Yet another fermentation has not started yet thread dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Okay, so I have several brews done and done well, and have actually provided advice in this section to others who are new and have not yet learned how to relax and have a homebrew, and believe in the preachings of Revvy and how fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start.

However, this is the first time in a long time using dry yeast. I have always had great success - active fermentation starting in 12-24 hours - with pitching smack packs and making starters, but this time I went on the cheap and used a packet of Danstar Munich Hefe yeast.

I followed the directions exactly, re-hydrating the dry in boiled, cooled to the 85 - 95 degree range water; sprinkling it on top, letting it sit for 15 minutes (while my wort cooled) and then a gentle stir, another five minutes, then adding a bit of wort at 65 repeatedly to slowly bring down the temp of the re-hydrated yeast to that of the wort.

Now, in the past, when I have used and re-hydrated dry yeast, the mixture started to get cloudy and foam a bit. This did not happen this time; instead, the yeast sank to the bottom and remained in granular form. I pitched it anyway. I got on the Danstar website and it stated that no foaming is not a sign that the yeast is not viable. I am trying to relax and not worry. However....

I am now 36 hours in and no active sign of fermentation. I know, I am going to wait another day or two, and then, if nothing, what do you suggest?

I am thinking of re-pitching with a wyeast or white labs strain.

I think you'll be fine. What are your temps at? Also, did you underpitch? All these are going to be factors in how fast your fermentation starts. Give it another 36 hours and I bet you have signs of life. Have you taken a hydrometer reading to see if it's started yet?

Let it sit until 72 hours...if it's at adequite temps, you have a good amount of yeast, and you're seeing no signs...then add some more yeast.

I used some Safale US-05 on a batch Friday, I pitched at 60*F and plopped it next to a batch of melomel my buddy did with dry pitched EC-1118. Both at 60*F ambient.
3 hours later my friends melomel was burping regularly. The Red Ale had nothing.
Saturday, nothing. Sunday, nothing not even a little displacement in the airlock.
Sunday around midnight, the temp on the fermometer crept up to 62*F, 18 hours later it's just at 66*F. This is the only sign that ANYTHING is going on in there. If I didn't have that dopey slap on thermometer I would have no indication that anything was happening and I would be counting down my last 2 hours to post a "Help, my fermentation didn't start" thread. :D

I had a Brown Ale that fermented so quickly that I missed the entire thing while I was sleeping one night. I was convinced the yeast was a dud until I let the guy at the LHBS talk me into getting a Hydrometer and taking a reading, lo and behold it was at 1.020, down from the 1.055ish it started at. No krausen or anything.

Every batch is different. Wait a day or two and take an S.G., you might be surprised! :mug:

haha, i know what you mean :D

there has only been two times yeast hasn't 'taken off' (and i mean that loosely).

the first, i didn't seal a lid properly. it was fermenting away, but no bubbles. i let it go for a week, thinking i had screwed up, and low and behold!! Stout!!

second time, i was fermenting in a room kept at 64F i seem to recall. this mead was just *barely* bubbling for weeks. turns out i hadn't accounted for a nearby window giving it a major draft. moved the fermenter about 8 feet and problem solved (also installed some curtains :D)

99% of the time it is somehow user error. when in doubt though, i keep extra dry yeast just to keep my mind at ease.

You could take a hydrometer reading, which is the only true measure of fermentation, but there's really no need to until at least 72 hours because it can take that long to just start. :)

I was convinced the yeast was a dud until I let the guy at the LHBS talk me into getting a Hydrometer and taking a reading, lo and behold it was at 1.020, down from the 1.055ish it started at. No krausen or anything.

I still find it amazing that there's companies selling kits that don't COME WITH a hydrometer.

For what it is worth, I have used dry yeast (US-05) on nearly all of the batches that I have done through the years, and I have always had pretty consistent results. I have had a batch or two end a little high (1.019'ish on a 1.050 OG), but besides that, it has been pretty consistent and very clean.

Personally, I am just too lazy to make a starter for every batch. It doesn't help that I am cheap, too. I typically just pour my yeast straight into my fermenter, shake it around for a couple of minutes, and seal her up. I have never made a starter for dry yeast.

Good input on the dry yeast.

****hijack alert****
Just a point of order for those that are new, rehydrating a dry yeast in some water and making a starter with liquid yeast are very different things. Dry yeast does not need/require a starter. Ever. But using mr malty will help both dry and liquid yeast users
****end hijack****

Well, 48 hours now, no visible sign of activity, still patient, did not check the date on the yeast but assume it was good, as it was from MidWest. I proactively used a blow off tube in a glass jar, and on every other batch see the air creeping down the tube when things begin to get rolling. This one, nothing, and when gently depressing the lid, can push the air down the tube (visible thru the glass) which tells me everything is sealed properly. In reviewing my process there is no way it is user error, as this was an early Sunday morning batch (no drinking) and I have brewed nearly a dozen successes in the past. One more day, then a search on how to property re-pitch, as that will be a new thing for me.

1. go pick up/order hydrometer.

2. always have a pack or two of extra dry yeast.

I have a hydrometer, have used it since the first batch ;)

As for pitching dry again, not for this one. A hefe gets much of its flavor from the yeast, so I am going to use a true Bavarian strain.

And yet, still no hydrometer reading to put your mind at ease? Or are you just gonna wait the 72 hours before checking. ;)

Revvy, I a patiently awaiting the passing of the 72 hour mark before I open the bucket and take a reading or get too excited either way. If there is a problem, I will do what I can to fix it; having much good homebrew in the pipeline plus a record of success tells me not to worry.

Revvy, I a patiently awaiting the passing of the 72 hour mark before I open the bucket and take a reading or get too excited either way. If there is a problem, I will do what I can to fix it; having much good homebrew in the pipeline plus a record of success tells me not to worry.

That's EXACTLY the attitude to have!!!! :mug:

I had an issue with Danstar Munich also. It took 5 days before it started fermenting. I checked it with the hydrometer several times and had nothing. I was finally able to get to the LHBS 5 days after I initially pitched to get some different yeast. When i got home I opened the bucket to pitch the new yeast, and now I had fermentation starting.

i've talked to a few other people who had the same issue with Munich. I don't know what's causing it, but it sounds to me like there is an issue with the Danstar Munich starting slow.

This happened to me on Friday with the same yeast on a wit. I had no krausen or airlock activity all weekend. OG was 1.050. Took a hydrometer reading on Monday because I was about to re-pitch and it was at 1.012. First time I have ever seen fermentation without ANY visible signs.

I always like to make a "starter" for my dry yeast just to make sure it's awake and active come time to pitch.

Always remember different yeasts act differently. Heck even types you're used to can throw you a curve now and then. Just try to remember or take notes on how the yeasts you use act, so you have an idea of what to expect in the future. And whether or not a starter may be a good idea even if you're not supposed to need one.

so, quick update, I went to take a hydrometer reading yesterday and saw the air was pushed down the tube a few inches. I pulled the blow off hose and peeked through the tiny hole in the bucket lid and saw some foam. It looks like it is doing something, and rather go through the hassle of removing the lid (and risking something getting in) I am just going to leave it alone for a week and then take a reading. Trust in the Yeast Gods to do their thing. In reading the above, some others have had some unusual fermentation with this strain. You brew, you learn.

Update: Now, four days later, blowoff tube bubbling away. Revvy, maybe change your 72 hour rule to 96 'before seeing active signs of fermentation."

I think watching the temp change on my fermometer is going to be my new form of bubble counting/ reading chicken bones ;)

i can sympathize with your plight. I am waiting for signs of fermentation from danstar nottingham. i heard about issues, ith this yeast, but was brewing the haus pale ale for my first all grain, and followed his recipe to the tee.

i also didn't hydrate, but aerated well, pitched to 68 F, holding constant temp.

this thread makes me feel better.

i also will trust in the beer gods

Back