I don't care what you had for supper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
Mine was better.:rockin:

Sauerbraten with potato pancakes:

Supper2.jpg

I haven't had this since I was a kid and my grandma made it. Then about a month ago my Ma gave me a German/Viennese cookbook and this was the first recipe I looked at. The beef has been marinating since Tuesday. Wow. I wonder what the peasants had for supper tonight.......Dee-lish!

This terminology is the result of a whole bunch of people who are stuck indoors for the winter :D.

Good theory, but incorrect, at least for me. Winter is when I get outside. I'm stuck inside in summertime when it's too friggin' hot to go out. I sit inside with the air conditioner and ***** until around October.

Good theory, but incorrect, at least for me. Winter is when I get outside. I'm stuck inside in summertime when it's too friggin' hot to go out. I sit inside with the air conditioner and ***** until around October.

Although I agree with you completly...

Depends how you define "indoors". If you count my Clam as indoors, then I am fishing indoors in the winter...........

... I think you made my point :p ... BTW...You dinner looks wonderful.

Damnit boy I ain't had potato pancakes since I was a kid. I always had them with applesauce on top.... I need to hit the wife up and see what she's made of...

Church? Oh, you must mean football.

Of course where you live dictates the timing, but pre-game or during game it is called appetizers (and of course beer). Post game is Supper/dinner. :)

:mug:

So if you guys have dinner at noon, when do you have lunch?

:mug:

So if you guys have dinner at noon, when do you have lunch?

Two sets of games. The 10AM, ending at 1-ish, and the 1PM ending at 4-ish.
Dinner/supper after 4. Breakfast/Lunch merged into cocktails appetizers during the game. It's really quite logical. :D

Dinner/supper after 4. Breakfast/Lunch merged into cocktails appetizers during the game. It's really quite logical. :D

I know how we do out out here on the West coast (aka: the correct way), but I meant when do those snooty east coasters have lunch? Or are they too good for lunch? Bastards.

I know how we do out out here on the West coast (aka: the correct way), but I meant when do those snooty east coasters have lunch? Or are they too good for lunch? Bastards.

I grew up on the East coast. There is a variation that is actually beneficial. Lunch is at noon, which actually lays a good protein base down allowing greater alcohol consumption during the football games. Cocktails/appetizers during the game. Dinner/Supper is after 7PM.

Dinner/supper after 4. Breakfast/Lunch merged into cocktails appetizers during the game. It's really quite logical.
Everytime I go out west during football season I'm reminded at the awesomeness of living in that time zone. On the east coast the first game doesn't start until 1PM...and I haven't watched a Sunday night or Monday night game in years because they're on too late.

Regarding supper: I had a NY Strip and roasted asparagus...so I wasn't that far behind imo.

I always assumed the Germans ate so much sour/vinegary stuff because in centuries past they prob had a lot of sour/vinegary beer around that they needed to get rid of. I've just never developed a taste for it though.

No no no, you have it all wrong. You have lunch just before kickoff of the 1 oclock game. Then appetizers for the 4pm game then between the end of that game and the 8pm game you order deliver for dinner.

You goofballs! You don't have lunch on Sunday. Period.

You have brunch, then dinner at 2 PM. Popcorn during the night game. I can't believe I have to tell you guys everything!

Nice.

I'll see your Sauerbraten with potato pancakes

and Raise you

Home cooked steak and kidney stew with a herb dumpling crust made with AG stout wort and winter vegatables.

Everytime I go out west during football season I'm reminded at the awesomeness of living in that time zone. On the east coast the first game doesn't start until 1PM...and I haven't watched a Sunday night or Monday night game in years because they're on too late.

8 pm is too late? What are you, 200 years old?

You goofballs! You don't have lunch on Sunday. Period.

You have brunch, then dinner at 2 PM. Popcorn during the night game. I can't believe I have to tell you guys everything!

What do you expect from people on the coasts?

Mine was better.:rockin:

Sauerbraten with potato pancakes:

View attachment 13594

I haven't had this since I was a kid and my grandma made it. Then about a month ago my Ma gave me a German/Viennese cookbook and this was the first recipe I looked at. The beef has been marinating since Tuesday. Wow. I wonder what the peasants had for supper tonight.......Dee-lish!

Bernie, you've got to post the recipe. I want to compare it with mine(ok, actually my grandmother's, but, since I got her recipes when she passed, it's mine now!)

Um..I don't think anything you folks do on the west coast is the right way. You are the countrie's biggest problem :)

We say Dinner and Supper Interchangeably here. But lunch is at noon, breakfast is when you wake up. We never called post church food lunch or brunch. We called it eating at grandma's.

Can we get this conversation back on track. It doesn't matter what you call it, I want to know how to make it! Recipie please, Bernie.

PTN

Bernie, you've got to post the recipe. I want to compare it with mine(ok, actually my grandmother's, but, since I got her recipes when she passed, it's mine now!)

Ok, I'll post the recipe, but not right now. I'm steppin' out soon, and don't have time ATM. Get ti for you guys soon, tho!

Back