low OG problem --

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
Mini Mash Brown Ale

4 Lbs LME

4.5 lbs 2-row Brewers Malt
14 oz Victory Malt
14 oz Special Roast Malt
14 oz Crystal 60 Malt
2 oz Chocolate Malt

.75 oz Galena pellet hops
.25 Stryian golding pellet hops
.5 Stryian golding pellet hops

So this kit came with a nylon grain bag, and it was long an narrow and wouldn't fit into the pot all at once. I fiddled with it this way and that way and ended up with a wort with an OG of 1.038 the SG specified in the recipe is 1.064!

After contacting the supplier, he suggested that I boil up 2 pounds of DME, cool it and add it to the now fermenting wort.

My question is what do I do about a OG reading and how can I calculate the ABV percentage?

Advice/comments on this procedure????

I'm going to get a bigger pot!

Mini Mash Brown Ale

4 Lbs LME

4.5 lbs 2-row Brewers Malt
14 oz Victory Malt
14 oz Special Roast Malt
14 oz Crystal 60 Malt
2 oz Chocolate Malt

.75 oz Galena pellet hops
.25 Stryian golding pellet hops
.5 Stryian golding pellet hops

So this kit came with a nylon grain bag, and it was long an narrow and wouldn't fit into the pot all at once. I fiddled with it this way and that way and ended up with a wort with an OG of 1.038 the SG specified in the recipe is 1.064!

After contacting the supplier, he suggested that I boil up 2 pounds of DME, cool it and add it to the now fermenting wort.

My question is what do I do about a OG reading and how can I calculate the ABV percentage?

Advice/comments on this procedure????

I'm going to get a bigger pot!

I'd do what he suggested, and add the two pounds (boiled in a little water and cooled) of DME.

I'm not sure why your mash was so inefficient, but if you didn't thoroughly wet all the grains, that would explain it.

What was your procedure?

partial boil

in the past i've used muslin bags and the grain all fits in the pot. but with the nylon bag it restricted the grain and only aobut 3/4 were steeping at any one time. I rotated and flipped the bag around some during the 45 minute suggested time and added 15 minutes.. I sparged with as much water @ 170 as i could without filling the pot too much...

I'm not worried about adding the DME, I wanted to know more about how to calculate the OG and FG since the yeast has already been pitched....

Did you stir really well after adding the top-up water? If not, your gravity could have been considerably higher than what you measured.

If your ABV is really important to you, you need to get a refractometer and take brix and gravity readings of the fermented beer. Then see Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Projects and Equipment - Refractometers (ABV) for the math involved in determining the ABV from these two readings. I have no idea as to how accurate this would be.

-a.

Did you stir really well after adding the top-up water? If not, your gravity could have been considerably higher than what you measured.

If your ABV is really important to you, you need to get a refractometer and take brix and gravity readings of the fermented beer. Then see Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Projects and Equipment - Refractometers (ABV) for the math involved in determining the ABV from these two readings. I have no idea as to how accurate this would be.

-a.

That's a possibility... I'm planning on taking a SG reading prior to adding the DME... right now 9 hours after pitching it's going full bore....

It's been fermenting away like crazy... Took a SG reading today 1.012 and it tasted a little weak.. so I went ahead and boiled up 2 lbs of DME to add to the wort. I realized that with a heavy sugar content that the boil temps were pretty high and I managed to caramelize some it. I cooled it down to 70 in an ice bath, then poured it into the primary. Now it's blowing off like crazy..... :)

Back