Tap water vs boiled vs bottled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePound

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am about to brew my first batch. I feel a little nervous. I know I shouldn't, but I don't want to screw up.

Anyway. Can I use tap water for the brew or do I need to buy bottles? I live in Portland where ther is not much chlorine or chemical in the tap water.

Or, if I use tap water for the water that goes in the fermenter, does that 3ish gallons if water need to be boiled and cooled before it goes?

Thanks!!!

I live right outside Indianapolis and the tap water is nasty. I always use bottled water. The extra $5 seems worth it for the consistency. At least with a bottle of water I know what to expect.

Tap water should always be boiled....there is a lot of "stuff" between the city supply and your tap...Before I started using RO water and mixing my own minerals I just used bottled spring water from Crystal Geyser....works great and you know it's been UV sanitized

Honestly, I fill 5 gallon water jugs a few days before I brew and leave the caps off in my garage anti let them "breathe". It's how I was taught, and it's always worked for me. Im sure there are better ways to get water, but I find it hard to believe breweries are using RO or boiled water to fill their boil kettles. You are boiling it after all...

Honestly, I fill 5 gallon water jugs a few days before I brew and leave the caps off in my garage anti let them "breathe". It's how I was taught, and it's always worked for me. Im sure there are better ways to get water, but I find it hard to believe breweries are using RO or boiled water to fill their boil kettles. You are boiling it after all...

True, it's the unboiled top off water that might be an issue...it's only a maybe considering the way beer has been made over the last several thousand years our tap water is pretty damn good.

helibrewer said:
True, it's the unboiled top off water that might be an issue...it's only a maybe considering the way beer has been made over the last several thousand years our tap water is pretty damn good.

Oh for sure. When I was doing extract my top off water was always boiled, but for all grain? Pfftt....

I live in Cincinnati, and just use it out the tap. I used to boil and cool it, but that took extra effort. One time I used it straight from the tap and didn't have a problem, so I've been doing that ever since. A good 50+ batches with no problems.

I do have a carbon filter in the line to remove rust and chlorine, which is replaced every few months.

Honestly, don't worry about water on your first few batches. If you think the tap water tastes OK, just use it. Focus on sanitation, a good boil and get your general process down; you'll still make good beer. I used straight tap water for my 1st few brews (extract), then I went all grain and started using 1/2 bottled water (Poland Springs).

Find good water brew with it.Or get a filter if you like your tap water.Check out the water report for future reference,if you plan on using it all the time. I use r/o water and brewing salts and sometimes/often i buy spring water.

Your tap water is probably cleaner and saferthan bottled water it is tested much more often. That said I do not use mine because it tastes like crap

I agree - as a newbie, focus on sanitation, chilling the wort quickly, etc. The basics... After you've got your process down, analyze your water with Ward Labs or somewhere and adjust as necessary. There are a lot of variables in HB, start with a baseline and go from there.

Thanks everyone. A lot of good info. Portland has very clean tap water so I think I will just go for it. I love the idea of filling jugs the night before and letting them breathe. Old school.

I can't wait to get started. As soon as I get these dam kids asleep.

Thanks again!!!

lb

Our water is pretty good in my area. I don't' hesitate to drink it from the tap though I wanted a filter for brewing (ummm..lol)

Anyway I purchased a cheapo Culligan water filter that mounts to my tap for like $15 on Amazon and I subscribed to the filter auto-delivery so a new filter shows up every two months for $9. I usually brew 20 gallons a month, so it's really a good deal in the end. Plus, the outlet just happens to be the same size as my racking hose, which helps as it was a touch inconvenient at first not being able to get a gallon jug under the faucet..

What's this about letting the water "breathe"?

Im only quoting what i found mentioned about this, but i did it with my tap water the night before only becuause i forgot to get water was brewing early and i wanted to sleep. Its offgassing chlorine or something, i guess if you just let it sit in a pot you dont have to boil off the chlorine in it,but im not shure about chloramine though.

ThePound said:
I am in Oregon.

ahh the "other" Portland ;)

i have spring water right up the road so it's a simple choice for me but water like Dasani is just filtered NYC tap water so guess its all personal prefrence.

Tap water should always be boiled....there is a lot of "stuff" between the city supply and your tap...Before I started using RO water and mixing my own minerals I just used bottled spring water from Crystal Geyser....works great and you know it's been UV sanitized

I've never boiled my tap water. There isn't any "stuff" in there to harm a beer or wine. In fact, I've been known to even drink it! :D

Seriously, if you have good tap water, it's fine. I don't have issues with chlorine or chloramine, but if your water department uses chlorine you may need to boil your water or at least set it out overnight so the chlorine can dissipate. If it uses chloramines, those don't boil off so you need to treat your water to remove the chloramine. Some choose to just buy distilled or reverse osmosis water, or bottled spring water, if they don't have great tasting tap water.

Portland uses a process called Chloramination. it's starts with Chlorine to disinfect. Next they add ammonia to ensure disinfection remains adequate.

Is this bad? Shod I just go get bottles?

I think the byproducts of cholorine or chloromine are actually worse, called tiethalanomine i think,its a lot of the reason i drink r/o water myself, that and flouride- carbon filters dont filter it and i dont want it in me.You need special filters for that $ but R/O basically elimates that thats why i go fil er up at the grocery store.
Not to go off topic but i dont think people truly recognize the dangers of just taking a shower without a good filter,just a sayin.A 10 min shower is equivalent to drinking a gallon of the straight chlorinated water not to mention the steam inhalation poisoning at the same time.

mjmac85 said:
What's this about letting the water "breathe"?

You ever have a fish tank? They say you should let water breathe overnight. Idk man, my dad did it fish tanks when I was a kid, so I do now. They old man at work who got me brewing lets his Lake Michigan tap water. So I do the same. Just the way this 25 year old brews his beer. Might not be the proper way, but it works for me.

You're letting the Chlorine out by letting it breathe overnight, which is why they do that for fish tanks.

There are definitely some breweries that filter and R/O filter their water, Stone for one.

Where can I look up water studies for the area to find out about the water levels? A search brings up a lot of other info.

I love Portland water. I never boiled or bothered with doing anything to it. Portland water is so pure it's not filtered it comes from the bull run water shed. I would just watch out for when they draw from the underground tanks it is a little 'hard' when they use that source usually times of super heavy rainfall. Although if you're near the Mt Tabor reservoir watch out for when they find dead homeless guys.

Tap water should always be boiled....there is a lot of "stuff" between the city supply and your tap...

Ummm...isn't that what the kettle is for?

Seriously, though...you're getting ready to boil it for 60 minutes anyway. Why go to the extra trouble if the tap water is suitable as-is - IOW it tastes good?

They did an experiment at UC Davis where they took water from a duck pond (think about that a minute) and used it - UNTREATED, unboiled, straight out of the pond - to brew beer. Before, the water was teeming with all sorts of coliform bacteria and duck poo, and all manner of other nasties. Post fermentation, there were no bacteria or anything else. The brewing process sanitized the water. So to me, the only reason to do anything with tap water is if you're going to adjust it for a particular water profile. The only reason NOT to use tap water is if it doesn't taste good. Contaminants (other than chemicals) don't enter the equation, because it has been shown (both historically and in modern-day experiments) that any "living" contaminant that can hurt you can't survive the boil. If you have chemical contamination to worry about, then you have more to worry than just how it effects your beer quality.

Ummm...isn't that what the kettle is for?

Seriously, though...you're getting ready to boil it for 60 minutes anyway. Why go to the extra trouble if the tap water is suitable as-is - IOW it tastes good?

They did an experiment at UC Davis where they took water from a duck pond (think about that a minute) and used it - UNTREATED, unboiled, straight out of the pond - to brew beer. Before, the water was teeming with all sorts of coliform bacteria and duck poo, and all manner of other nasties. Post fermentation, there were no bacteria or anything else. The brewing process sanitized the water. So to me, the only reason to do anything with tap water is if you're going to adjust it for a particular water profile. The only reason NOT to use tap water is if it doesn't taste good. Contaminants (other than chemicals) don't enter the equation, because it has been shown (both historically and in modern-day experiments) that any "living" contaminant that can hurt you can't survive the boil. If you have chemical contamination to worry about, then you have more to worry than just how it effects your beer quality.

Interesting. That is after-all why beer was so important through the ages - it made the water drinkable.

Tap water should always be boiled....there is a lot of "stuff" between the city supply and your tap...

If that were really the case we'd all be sick drinking, brushing our teeth, using ice, showering with it....

I use it, unboiled all the time....I even top off with it, UNBOILED.

Here's my standard rant to put it in perspective...I think it come more from new brewers little understanding of things, then any revelence. I think because we're afraid of this new beer making thing when we start out (heck half the time we're afraid were gonna make something toxic and poison our friends, OR that if we look at our beer wrong it's going to die a horrible death or both) that we forget some basic truths about the world. I wrote this last year when three folks posted something about this in the same day...

Revvy said:
Do you brush your teeth with your tap water? Do you shower with it and maybe get some in your mouth? Do you use ice made with the water coming into your house? Do you Drink it?

Do you live in a city that is currently having a boil water advisory?

Have we been so brainwashed from buying little plastic bottles of overpriced water (that may have ALSO come out of a tap, and MAY have less governement regulations than our municipal water) that we have forgotten that that sink in our kitchen isn't JUST used to wash dishes with? I have always found this fear that folks have of their own water ridiculous. If you can drink your water you can brew with it (all arguments about chlorimines aside, I'm talking about sanitization.) If you can drink the water out of your tap without getting sick, you can top off your fermenter with it. I've done it all my brewing career and NEVER had any issues.

I've just found this blind trust people have over those tiny plastic bottles over our own home water is ludicrious....

Let's start with an independent four year study of the bottled water industry, completed in 1999 by the Natural Resources Defense Council.1 The report of the results along with a petition to the FDA stated that there were "major gaps in bottled water regulation and that bottled water is not necessarily safer than tap water". The study's principal findings were that although most bottled water seems good quality, "some bottled water contains bacterial contaminants, and several brands of bottled water contain synthetic organic chemicals (such as industrial solvents, chemicals from plastic, or trihalomethanes - the by-products of the chemical reaction between chlorine and organic matter in water) or inorganic contaminants (such as arsenic, a known carcinogen) in at least some bottles".

This leads us to the subject of the chlorination of our public drinking water in the USA. This law is in effect to sterilize and disinfect the water, eradicating all types of bacteria.

According to the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), which is a nonprofit organization devoted to protecting health and the environment, more than 25% of all bottled water comes from a public source. That's right - it's the same water that's piped to homes and businesses.

How can that happen? Because they can. No one is demanding truth in advertising from water bottling companies!

Standards for purity exist, of course. BUT ...Bottled water purity is regulated by the FDA, and because the FDA puts low priority on water, bottlers are inspected and tested less than once a year. According to one FDA official, it's the manufacturer's responsibility to ensure that the product complies with laws and regulations.

The result: Some do, and some don't. And even worse, if the water is bottled and delivered within the same state, there are NO regulations.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates tap water, so if a bottler uses a public source that has passed their inspection, it should be OK to drink - right? Not necessarily.

In tests done by the NRDC, at least one sample from a third of the brands contained bacterial or chemical contaminants,
including carcinogens in levels exceeding state or industry standards. Not to be argumentative, but I have to wonder why any level of carcinogens is OK.

My understanding is that our municipal water sources are tested several times a day. That's how they are able to have a boil water declaration if something is detected.

Personally...I trust my tap water and my plumbing more than I think it's worth buying water, or bothering to boil it, if I don't have a BWA in my town.

Portland uses a process called Chloramination. it's starts with Chlorine to disinfect. Next they add ammonia to ensure disinfection remains adequate.

Is this bad? Shod I just go get bottles?

If there are "chloramines" in the water, it won't boil off. What works, though, is setting out all of the water in a bucket and adding 1/4 crushed campden tablet per five gallons to it. Stir it well, and let it sit for a few minutes. That causes a chemical reaction and the chloramine goes away. Then the water can be used to top off with, to brew with, etc.

My question on this would be:
has anyone ever traced some kind of infection in their beer to topping off with upboiled water?
Obviously, water used in a boil is going to be fine, unless you just don't like the taste of it.

But has anyone brewing with extract topped off with unboiled tap water, then later said "Ahhghh!! My tap water wasn't boiled and now my beer is infected!"

My first batch i topped off with two gallons of water straight from the tap. No issues.

If there are "chloramines" in the water, it won't boil off. What works, though, is setting out all of the water in a bucket and adding 1/4 crushed campden tablet per five gallons to it. Stir it well, and let it sit for a few minutes. That causes a chemical reaction and the chloramine goes away. Then the water can be used to top off with, to brew with, etc.

Can you filter out chloramine with a carbon filter?

You can, but it's not as effective as it is at removing chlorine, which means you'd want to double-triple filter it. Dosing with Campden (metabisulfite) removes the chloramine almost instantly however.

You can, but it's not as effective as it is at removing chlorine, which means you'd want to double-triple filter it. Dosing with Campden (metabisulfite) removes the chloramine almost instantly however.

Thanks. I'm not sure if my local water utility uses chloramine or not, but I'm ordering Campden tabs just to have them on hand. I'm going to try to understand my local water chemistry a little better, meanwhile...

I use dual carbon filters now, but when I first started doing extracts I always boiled my water first to drive off chlorine.

Here's a story that might help make you decide and will probably make you want to filter too. 20+ years ago when I was dating my wife, she got a glass of water from the kitchen sink and it looked oddly cloudy. We held it up to the light and could see what looked like tiny white fibers swirling around. She called the water company and they said they discovered some small worms in the system and that they'd added some extra chlorine to get them all out. They assured us they weren't parasitic or harmful in any way...just a little extra protein.

Latest posts

Back