Will wort enter my inline O2 tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I've just finished assembling my inline O2 manifold.

ed95ba6b.jpg

I'm wondering if wort will enter this tube and if I need to install some sort of valve on it. I had read that you should only oxygenate for 1/2 the time you are pumping out your wort so I assume 1/2 the time I'll be pumping without pressure from the oxygen tank.

Thanks for the help. Hoping to brew Sunday with my new sanke fermenter and spund valve.

I don't know, but I'd be curious about the 1/2 time only. It would depend on how much Oxygen you are pumping in at any given time to determine how long to add Oxygen. At least that is what makes sense to me.

If you're going to be shiutting the 02 off then wort will most like enter the tube. You could just put a check valve on there be good.

I'm wondering if wort will enter this tube and if I need to install some sort of valve on it. I had read that you should only oxygenate for 1/2 the time you are pumping out your wort so I assume 1/2 the time I'll be pumping without pressure from the oxygen tank.

Thanks for the help.

Check valve is a good idea IrregularPulse & RogerMcAllen

Based on my experience wort will flow into your tube even with the O2 on if the supply pressure is less than your pump pressure.
My setup is without a check valve:eek: but my O2 supply pressure is way above the wort pump max pressure, and must be on before the pump is turned on.
I measured all the pressures in my system.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

found a 1/2" gate valve I could use, or is a "check valve" necessary to allow O2 flow in one direction?

You want a check valve, as it is insurance against your regulator getting ruined. A gate valve you have to close manually, a check valve will work automatically when something goes wrong. I know you aren't planning for something to go wrong, but it often does. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 situations, but I'm sure there are more.

Situation 1: Your O2 tank runs out, wort pushes it way back into your regulator.
Situation 2: You develop a leak in the air line. O2 pressure escapes through the leak, and the wort pushes it way back into your regulator.
Situation 3: You close your O2 tank, but forget to shut off the gas valve closest to the tube. Worth pushes it way back into your regulator
Situation 4: Your flow tube gets clogged, liquid pressure builds and pushes wort back into your regulator.

Lowes or any plumbing shop should carry one for under $10.

Good point. I was just thinking about this and the gate valve is not a good idea.

I'm off to Lowes.

Okay, I picked up a check valve. Smallest I could find was 3/4" so I bought two reducing bushings. I'm not sure how to install it, though. I need the O2 stone to be immersed in the wort. So I guess I just have to run two hose barbs to either end of the check valve?

Now that I'm sitting here looking at it, I'm wondering if the stone itself doesn't prevent back flow. Little help! I'm trying to figure this out so I can brew tomorrow and I'm watching three kids. Can't get this straight. Little help!

Thanks.

Just install it inline anywhere between the regulator and the tube using barbs, preferably just before the tube. There should be a directionality indicated on it, usually an arrow marked flow. Make sure that the flow is from the O2 tank to the tube and you should be set. You might even want to try blowing through it the wrong way to see how it works.

On the fitting below, the flow is right to left as indicated by the arrow:
94453.jpg

Back