Conical Fermenter - Fermentap??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard that most people don't particularly like them because the angle of the carboy neck is not quite steep enough for the trub to fall into the cone of the carboy neck. I also read a thread somewhere on here that someone has the same setup and spins the carboy which helps the trub to fall into the neck like a true conical. Apparently this provided the needed effect and the user was happy with the performance. I'm unsure what the title of the thread was but if you search you may be able to find it. If you look at a real conical it is pretty easy to see that they have a very steep angle on them compared to the angle of a carboy.

I personally would not mind trying one as they are very cheap and I do have an interest in conicals simply because of the ease of use. If this is a good solution until I have or ever want to get a conical then it would be great.

I have heard that most people don't particularly like them because the angle of the carboy neck is not quite steep enough for the trub to fall into the cone of the carboy neck.

This has been the main complaint Ive come across regarding these things... Still they are very cheap and Id like to give it a try...anyone used one first hand??

This is a little off topic but another advantage of a real conical is the surface area of the trub contacting the wort is alot smaller than other fermenters, carboys buckets etc. This seems like you would have the same amount of area touching the trub and I'd be afraid that the bottom would work it's way out and I'd wake up to a 5 gallon puddle It seems like a good idea and I've almost bitten on it but I passed and put that money to more ingredients or more toys and stuff

Back