2nd Batch Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
So I Put together a recipe for a Imperial IPA. I started it on Saturday and pitched SA-05 x2 onto colled wort at 60%. The wort started out and maintained ambient at around 62-64 for 1.5 days then got to about 70 so for a day 3 it was probably about 75 internally which is high for this strain.

My OG was 1.080 and the reading I just took was 1.019. The Color and Aroma were awesome but it tasted very dry and boozy since its at about 8.5ish I was shooting for about 7.3. There is also a lot of yeast in suspension.

Its a bit sour and bitter due to the 6oz of hops that went in but it needs more body and sweetness to balance it out. I know honey is added to brews to sweeten and works well in imperials but since its highly fermentable is it just going to wake up the yeast and make it more boozy.

I just need some body and sweetness into this.

Do I need to ferment much colder? I have issues with temp control. So it being 4-5 degrees too warm is causing the yeast to eat that much more sugar and dry out the beer?

Here is the Recipe.

I mashed at 152 for 30mins biab, added water to top off and extracts and did a full 5.5 gal 60 min boil.

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
51% 6 0 Briess Pilsen/Light LME correction 37 2 ~
21% 2 8 Munich Malt 37 9 ~
21% 2 8 Vienna Malt 36 3 ~
4% 0 8 Briess DME Golden Light 43 5 ~
3% 0 5 American Crystal 60L 34 60 ~
Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity
1.080 measured
(1.076 estimated)
Final Gravity
1.019 measured
(1.021 estimated)
Color
9° SRM / 17.73° EBC measured
(9° SRM estimated)
(Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency
75%
hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 1.0 Nugget pellet 13.0
boil 60 mins 1.0 Warrior pellet 15.0
boil 10 mins 1.0 Columbus (Tomahawk) pellet 14.0
boil 10 mins 1.0 Simcoe leaf 13.0
boil 1 min 1.0 Nugget pellet 13.0
boil 1 min 1.0 Palisades pellet 9.5
dry hop 14 days 1.0 Nugget pellet 13.0
dry hop 14 days 1.0 Warrior pellet 15.0
Boil: 4.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
97.2 IBU / 56 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU
yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation
Alcohol
8.1% ABV / 6% ABW
(7.3% est. ABV / 6% est. ABW)
Calories
252 per 12 oz.
misc
USE TIME AMOUNT INGREDIENT
boil 15 min 1 tsp Irish Moss

I'm not an expert but I think keeping your temps down will help. Also you used a lot of high alpha hops there, using true aroma hops for your later additions may help balance your beer out.

You're in Manhattan, so this might not be a possibility...can you put your fermenter in a room where you can crack a window to get that ambient temp down to around 60*? NYC temps are supposed to be in the mid-40s to mid-50s all week.

If not you need a swamp cooler...

THIS:

Lowes-20-gallon-blue-tub.jpg

plus THIS:

735891_sk_lg.jpg

plus THIS:

aa2001_black.jpg

plus THIS:

stock-photo-8616194-water-faucet.jpg

equals THIS:

swamp-cooler-top.JPG

Any ideas on where I can find a bucket that size in nyc that will fit a carboy or fermentation bucket?

What are those size buckets call specifically. The only buckets I am seeing are full garbage cans which are far too big.

Are they lawn or laundry buckets?

Its a bit sour and bitter due to the 6oz of hops that went in but it needs more body and sweetness to balance it out. I know honey is added to brews to sweeten and works well in imperials but since its highly fermentable is it just going to wake up the yeast and make it more boozy.

honey is not added to brews to sweeten it. its basically expensive sugar and will just dry it out. besides, 1.019 is high for an IIPA, I wouldn't be doing anything to try to sweeten it or add more body.

The concern is with the sample there was almost no hint of sugars at all really, I hope it will settle out a bit but we'll see I'm going to let it chill for another few days and take a reading the rack and DH

it hasn't even been a week, i wouldnt be that critical of it yet. a IIPA really shouldnt have much sweetness to it anyway. definitely don't rack it so soon either, thats a bit quick for a bigger beer. dry hops can just as easily be added to the primary btw

Fair enough, I do a primary in a bottling bucket and there is a TON of hop material since I didn't use a bag/strainer which i shall change going forward the spout is locked up and I do think the secondary helped with clarity but I know there are two schools of thought there.

As for the swamp cooler I know the fan would help just on basic physics but is there a big disparity of using a towel/ice and water without it?

Back