Some AG Projects - Keggle and CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
So, over the past few weeks I've done a few projects. I figured I'll make a little photo journal of my projects, all condensed in one thread. The latest projects are adding a sight glass and thermometer to my HLT, which I completed today! In chronological order:

Cutting the top off a keg (craigslist $30, angle grinder $15 @ harborfright):
DSCF0115.JPG

DSCF0124.JPG

Before cleaning up, grinding and sanding:
DSCF0132.JPG

1/2" Stainless ball valve and Bazooka T-Screen (both from MoreBeer):
DSCF0142.JPG

All soldered up and in the keg (I know, looks like crap...but it was my first time):
DSCF0156.JPG

Projects are so much more fun when you've got a couple of fellow home brewers to join in on the fun!
CFC Build - Caspio soldering up one of the tees:
DSCF0003.JPG

199q prepping one end of the 3/8" tubing:
DSCF0005.JPG

Soldering up the final joint:
DSCF0013.JPG

more to come...

Wrapping the CFC...any 5 gallon bucket works nicely!
DSCF0018.JPG

TWO beautiful CFCs...not bad for a night's worth of work (and drinking homebrew):
DSCF0026.JPG

HLT work - Jaybird cut this one for me with his plasma cutter, and even made me a lid! (THANKS!!!)
DSCF0034.JPG

Dip tube all soldered up, only leaves a few ounces in the HLT:
DSCF0038.JPG

Today's HLT project - add a dial thermometer and sight glass (both from AHS, thanks!):
DSCF0082.JPG

Inside:
DSCF0078.JPG

New 1/2" Silicone tubing from MoreBeer - very nice stuff. Pricey, but seals well and very flexible:
DSCF0083.JPG

Secondary project for the day: Adding a barbed connection to the intake (wort side) of my CFC. All my hose is 1/2", so the 3/8" tubing on the CFC just didn't cut it last brew day:
DSCF0084.JPG

Some gratuitous shots of the AHS thermometer...$24.99 + $5.99 for the weldless bulkhead:
DSCF0086.JPG

The best thing...3 weldless fittings, and all went on flawlessly and NONE leak a drop. Not bad!
DSCF0080.JPG

AHS even included a SS eye bolt to hold the sight tube at the top of the keg:
DSCF0080.JPG

Looks good. Fill it with a nice wort. Quick!

I can't wait! Next weekend will be my first all grain...going to do an amber ale! I'm pretty excited to use the new HLT with the thermo and sight glass...it's going to make my brew day a whole lot easier. No more climbing on a ladder for me!!! :rockin:

I still have a few more projects to do until my 10 gallon AG system is complete. That won't stop me from brewing though :D!

1.) Finish Kegerator: Attach regulators, run air lines, and install taps.
2.) March pump and quick disconnects
3.) Natural Gas burner and burner stand
4.) 1-tier Brew Stand (using modified costco shelving)

Very nicely done. However, I must warn you that you are headed down a dangerous path...
:mug:

LOL, yah...I know. This is no longer a hobby by any means...an obsession it has become. But, as obsessions go...this is the best I've come across! :rockin::D:mug:

Glad I was able to help out - the variety of homebrew we had on hand helped as well. Hopefully the first batch on the new setup goes smooth.

Glad I was able to help out - the variety of homebrew we had on hand helped as well. Hopefully the first batch on the new setup goes smooth.

I'm sure I'll find some way to screw it up :D. But at least I'll LOOK good while brewing! JK, the new setup is going to be soooo nice. We need to get another group brew day scheduled...I think Jaybird is up for one.

I'm sure I'll find some way to screw it up :D. But at least I'll LOOK good while brewing! JK, the new setup is going to be soooo nice. We need to get another group brew day scheduled...I think Jaybird is up for one.
brother if this is going to be your first AG I want to be there!!! when is it?
lets try and plan a group brew around the grain pick up date?
you guys are mad men!!!!
Way to go:rockin::rockin::rockin:
JJ

brother if this is going to be your first AG I want to be there!!! when is it?
lets try and plan a group brew around the grain pick up date?
you guys are mad men!!!!
Way to go:rockin::rockin::rockin:
JJ

Heh, it won't be my first all grain...I've done 8 or 10 AG batches so far. BUT, since you missed my first AG I'll just pretend I don't know what the hell I'm doing (shouldn't be that much of a stretch :D). Let's definitely plan that brew day for when we can pick up that grain...that will be a blast!

Is Caspio up for a road trip?

Yep, chatted with him this evening after you called. He's stoked about grain, and has a small utility trailer he can tow with his truck. :rockin: Big enough for all our brewing crap, and the grain we'll pick up :D! If you're down for a group brew day, I think Sunday is looking like a good day.

Yeah, I'm, down for a sunday brew day. Between the truck and trailer we should have more than enough room for all our brew goodies. This will be my "i'm done with college and also unemployed" brew :rockin:

Yeah, I'm, down for a sunday brew day. Between the truck and trailer we should have more than enough room for all our brew goodies. This will be my "i'm done with college and also unemployed" brew

SWEET!! Sunday it is!!! Congrats on the "Done with College thing" And employment is sooo overrated anyway!!!:cross:
Got an E-Mail from Shawn, 550# of grain is on the way (yes I said 550# :rockin::rockin::rockin:)and he is going to call me when it's here.
Looking forward to meeting you Caspio.
Cheers
JJ

Holy hell...550#??? That's is friggin awesome...I'll be sure to bring the camera for that one! Woohoo, hooray for grain!

Latest posts

Back