Single tier brewstand design and build (stores keggles inside)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarthsan

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So, I've recently started building out my new brewstand to replace my ancient, fantastically ghetto 2-tier I've been brewing on for the last long while. I plan on documenting the process here, as well as highlighting a few of my thoughts along the way!

The reason why I'm trying something new:
oldstand.jpg

So, for starters, with this stand I first identified a handful of elements I wanted to incorporate for v2:

1. I'm 6'5" tall, and thus, can work fairly high up
  2. Optimized for keggles
  3. I want the keggles to be stored inside the stand itself
  4. The stand should convert into a work-bench when it's not used for brewing
  5. I want the heat to be able to escape out the back easily so my valves don't go nuclear.
  6. Easily movable, without a gigantic foot-print
  7. Adjustable height burners
  8. Super sturdy

So, with these considerations in mind, I began the hunt for the perfect brewstand build around the forums. But, of course, I never found it. So, I decided to try and design my own.

Oh, and first, another list of important factors to consider:
  1. I have no idea how to weld, but, might as well learn sometime
  2. I have a bunch of wood-working tools, and am generally capable of finding a half-assed solution to most engineering problems
  3. I've never used SketchUp or other rendering software before

Phase 1 : "Holy crap SketchUp is a PITA"

Given my obsessive nature, before I bought any materials at all, I wanted a 100% guarantee that I was doing the right thing. So, as part of the planning phase, I promised myself that I'd come away with a single cut-list (for the metal shop) that would absolutely give me the final materials I needed to complete the project.

I took probably 3 stabs at drawing the thing on paper, but every time I'd think of a small tweak, I'd have to redesign the entire project, and I was also having a hard time redoing the cut calculations after every change. So, I decided to try out SketchUp.

2 weeks later, I can finally use SketchUp pretty effectively, and had finalized my designs as seen below.

mock01.png

mock02.png

At this point, I'm happy with the general design, although there are two things I don't know how I'll deal with: The gussets, and how in the hell I'll mount the burners. I figured I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Materials summary so far:
  • 1.5"x1.5" by 1/8" thick steel tubing for the core frame itself
  • 1/8" inch diamond plate for the bottom

Phase 2 : "Getting ready"

For me, buying metal was a seriously intimidating process. After the lumber-yard experiences of my youth, I figured everyone would be an unhelpful ******* - totally not so. I found the Metal Supermarket and these guys were awesome. They can also do machine-measured non-mitered cuts (they did all of mine for $30 total). So, I took my cut list, and 1 hour later, I had all my stock (plus some cut-offs to practice on).

build01.jpg

The next big challenge was learning how to weld on a super cheap Harbor Freight 90 amp flux-core welder. With all the complaining everyone did about how cheap it was I expected the worst, but honestly, I'm happy with my results thus far.

So, after tons of Youtube I took my first stabs at figuring out how to lay down a bead on my test metal. It took me a few hours (and the entire spool of garbage flux-wire that comes with the welder), but I managed to get a pretty solid hang on it! My welds were penetrating all the way through (which I checked by cutting the metal on my miter-saw-equipped-with-an-abrasive-blade), and while they weren't pretty, they were pretty strong.

Phase 3 : "Making the frame"

At this point, I was ready to begin the process of tacking and welding the square bottom portion of my design.

build02.jpg

As you may notice above, my initial tacks were super weak due to the long stick-out I had at first. I learned that lesson pretty quickly. I also made sure to alternate welds to opposite sides of the frame in order to keep it square (something that worked super well, as my final frame was almost perfectly square).

After making the bottom square, the next step was welding the vertical legs to each corner. And then, after that, to weld the horisontal cross-beams.

build03.jpg

The next step was to bring the front and back sides together, and thus, secure the overal squareness of the entire structure.

build05.jpg

And the final part of the frame was to weld on each of the top supports, which I did by using 90-degree magnets.

build06.jpg

Phase 4 : "Mounting the burners"

So, per my requirements, I needed a simple means of mounting my burners in a way that was adjustable. After a bit of pondering, I decided that a single large rectangular structure that supported the burners by pinching them in place was the right approach. So, I took some measurements, and headed back to the Metal Supermarket to buy some 1.5"x1.5" by 1/8" thick angle iron.

Below is the result of my frame welds.

build07.jpg

I then went to Home Depot, picked up a piece of pre-drilled steel, a couple metal pull-pins, and affixed the system to the main frame. To be honest, this worked better than I even anticipated. The burners are super secure, they are easy to move, and generally awesome.

build09.jpg

build10.jpg

So, this is where I'm at currently. The next steps will be to attach the gussets (to support the keggles sitting on top), and then to make some decisions on how I'll mount the gas lines and pumps. Of course, I also need to mount the casters, then clean off the oil and paint the thing. There is still a lot of work to be done, but I'm super excited to get it there!

What I realy like about this is you can slide the burner. Also as a heating guy the burner mount is like a furnace burner locking into place. This is a nice brew stand, good work man!

Love the adjustable burners. I am adding that to my rig project. Storing the keggles in the rig is a great idea, but at my weight (5"8") I would need a ladder to get a peek. :D

This is awesome dude. Very nice work. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Please post more pics with your progression!

Next steps of the build are complete - the gussets are attached and stable.

Given the fact that the back rail of my stand is lower than the front (to help facilitate heat venting out the back), I wanted to make sure that my gussets didn't hamper the flow of warm air out the back. So, I did this:

gusset01.jpg

For the first few welds, I was having a hell of a time holding the bars in place - so instead of using clamps, I pulled a handful of my disk magnets off the kegerator. This turned out to be a huge success, and to make my life way easier.

gusset02.jpg

So, at this point, the gussets and frame are done, along with the burner mounting system. Next up: Getting the gas lines rigged and mounted, as well as getting the diamond-plate for the bottom table.

Zarthsan...that looks really great. I'm about to start on my own build in the next few weeks. You've hit on a number of points I had in mind plus some excellent ones I hadn't thought of.

I'm 6'2". Not quite as tall as you. A 20" tall stand wouldn't be worth building.

Would you mind sharing your SketchUp drawing for the dimensions, please?

Zarthsan...that looks really great. I'm about to start on my own build in the next few weeks. You've hit on a number of points I had in mind plus some excellent ones I hadn't thought of. Would you mind sharing your SketchUp drawing for the dies pensions, please?

No problem! Here is a link:

Sculpture

Side notes: There are a handful of things which I don't have in my rendering, such as the burner mounts, and the gussets. So, here are the dimensions (which I'll eventually add back to the rendering after I have everything done updated below).

Update: Newest version of SketchUp file is now uploaded with burner mounts and gussets

Burner mount (1.5" x 1.5" by 1/8" thick angle iron)
11" x 2
66" x 2
7" x2 of 1/8" thick pre-drilled steel from Lowes (optional, for adjustments)

Gussets (1.5" x 1/8" thick bar)
9" x 2 (the corners)
12.5" x 2 (the lengths)

Wow! Now I'm getting a 102 error(file type unknown). What is the file extension?

My email is ianw58 at gmail dot com.

Might be easier... Lol

No problem! Here is a link:

Sculpture

Side notes: There are a handful of things which I don't have in my rendering, such as the burner mounts, and the gussets. So, here are the dimensions (which I'll eventually add back to the rendering after I have everything done updated below).

Update: Newest version of SketchUp file is now uploaded with burner mounts and gussets

Burner mount (1.5" x 1.5" by 1/8" thick angle iron)
11" x 2
66" x 2
7" x2 of 1/8" thick pre-drilled steel from Lowes (optional, for adjustments)

Gussets (1.5" x 1/8" thick bar)
9" x 2 (the corners)
12.5" x 2 (the lengths)

Nice work, but I to cannot get it to work. Can you convert to a pdf?

So this weekend I tackled stand-mobility, as well as finishing up adding the center gusset.

I bought the following 4" casters, and am incredibly happy with the purchase.

Rigid wheels
Dual-locking wheels

Since I didn't want to deal with drilling holes to mount these, I just chose the "weld them to the frame route". In retrospect, if I weren't so lazy, I might actually go with the hold drilling due to a plastic collar on the dual-locking casters that had direct contact with the metal plate I was welding on (thus the heat caused it to melt a little bit while welding).

Regardless, here are a couple pictures of the stand with welded wheels, and all gussets in place.

build11.jpg

I waffled a bunch between 4" and 5" inch casters, and, I'm actually glad I went with the 4" versions. Each wheel is rated at 250 lb (for a total of 1000 lb) so weight really is clearly no concern. However, I was concerned that smaller wheels would make it harder to roll over uneven concrete or cracks in the ground an whatnot. Turns out that fear was completely in vain.

In order to prove it, I rolled it outside, over some massive concrete cracks and onto my lawn. No problems at all. It's perfect as it is.

build12.jpg

So, now all that's remaining is to get the plate for the bottom shelf, and hook up the plumbing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to chime in and tell you this is awesome. You, apparently, have about the same requirements as me, a la, will turn into workbench, store kegs underneath, roll it out easily (over many cracks and a few cords, adjustable burner height, etc... Also, I have zero welding experience. My problem is I am only 5'9" so it will be a bit tall, but I will just have to deal, to get all the other features.

I have been following this build, and planning something similar, but wanted to put in a wind shield and was having problems coming up with something that worked, while figuring all out on paper, so I could have the cuts done by a friend as his shop. Did you consider heat/wind shields? I may just copy yours 100 % at this point.

Finally got around to opening the drawing. Awesome! Thanks!

I'm ordering the steel tomorrow.

Awesome build! I'm working something similar with storing kegs, etc. I can't get the sketch up open.. What are the dimensions?

I finally started my build. I had to pop on the kettles and my mash tun just to see how they fit.

Lots more to do before I can brew on it, but I'm happy!

image.jpg

Awesome! I'm so happy that my plans turned out to be useful to someone else too!

After several brews on the system, the only modification that I may still make is to put right-angle triangle gussets at the front of the burner-area to help prevent heat-wash from making my valves & sight-glasses hot (although, it's not really that important, so I haven't done it yet).

I hope you love yours once it's finished as much as I love mine!

I just wanted to chime in and tell you this is awesome. You, apparently, have about the same requirements as me, a la, will turn into workbench, store kegs underneath, roll it out easily (over many cracks and a few cords, adjustable burner height, etc... Also, I have zero welding experience. My problem is I am only 5'9" so it will be a bit tall, but I will just have to deal, to get all the other features.

I have been following this build, and planning something similar, but wanted to put in a wind shield and was having problems coming up with something that worked, while figuring all out on paper, so I could have the cuts done by a friend as his shop. Did you consider heat/wind shields? I may just copy yours 100 % at this point.

Sorry - I just saw this post.

So, regarding a heat-shield, I did think about it, but then completely decided not to. Honestly, I've used it on my driveway in some decent wind, and my heating was almost exactly the same as when there was no wind. Still, though, my plan was to add a bit of flat sheet-metal dropping from the back and sides of the actual frame (although not the front, not the moveable burner mounting). Since the burners are adjustable, any shield can't actually be attached to the burner, since otherwise, it'll move along with the burner too and hit the bottom of the pots.

The Dinnis Cottage Brewery is plumbed for gas and one burner is lit!

Need to plumb for water with filter and electric for pumps.

I'm stoked!

image.jpg

Someone had a similar build (with keggle storage). They painted it blue and had a removable PID control panel. Can someone help me find the link?

I like the burner attachment. I was toying around with the idea of building a brutus stand with only 1 burner. I use HERMS so I don't need a burner under my mash tun. Was thinking about making a sliding burner system so I can move the burner from the HLT to the boil kettle so I only need 1 burner.

In hindsight, making a slide-able burner mount was a better idea than I initially expected.

A couple pros:
-) Only need 1 burner (although I have two, I often just pull out the 2nd one and only use 1 in because I'm lazy and don't wanna switch the propane plug)
-) I can twist the burner easily so that the tail doesn't stick out when going into storage-mode. This makes is a perfect bench without a burner jabbing outward.
-) I often use the long-rails to hang things like my beer-transfer tubing after a brew and wash so that the water drips out nicely, but the tubes aren't in the way anywhere.

Back