Brewpiremix initial setup help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin283

Reaction score
Hello. I've recently built a pi/arduino and installed brewpiremix. I'm able to communicate with my pi through PuTTY headless, and have installed brewpiremix successfully. This is my first time opening brewpiremix through my pi's unique IP. Script says its running. There is an error message in the header that states: "could not receive ver from your controller, please (re)program your controller". Did I miss a initial setup of the brewpiremix software after it's installed? Or.... after it's installed, it should receive data from my probes and chart on the graph? Any troubleshooting steps would be very appreciated! Thanks

Somewhere along the line the Arduino needed its sketch/firmware loaded. I'm guessing that's the issue.
I'm still running the original/classic BrewPi so I can't help with that, but Lee B is likely lurking out there...

Cheers!

Thanks. I was able to do a little digging and found the proper instructions for getting the right firmware loaded onto my arduino. Working properly now! Thanks

I have one more question. I’ve done some searching but maybe I’m not being specific enough. I’m able to access brewpi through my phone while connected to my local IP. How do I access it while I’m on another network? I work away for two weeks at a time and having control while at work was half the reason I built this! Thanks!

Accessing agents on your home LAN from the outside means allowing "in-bound" requests to propagate through any NAT device (ie: routers) to the target LAN agent. As routers by default drop most in-bound requests on the virtual floor, typically this means setting up a "Port Forwarding" rule on the router (or routers for multi-level NAT'd networks) that will vector a request to your WAN IP address to the target device.

As an example, I have a number of systems on my networks that I can access from anywhere in the world by using my WAN address along with a port specifier that differentiates between target systems. In some cases an executable or page is also needed to fully qualify the path.

Of course opening ports through a router also exposes access to your LAN through that port by others. Be wary of what capabilities might be handed to the script kiddies out there.

So, find your router manual and read up about port forwarding...

Cheers!

I use a combination of VNC Viewer and remote.it to access my pi, and in my case, Fermentrack and Raspberry Pints while I’m on the road. The remote.it was recommended by @LBussy as a more secure means of access than port forwarding.

I use a combination of VNC Viewer and remote.it to access my pi, and in my case, Fermentrack and Raspberry Pints while I’m on the road. The remote.it was recommended by @LBussy as a more secure means of access than port forwarding.
Do you know of a walk through for this? I've scanned and searched through the thread but not finding much luck. I've downloaded remote.it and vnc viewer but i'm getting tripped up trying to set things up. Appreciate your help! I have two brews in my chamber and I'm getting ready to head back to work remotely in a couple days for 2 weeks. Thanks a ton.

Full disclosure...this is not my strength, but I'll lead you as far as I can.

First, there is a level of complexity you have to overcome. Reading your original post, you have a headless install of Raspbian. If you want to run the free version of VNC viewer, you cant have a headless pi. If your willing to pay for the Enterprise Version of VNC viewer, you can run headless. This was the dilemma I ran into on my initial build.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/vnc/README.md

I had no success creating a virtual desktop, so I added a desktop and moved away from a headless install.

With all that being said, you don't necessarily need VNC viewer to use remote.it

The first thing you need to do is create a remote.it account. (you can also create an account in the interactive installer, but I set mine up before installing on the pi)

https://docs.remote.it/getting-started

Once you're signed up. go to your pi and SSH in...

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt full−upgrade
sudo apt install connectd
sudo connectd_installer

the third command installs remote.it on your pi, the last command opens the installer. (I think you made it this far, but I wasn't going to make any assumptions)

Once installed, you will be in an interactive installer. A walk through of the interactive installer is in the link above. To access your brewpi you'll want to connect to the web based server (http). If you want to connect to your pi GUI, you'll need to activate the VNC Server.

Download the remote.it app onto your devices...and you can now safely and securely, access your pi anywhere that you have an internet connection.

Last edited:
I've already made it through most of that, but I'm unable to get VNC viewer to properly connect to my pi. I'm assuming its because I have the free version like you said. I'm able to communicate with my pi through remote.it on my phone. On your second to last paragraph, you say... to access my brewpi i'll want to connect to the web based server (http). How do I accomplish this with remote.it communicating with my pi on my phone? As you can tell, this is definitely not my strong suit. But, I'm trying to soak in as much information as I can and I'll figure it out. Thanks again.

From terminal run the command:

Code:
sudo connectd_installer

That will open the sign in procedure.

Choose option 1

Adjustments.JPG

Enter remote.id username
Enter remote.id password

Once completed, you need to enter/register the device you want connect to.

Once the device is registered, you need to set-up the services you want.

Adjustments.JPG

Choose option 1.

To access your web interface on the pi, you’ll need to set the HTTP (port 80) service.

To access the VNC, you’ll need to set up the VNC (port 5900) service.

Once that is set up, you should be able to open the remote.it app, log in to your account and your device should be available. Click on your device, and the services you activated should be available.

Hi, I'm migrating from Legacy and I'm having trouble with the initial install whatever combo of instructions I use, this is the error message I'm getting, any ideas?

Setting up venv for BrewPi user.
usage: venv [-h] [--system-site-packages] [--symlinks | --copies] [--clear]
[--upgrade] [--without-pip]
ENV_DIR [ENV_DIR ...]
venv: error: unrecognized arguments: --prompt bpr

*** ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ***
-------------------------------------
See above lines for error message.
Setup NOT completed.

Latest posts

Back