Is This Ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanbrew

Reaction score
i brewed last night and after my boil i poured brew into my fermenter but i was not carefull and poured the whole thing in there, hops in all. i was told you want to leave most of the gunk behind, will my beer be ok?

It will be fine..it would have been fine if you dumped everything in as well...that is one of those things that really is a matter of brewer's choice, so do some don't, some pour it thorigh a strainer, some don't.....EIther way makes great beer... Anything put in will settle out anyway...and would be left behind when you rack it...

:mug:

I always did this prior to a recent batch. I'm not as happy with this batch, even with all the extra effort to strain and be careful to keep my wort clear, so I'll be going back to the dump it all in method. You'll be fine.

You are going to get a pile of trub whether you strain or not. If you strain, you'll get 1.5 inches of trub, without straining 2 inches. It all settles to the bottom anyway so I don't bother straining. It's a personal choice but it doesn't effect the beer one way or another.

This leads to another question. What if you want to harvest the yeast from your primary? Does it matter if you have all the hops and gunk in the yeast?

Back