Satellite fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
I watched one of the online brewing videos where the guy makes a satellite fermenter from the batch to use as the test platform for SG samples.

Does anyone do this? Is the satellite truly representative of the main batch?

Thirsty in Key West.

I have never believed it is an honest representation of a batch of beer...I actually think it's more like something that someone who is too scared to draw a sample uses...I mean really, how can 12 ounces of beer and 5 gallons of beer be fermenting at the same rate?

I mean, I've done side by side carbonation tests between 12 ounces, pints and 22 ounce bombers, and they don't carb at the same rate, so how would 12 and 5 gallons?

The smaller volvume's probably going to be finished much sooner, so if you trust that you could be moving the big batch too early.

Besides you could have two identical fermenters with the same recipe and the same yeast act completely differently next to each other , because of some miniscule difference...maybe even the slightest temp different next to eash other..or somethig equally un measurable. AND they act totally different.

I'm sure a some people swear by it...But until someone shows a side by side comparison...Drawing a separate sample from the fermenter every few days and comparing it to the "sattelite" I'll stick by my belief that it is not an accurate way to go.

I believe it's strictly done to get an idea of the full potential attenuation. It finishes fast and lets you know what the FG of the main batch should be. Some commercial breweries do this and Kaiser does something similar called a "fast-ferment test".

I think it's a good idea to get the attenuation potential. It will give you a good idea of when primary fermentation is going to finish... and if it's a few points off, it can help you narrow down problems in your brewing process, like aeration, yeast pitch rate, etc. Also, it could tell you when to do a diacetyl rest, when to rack to secondary, etc.

I believe it's strictly done to get an idea of the full potential attenuation. It finishes fast and lets you know what the FG of the main batch should be. Some commercial breweries do this and Kaiser does something similar called a "fast-ferment test".

I think it's a good idea to get the attenuation potential. It will give you a good idea of when primary fermentation is going to finish... and if it's a few points off, it can help you narrow down problems in your brewing process, like aeration, yeast pitch rate, etc. Also, it could tell you when to do a diacetyl rest, when to rack to secondary, etc.

It makes sense using it that way...But I don't think that's how a lot of people, including noobs are interperting the use of it...I think they are assuming if their little 12 ounce satellite is done, than their batch is as well...

I dunno...Heck, now all I do is take a reading on brewday and a month later at bottling day...so it really is a non issue for me anyway...

On a commercial brewing scale, I can see it - their satellite fermenter would probably be as big or bigger than of one of our whole batches. But I don't see a small portion of a 5 gallon batch telling you a whole lot, maybe attenuation as suggested...but not valuable as far as being able to tell when the whole batch is finished.

On a commercial brewing scale, I can see it - their satellite fermenter would probably be as big or bigger than of one of our whole batches. But I don't see a small portion of a 5 gallon batch telling you a whole lot, maybe attenuation as suggested...but not valuable as far as being able to tell when the whole batch is finished.

hehehe...I wonder if their satellite fermenters are 5 gallon buckets or carboys. That way they can draw samples over the whole course of the process.....

But can you imagine, one of their pissant satellites is one of our normal batches. LOL

I dunno...Heck, now all I do is take a reading on brewday and a month later at bottling day...so it really is a non issue for me anyway...

Sure... I do the same thing (except for lagers). I would only do the satellite fermenter or fast-ferment test if I had a specific reason, like to help diagnose poor attenuation or something.

Back