Dont Fear The Foam??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnsen

Reaction score
ummmmm ok, but wont the foam from Star San kill my yeast?...when I rehydrated my yeast for my last batch of bb red ale...there was foam in my lil creamer cup that I use for the rehydration part...and yes I ran skeeered and rinsed the foam from that lil cup, just to be sure....but back to my question, wont foam from Star San kill my yeast?.....thankx, and yes I am a nubbee........Tom....cheers

You will be fine. I accidentally rehydrated my yeast with star san solution instead of water and it fermented out fine.

Star San doesn't kill yeast, no worries there.

I pour my wort on top of a ton of star san foam and then pitch. Really - no worries at all.

Same here. I always have some foam in the bottom of my FV'a after sanitizing. Five star says it breaks down into yeast nutrient. I don't know how long that takes though. Being a dilute ascorbic acid solution,it def won't kill the yeast.

If it kills the yeast... then I am screwed. All my beers are brewed and racked into fermenters that have starsan foam in them. Even my bottles have star san foam in them when I rqck beer into them.

My beers turn out great. :)

So... yep... don't fear the foam.

Gary

diluted SS is fine ... That's why they say don't fear the foam... Concentrated at the point of sanitizing might be a different story. By the time it's foam and wort or yeast solution is added, it turns into a yeast nutrient.. Per the inventor.

well allrighttty then..... no fear here ,per the hop heads on hbtalk..thankx....Tom

It took me a while to get over my fear of foam, too. But all is well- StarSan is indeed no-rinse.

Oh, and
BTW, I am NOT a hophead.
Show me the malt, baby! ;)

Just brewed my third batch (morebeer's Pliny extract kit) and had a few potential probs. first and foremost, during racking into my ferm bucket I knocked a silicon rubber hotpad into the wort. That either contaminated it or it didn't, have to wait and see.

Second, after shaking hard for 1 min to oxygenate the carboy was filled to the top with thick foam. Having been taught to not fear the foam I pitched in my WL001 that had been in a starter for 24 hours and snapped on the lid. At this point foam came running through my ferm lock. Crap. At this point I got concerned that if ferm really got rolling and the foam had not subsided that I'd be picking my lid off the sealing. So, I popped the lid and using a sanitized (yes foamy) ladle I scooped out about 5" of foam before re-sealing the lid.

My fear then immediately went t wondering whether my perfectly prepared yeast had made it through the foam before I scooped it all into the garbage.

Ann, the joys of homebrewing.

how long does a batch of star-san stay good?

Say I made a batch tonight to sanitize my hydrometer, can I reuse the same batch tomorrow night? or should I make another batch?

I have kept starsan for close to a year, maybe even more. The only problem is it may go cloudy if you use tap water (hard water does it I think). That is considered a warning sign to pitch it but if you can PH test it and it is still at or below 3 you are good.

I make mine in 5 gallon batches with filtered or bottled water and always have a keg loaded up with at least 5 gallons. I go as far as to fill a bucket, dunk stuff, then pour the bucket back into the keg. As long as it is sanitizing and not cleaning you are doing there is no reason to toss it after one use.

The sticker price on the stuff may seem high but really if you use it right it is damn cheap considering how convenient it is. I have spray bottles scattered around full of it and, as mentioned, a keg full for bigger jobs.

Back