Gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpappilli

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am new to adding Gelatin to the beer. What is this for? and what would happen if an idiot like myself didn't read the directions on the gelatin packet and just added it and stirred? The packet says boil in water to dissolve and add when hot then stir vigorously. I just added and stirred. Did I mess up?

Adding Gelatin to beer helps it clear quicker. However I have never used it since I let my beer clear naturally by leaving it alone and letting it sit.

I am not sure if it will clear as effectively since you did not dissolve it in warm water first. But I am fairly certain you did not hurt your beer.

I just started using gelatin, my last IPA was so cloudy I just didn't feel like sharing any of it. It tasted fine, it just looked like a Blue Moon. Since this was a Two Heart clone I was a little disappointed. I had another pale coming and couldn't stand the thought it would turn out as cloudy as the last one, so I gave it the gelatin treatment. I bottled it today. WOW, THIS GELATIN IS GREAT STUFF! The beer is clear, but still has a few particles suspended so I'm confident it will carbonate well, this will be my clearest pale ale yet. I've also been having issues with a chill haze, can't wait to see how this one turns out. Planning to make the Two Heart again and use gelatin to compare the results.

If you're interested, here's what I did. Boiled water ahead of time and let it cool, added 1 packet of Knox gelatin to 1 cup of the cooled water and let it set for 20-30 minutes. I then heated the gelatin carefully in the microwave to about 150 deg. Made sure the gelatin was dissolved and poured it into the primary, 5 days before bottling. No stirring at all, just poured it in and left it go. When I opened the bucket to siphon into the bottling bucket there was a light layer of bubbles in a gelatinous scum, as the bucket emptied that stuck to the sides and I could see the bottom of the primary through 4.5 Gal of beer! I will be using gelatin in all my pale beers in the future.

Latest posts

Back