90 minute IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlpavalko

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just recently brewed a 90 Minute IPA with the following recipe and hops additions timing. I've got two questions:

1 lb crystal grain (40)

1lb Vienna grain

9.9 lb LME

1oz Simcoe

2 oz Amarillo

2oz Columbus

1 oz Cascade

1 oz Fuggel

CA Ale Yeast WLP001 (White Labs)

90 minutes: .5 oz Cascade

75 minutes: .25 Columbus, .25 Amarillo

60 minutes: .25 Columbus, .25 Amarillo

45 minutes: .25 Columbus, .25 Amarillo

30 minutes: .25 Columbus, .25 Amarillo

15 minutes: .75 Columbus, .75 Amarillo

Drop hopped: 1 oz Fuggel (right after yeast pitch)

(1. Should I wait for the second addition of dry hops? Not include it at all? Does this sound disgustingly hoppy? (I like extreme hop in my beer, personally) I was planning on adding the second dose at week 2 of fermentation.

(2. As I aerated the wort and strained into the fermenter, I had the mesh strainer fall into the fermenter. It was sanitized so I am not concerned about contamination, but should I be concerned about a ton of sediment in the finished beer? Any way to strain while racking? Thoughts?

i'm confused. Are the hops listed above the yeast mash hops? The only change i would make is to the fuggel. i just don't like fuggle.

don't worry about the sediment

The hops above the yeast are just the totals, the ones below are the same hops, just the schedule. I would suggest waiting until about a week in to dry hop. Dry hoping right at the beginning will lose alot of the hop aroma to all the co2 being kicked off by fermentation. Wait till fermentation is mostly complete then toss em in.

@ JollyIsTheRoger and PoorBoy, yes, the totals below the yeast are the schedule of additions and amounts.

Thanks for the advice though. I did add the Fuggle right after the boil and will lose aroma, but I plan to add 1oz of Simcoe at the end of this week.

Any ideas for a name?

The hops above the yeast are just the totals, the ones below are the same hops, just the schedule. I would suggest waiting until about a week in to dry hop. Dry hoping right at the beginning will lose alot of the hop aroma to all the co2 being kicked off by fermentation. Wait till fermentation is mostly complete then toss em in.

that's why i was confused. i didn't see simcoe in the schedule.

as far as naming goes, i usually stick with something that happened around that time, whatever it was that inspired it. I.e., i have an Old Goat IPA that I cooked up on August 1st, and was drinking when the new Chief's got pinned :)

Wait until fermentation is complete to dry hop.

Did you run this recipe through a beer calculator? What is the IBU's supposed to come out at?

I would put the Columbus first for bittering, Fuggle in the middle and Cascade and Simcoe near the end of the boil and for dry hopping. Cascade and Simcoe are more of a citrusy hop, fuggle is more earthy, most IPA's are more on the citrus aroma side but it's up to you!

Latest posts

Back