’d probably mash at 153. I’d ferment at 68 day one and go to 72 by day three and hold it there until complete. I’d also dry hop during active fermentation at day three or so. I think your best off with an English ale yeast rather than Chico you’ll want a bit of fruit from a slightly warm English ale fermentation.

Thank you for the response. I too was leaning more towards the s04 or maybe something like the London ale yeast. Thank you,for the advice on the Munich, I'll make the change.

I’ve tried the original, and I think your recipe is probably way short on hops. When I do NEIPAs or NEAPAs it’s more like 12-16 oz of hops, and you’ve got just over 5. I would target at least 4-5 oz for the hop steep (I usually cool to 170 before adding those hops), 4-5 oz dry hop, and 3-4 oz in the keg. That’s what I’ve found is key to getting that huge hop aroma/flavor.

Also, I do about 2 lbs of flaked oats in the mash to really impart that silky mouthfeel (it also hazes the beer up a lot).

I considered the hops maybe way short. Is the amount of hops is what makes it hazy? I thought it was dry hopping during active ferment is what made it hazy.

Also, I emailed sierra nevada and asked if they use the Chico yeast for the hazy ipa. They said yes its a house ale yeast that they use. So us05 may work.

I’d do 1318, if I were making it (or possibly another flocculant English yeast). I’ve read that the haze is partly due to yeast floccing out before the dry hops are added. But also I loathe Chico yeasts.

I've never had the beer, but I'm wondering why that much acidulated malt? Are you attempting to adjust the pH low, or is the beer that tart?

I'd definitely not use a chico strain, and use the Wyeast 1318 for a NE IPA.

AFAIK SN almost always uses chico, and Hazy Little Thing isn't nearly as hazy as many of the 1318 variants I've experienced, which leads me to believe they stuck with their usual.

edit: I see that was already confirmed upthread.

I havnt brewed it yet. Hoping to get everything together for this weekend. I'm re-reading my recipe and checking the sierra nevada site, and I'm not sure where I got Acidulated. I think that's supposed to be wheat, but re thinking the recipe, I maybe better with a 1/2lb of munich and 1lb of wheat. Planning to up the whirlpool and dry hops across the board .
Also, still tossing up between s04 and us05. One would think s04 would provide better results, but I still think the original might be made with Chico yeast.
Ill keep the thread updated.
Thanks everyone.

Slight update. Have all the hops and grain bill to do this. Was hoping to do this this weekend, but just won't have time. Hoping to brew it next weekend.
My current recipe:
12lb pale malt
1lb Munich
.5 lb white wheat
.5lb flaked oats
Mash at 154
.5 oz magnum 30 minutes
.25oz citra flame out
.25oz comet flame out
.25oz simcoe flame out
.25oz mosaic flame out
.25oz el dorado flame out
.75oz citra whirlpool @170 30 minutes
.75oz comet whirlpool @170
.75oz simcoe whirlpool @170
.75oz mosaic whirlpool @170
.75oz el dorado whirlpool @170
1oz citra dry hop day 2-4
1oz comet dry hop
1oz simcoe dry hop
1oz mosaic dry hop
1oz el dorado dry hop
S04 yeast

Will keep you posted.
Cheers

Keep us updated! I love that beer as well and I like that I can get it easily. I was Jealous of my cousin in PA who could get NEIPA's a bit easier than I could till that one came out. SA's NEIPA is great as well.

So I tried some today. Its good, but different then Sierra Nevada's. Its too bitter and its too thin.
The body is my fault, I was low on my OG. I'm plagued with inconsistent gravities, but that's a whole nother story. As for bitterness, I'd move my bittering addition to maybe 30 minutes, and maybe just move the flame out addition to the whirlpool addition.
The aroma seems to be almost spot on and color close. Its pretty hazy as well.
It taste good, but almost more like a session ipa, rather then a juicy hazy ipa, again I believe due to my poor efficiency.
Ill brew it again with the corrections I mentioned above, and may change over to 1318 yeast.
If anyone else takes a stab at this please post your results.
Cheers

For this style my usual strategy is at most 20 IBUs of bittering, and then at least 6 oz of whirlpool hops, 6 oz for the first dry hop, and a couple ounces of cryo hops in the keg.

After drinking a few more pints of it, it actually does have a good juiciness to it. As it warms in the glass, there is a slight vegetal flavor to it, im guessing since I dry hopped it about 16 hours after ferment start, and left it for 6 days. It also has a bit of spiciness to it. Im guessing its from my fermentation. I don't have anyway to control ferment temps yet, and I think it was hovering around 72 during primary.
I have a secondary mini fridge that im planning to equip with a digital temp controller.
My changes for the next batch include:
Shooting for closer to 20ibus for bittering as you said ong
Changing my flame out to all whirlpool additions
I may adjust my grain bill to less Munich, and more wheat
Making a stronger effort for better efficiency
Fermenting with temp control
Dry hopping for less time and using my hop strainer to try and keep more plant matter out.
Do cryo hops prevent vegetal flavors?
Thanks again

The cryo hops have a lot less plant matter in them, so they do tend to impart fewer grassy flavors in my experience (the increased ratio of lupulin to other mass means you use about half the amount for the same effect).

I like the beer as well. I decided to give this one a go soon. Did you brew an adjusted second batch as yet? Did bottle conditioning impact the flavor down the road? Thanks.

I have not brewed it again. On my list soon. Im doing the zombie dust clone next and epic pale ale from the old can you brew it podcast episode. After I use up those grain bills, I'm planning to come back to this.
I never bottled it, only keg. So I cant say how itll condition in the bottle.
The changes im planning next time is to cut the munich to .5lb, and up the white wheat to 1lb.
The magnum i might change to a quarter ounce and bitter with it at more like 50-60 minutes. And finally, I'd probably try it with us05 and dry hop at high krausen again. Sierra Nevada said they used the chico yeast in it.
I dont know if these changes will actually get you closer, but those are my planned changes when i brew it again.

How did it go?
I’m new to home brewing and this my favorite beer,love to have a good kit recipe for this beer. (I have not made my own malt)
This post has become dormant for a bit now. Dont know if nobody really cares for this beer or if its just kinda newer to the market yet, or if there's better hazy ipas out that i just havnt had yet, or maybe just the fact that its almost available everywhere (I think). I will be trying to brew this soon. I will post my results, should anyone be interested or become interested.
Cheers.

I think it's a great beer however if you're looking to brew a NEIPA...something more like Treehouse or Trillium, then there are other recipes on this site that'll give you that full hop saturated flavor if that's what you're after.

Back