The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a 60% wheat calzone last night. Turned out great, but even after really good rise and kneading, I had to repair it with extra bits of dough. It went over fine, but holes started to appear mostly where bell pepper edges stuck out. It was gobbled up though!

I made it with a dry salami, a peppered salami, onions, bell peppers, whole garlic cloves, fresh diced tomato, mozzerella, picante provolone, and greek seasoning.

Delicious! My GF dipped it in ranch and that was tasty too.

Meat lovers deep dish house special... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388704570.282783.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388704579.793461.jpg

Implying homemade sauerkraut ... YUM. From personal experience, YUM. Nothing you can buy beats it!

Yep. SWMBO and I are sauerkraut fiends and haven't been able to get the good stuff as often as we like, so we're getting into homemade. Beer-making is a gateway activity to this sort of thing, it's a slippery slope...

Made this earlier in the week...Mozarella, Onions, and Goat cheese.... believe it or not, there was too much cheese, and it just kind clogged together and melted without browning... The crust was much better than the first attempt, as this time I preheated my pizza stone and built the pizza on it before putting it in the oven.

IMG_20140101_174223.jpg

IMG_20140101_175622.jpg

Lastly... doing my first ever sour-dough starter...and holy crap i underestimated container size.... this might be a disaster in the making, this was only 30 minutes or less in, and i had to portion out to a smaller container... next time i'll have teh recipe (.25 oz yeaster, 2 cup water / flour, pinch of sugar)

IMG_20140104_115858.jpg

Hmm?

Top with sauerkraut, some corned beef and a layer of Swiss cheese.
Reuben Pizza.:rockin:

bosco

Interesting idea, I'm trying to imagine how it would taste, both with & without tomato sauce. I wonder if maybe a ranch or blue cheese sauce would work better than tomato? I know 1,000 island dressing goes on a reuben sandwich, but I can't stand that stuff!

Maybe a horseradish/ranch/blue cheese sauce? A nice caraway profile either in the crust, in the kraut, or ground fine & lightly sprinkled over all. Some sweet Vidalia onions, crumbled bacon, ham or even pastrami pieces. Oddly enough, I'm thinking that some bits of thinly sliced apple might go well on this & maybe a little sour cream?
I'm just kind of tossing ideas out there.
Regards, GF.

Interesting idea, I'm trying to imagine how it would taste, both with & without tomato sauce. I wonder if maybe a ranch or blue cheese sauce would work better than tomato? I know 1,000 island dressing goes on a reuben sandwich, but I can't stand that stuff!

Maybe a horseradish/ranch/blue cheese sauce? A nice caraway profile either in the crust, in the kraut, or ground fine & lightly sprinkled over all. Some sweet Vidalia onions, crumbled bacon, ham or even pastrami pieces. Oddly enough, I'm thinking that some bits of thinly sliced apple might go well on this & maybe a little sour cream?
I'm just kind of tossing ideas out there.
Regards, GF.

Caraway in the crust, a little grated horseradish on top of the cheese. Nice.

C'mon sauerkraut, hurry up and ferment!

Made a major breakthrough tonight with my flour - I used 2/3 Giusto's pizzeria flour. Upon examining the ingredients it has not just "00" milled hard red wheat flour but also malted barley flour and vitamin C as a dough conditioner. I only did a 3 hour rise with the Rex bugs, made balls and let them rise another hour while I let the oven heat, and then used it. The dough practically ran through my fingers, got some really nice pop, and browned perfectly. Will do again. Mixed veggie on one, potato leek pecorino on the other, margaritas not pictured. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388979636.822623.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388979646.412382.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388979657.748161.jpg

Damn they look good! Glad you're getting a handle on it, can't remember the last time I bought bread yeast. Now to get there with beer yeasts.

Thanks! May have been a bit overboard though, as it ended up like a full on loaf of bread in size

Halved the pizza to keep the missus happy!

BBQ sauce - Mozzarella, parmesan and some cheddar - chicken, black olive and tried some red peppers this time.

Made some garlic bread with some extra dough too

84W9xk.jpg

You sir have inspired me to make garlic bread for supper. For shame! Pics coming later.

I am making a homemade pizza tonight. The whole wheat dough is expanding. The pizza sauce was made last night from a lot of Roma tomatoes , chopped garlic and diced onions. Going to rock.

Just got my first pizza stone!

Does sauce freeze well?

Heck yeah it freezes well! At least for my homemade it does... I just make sure to use small enough plastic containers that it fills the entire container with little headspace, and I use an entire container for a batch of pizzas.

My wife took some pictures. She is taking some leftovers to work. Her coworkers get jealous (their husbands don't cook,)

I also made a new bread. Yogurt apple raisin bread. Taste good, a little too moist for my liking. I think I will skip yogurt for my next experiment.

Trying out the indoor electric grill tonight on some grilled pizza (just moved to north dakota and cant grill in -20F weather) will post pictures later tonight or tomorrow. Doing 3 pizzas: Tequila Fajita Steak, Chicken Carbonara, and classic margherita pizzas.

Surprised with as much as I read HBT I never saw this thread before. I've been making pizza longer than I've been making beer!

Over the years I've developed a recipe that I use to consistency produce better pizza than I can buy. A few things I've found to produce excellent pizza:

1. Use about 25% semolina flour (huge) and 7% whole wheat flour (subtle).
2. The wetter the dough, the better the final texture, but you have to be able to handle it!
3. 2 day cold fermentation is a must (1 day works in a pinch, same day if there was a pre-ferment, otherwise don't bother)
4. Gotta have a pizza stone (i have a Fibrament-D and it's great)
5. Overriding the temperature sensor in the oven to get it in the 650F range really makes a huge difference in the oven spring and texture of the dough, and gives the crust a really unique crunch. A trick I learned a long time ago is to take a wooden spoon, wrap an damp old kitchen towel around it, then wrap that in foil and freeze it. After half an hour pull the wooden spoon out and continue to freeze. What your left with is a long frozen insulated cylinder. Slide it over the temperature probe in the oven once you've been at your maximum oven temperature for 15 minutes, then wait another 15 minutes before putting your pie in. The pie below cooked in exactly 4 minutes.

This is not the prettiest pizza I've ever made, but the crust shot is among the best.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Surprised with as much as I read HBT I never saw this thread before. I've been making pizza longer than I've been making beer!

Over the years I've developed a recipe that I use to consistency produce better pizza than I can buy. A few things I've found to produce excellent pizza:

1. Use about 25% semolina flour (huge) and 7% whole wheat flour (subtle).
2. The wetter the dough, the better the final texture, but you have to be able to handle it!
3. 2 day cold fermentation is a must (1 day works in a pinch, same day if there was a pre-ferment, otherwise don't bother)
4. Gotta have a pizza stone (i have a Fibrament-D and it's great)
5. Overriding the temperature sensor in the oven to get it in the 650F range really makes a huge difference in the oven spring and texture of the dough, and gives the crust a really unique crunch. A trick I learned a long time ago is to take a wooden spoon, wrap an damp old kitchen towel around it, then wrap that in foil and freeze it. After half an hour pull the wooden spoon out and continue to freeze. What your left with is a long frozen insulated cylinder. Slide it over the temperature probe in the oven once you've been at your maximum oven temperature for 15 minutes, then wait another 15 minutes before putting your pie in. The pie below cooked in exactly 4 minutes.

This is not the prettiest pizza I've ever made, but the crust shot is among the best.

Welcome to the pizza thread!

I made a HUGE mistake on my pizza last night. I hate to waste anything so I'm still going to eat the leftovers, but geez, what a terrible pie. :mad:

This is embarrassing to admit to but we're all friends here, right? Maybe I will save someone else from this suffering.

I was out of mozzarella with no time to go shopping for the good stuff. With a Walmart nearby I decided to go for the cheap stuff. I've made lots of pizzas with the Walmart brand shredded mozzarella and know it works.

So there I was in Walmart standing in front of the cheese case reaching for a 2 pound bag of shredded mozarella for $7.98 when I noticed another option. The next row of bags was 2 pound bags of Velveeta brand shredded mozarella for just $7.48.

That's right, I sold my soul for just $.50. The Velveeta looked the same and like an idiot I bought it.

When I sampled it at home it tasted like mozarella so I covered my pizza and put it in to bake.

The first sign of impending doom was the crust browning more than usual with still no sign of browning anywhere on the cheese. It just wasn't looking right as it melted either, an oily consistency like there are no cheese culture solids in it at all.

The real sadness though came with the eating. It no longer tasted like mozzarella. It tasted like Velveeta cheese sauce. I don't know how the flavor changed in melting but it wasn't what it tasted like from the bag. I'll never make the mistake of buying this stuff again.

I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to force myself to use it up on a whole lot of nachos, or maybe give it away. I do know with absolute certainty that it won't go on another pizza in my house.

What really sucks is that this may be my best crust yet. Oh well. Almost lunch time, half a 'za still to be eaten. :(

I made a HUGE mistake on my pizza last night. I hate to waste anything so I'm still going to eat the leftovers, but geez, what a terrible pie. :mad:

This is embarrassing to admit to but we're all friends here, right? Maybe I will save someone else from this suffering.

I was out of mozzarella with no time to go shopping for the good stuff. With a Walmart nearby I decided to go for the cheap stuff. I've made lots of pizzas with the Walmart brand shredded mozzarella and know it works.

So there I was in Walmart standing in front of the cheese case reaching for a 2 pound bag of shredded mozarella for $7.98 when I noticed another option. The next row of bags was 2 pound bags of Velveeta brand shredded mozarella for just $7.48.

That's right, I sold my soul for just $.50. The Velveeta looked the same and like an idiot I bought it.

When I sampled it at home it tasted like mozarella so I covered my pizza and put it in to bake.

The first sign of impending doom was the crust browning more than usual with still no sign of browning anywhere on the cheese. It just wasn't looking right as it melted either, an oily consistency like there are no cheese culture solids in it at all.

The real sadness though came with the eating. It no longer tasted like mozzarella. It tasted like Velveeta cheese sauce. I don't know how the flavor changed in melting but it wasn't what it tasted like from the bag. I'll never make the mistake of buying this stuff again.

I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to force myself to use it up on a whole lot of nachos, or maybe give it away. I do know with absolute certainty that it won't go on another pizza in my house.

What really sucks is that this may be my best crust yet. Oh well. Almost lunch time, half a 'za still to be eaten. :(

The stuff is OK for queso. Melt it in a little milk, add a tub of sourcream and some diced jalapenos. For pizza?? ;) No way.

I made pizzas last night. My margherita pizza is great (and super simple). For the sauce, I drain and do a quick purre to a can of diced tomatoes.

But my NY-style pizza wasn't so great. I made a marinara sauce from some tomatoes, garlic, onions, etc and it wasn't very good. I'm still looking for a good sauce for a traditional NY style pizza. Anyone with a known good recipe? Thanks.

Back