Brewing Apps for Palm - List and Reviews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
I know that palms are starting to be a little dated, but you can find them cheap or free now, and they can be pretty helpful on your brewday.

I bought a Palm i705 of ebay that can run all of the applications below.

I have searched for a while, and have found some applications. I will share all the links I have!

*Most of these can be ran on Palm OS 3.0 and higher, with the exception of Brew Builder*

-All in one Brewing Software-

1. BrewLogPro 2.2

By far my favorite application. When you first open it, there are two options: Start/Edit/View Brew Session and Quick Calculators. Listed on the next page will be your recipes, however, there are no preloaded recipes with this program. It is very easy to create a new brew and add all your ingredients with their specifics. The program uses databases to populate your hop, malt, and yeast ingredients, and the lists are pretty up to date and complete. However, the lists take a little while to load, so the program seems to slow down a bit before and after selecting your ingredients. Also, there is plenty of spots to add notes, procedures and variations.

The second part of the program deals with quick calculations, like strike temp, gravity correction, and co2 carbonation volumes to name a few..

This program is free for 30 days, and is $5 after that.. however, the authors email is no longer valid, so it looks [ame="http://rapidshare.com/files/239824120/Matthew.Rinker.BrewLogPro.v2.3.PalmOS.Cracked-NGNPDA.zip.html"]almost[/ame] impossible to get a full copy.

ss_animation.gif

BrewLogPro 2.2

I give it a 4/5

2. Brewculator

Brewculator huh? Worthless IMO.. Ingredients lists are outdated and thin, numbers that you input change after leaving a screen.. doesn't look like it has been updated in a long time..but it is free...

There are a quite a few preloaded recipes however..

I installed this and deleted it in about 20min..

Barely worth a 1/5

3. Brew Builder

Brew Builder is more of a series of interactive lists than it is a brewing application. You need a program called SmartList To Go before you can run this. It ain't cheap. However, Brew Builder's lists are free.

It is a good application, with tons of preloaded recipes. It is a little hard to use IMO because of the way the lists are setup. You will have to play with it a bunch to get everything figured out.. and it is easy to screw up one of the premade lists that go with Brew Builder. If that happens, you have to go back and reinstall that specific list.

One cool thing about this program (if I could figure it out) is the hop timer. You are able to set an alarm to go off at up to 3 hop additions, so you won't forget to add your hops anymore!

hops.jpg

Brew Builder

If I could figure it out, I would give it more than a 2.75/5

-Stand alone Calculators-

ProMash has available FREE 3 great little calculators
- AlcCalc- Calculate your alcohol content based on SG.
- HydroCalc - Adjust your hydrometer reading based on temp of your sample
- First Strike - Calculate your strike temp based on grain temp and poundage

strike1.jpg

First Strike

These all I give a 5/5, although a comparable version of all these are found in BrewlogPro, but still are nice to have for those quick calculations.

There ya have it.. if you happen to find anymore, let me know!

Thanks for the reviews of brew software for palms. I agree they're still a viable tool for brewers, definitely less bulky than a laptop.

Back