What the heck is a SMASH????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel bad now. I honestly thought Denny was messing with us, but it looks like the members of HBT have created an acronym that isn't well known.

Denny, feel free to be a jerk and mess with us the next time we ask a batch sparging question.

I'm just really really really glad I didn't go with my original answer for smash.

Searching May Answer, S@@t H@@d... :D

j/k

It originated on HBT so it's not used by the majority of brewers.
I was playing with simplifying my beers so I could learn about the components and made a few posts about single malt beers using single hops.

It was an old member cheese food who first used the acronym SMaSH to describe the method.

It's quite a good way of learning the tastes of the ingredients without any masking.

It's good fun to joke about SWMBO and never tell anyone what EAC is but for technical terms it's probably better to just help.

It originated on HBT so it's not used by the majority of brewers.

Technically, it experienced a resurgence because of HBT. For hundreds of years, hopped beers were made with barley malt, hops, water and yeast. It wasn't until the advent of the drum roaster and specialty grains in the mid-19th century that brewers were tempted away from single-malt beers. And since it was the 19th century that saw codification of hops varieties - and the 20th century really exploded like that - most of the single-malt beers were single-hop, as well. I have any number of extant historical methods and recipes that specify amounts of malt and hops, not varieties.

So claiming that single-malt, single-hop brewing originated at HBT is cheek. ;) Now, claiming that you and cheesefood hit upon the method as a way of learning ingredients, that's another claim entirely!

Cheers,

Bob

Technically, it experienced a resurgence because of HBT. For hundreds of years, hopped beers were made with barley malt, hops, water and yeast. It wasn't until the advent of the drum roaster and specialty grains in the mid-19th century that brewers were tempted away from single-malt beers. And since it was the 19th century that saw codification of hops varieties - and the 20th century really exploded like that - most of the single-malt beers were single-hop, as well. I have any number of extant historical methods and recipes that specify amounts of malt and hops, not varieties.

So claiming that single-malt, single-hop brewing originated at HBT is cheek. ;) Now, claiming that you and cheesefood hit upon the method as a way of learning ingredients, that's another claim entirely!

Cheers,

Bob

Nah, They were saying the ACRONYM originated here. Not the method.

OK, I'm a new guy around here and I keep seeing references to a technique called SMASH. Could somebody fill me in?

Mod edit: Just in case people search for SMaSH and this comes up.

Single Malt and Single Hop

An all grain recipe to enable the flavours of single malts and single hops to be tasted.
The recipe simply uses on variety of grain and one variety of hops.

Revvy's Edit of the Mod edit: :D

I want to say in case someone searches an finds this this is not limited to ALL-GRAIN BREWERS ONLY you can SMaSH with extracts as well....

Some liquid extracts, expecially the lightest lovibond ones are SINGLE MALT as well.

Northern Brewer #20053 NB Organic Light Malt Syrup...Or even using XLT DME and a single hop would be an extract alternative.

Or a base extract + a couple ounces of steeping grain and a single hop. This isn't quite a smash...but you can use that to get an idea of how a steeping grain flavors a base of extract.

But there all 100% single malt (non blended/non hopped) Liquid extracts as well.

William's Brewing even offers Marris Otter LME. MARIS OTTER EXTRACT 8 LBS @ Williams Brewing

Briess offers an all Pilsner Malt Extract Pilsner Malt Extract | MoreBeer

So you too can play the SMaSHing game, it's not the sole propriety of the world of

It's a great way for everyone to get more control of their process, AND to get a feeling for how ingredients work with each other.

When I posted the links to the single malt extracts, a couple brewers told me they were going to do the extract smash...I haven't heard how it went.

So Have Fun!!!! :mug:

At the risk of overcoming your enthusiasm, Revvy old boy, Briess Pilsen extract is mashed with CaraPils. See the PDF product data sheet.

For that matter, Briess Gold also contains CaraPils. Briess Organic Light, however, is presumably 100% Organic 2-row Pale, for no mention is made of other ingredients on the data sheet.

Alexander's Pale is 100% Klages 2-row. And it comes in tins! :D

I did a SMaSH with Briess Organic DME, Willamette and US-05, and it was tasty!

Bob

No matter what is blended in the can or bottle. The concept is the same. A consistent base malt extract with a consistent single hop. As long as the ingredients are the same age, and preferably from the same batch, an extract SMaSH experiment would be educational.

At the risk of overcoming your enthusiasm, Revvy old boy, Briess Pilsen extract is mashed with CaraPils. See the PDF product data sheet.

For that matter, Briess Gold also contains CaraPils. Briess Organic Light, however, is presumably 100% Organic 2-row Pale, for no mention is made of other ingredients on the data sheet.

Alexander's Pale is 100% Klages 2-row. And it comes in tins! :D

I did a SMaSH with Briess Organic DME, Willamette and US-05, and it was tasty!

Bob

Good to know!!! But you just DID confirm my original point though..that SMaSH ain't just for AG'ers and EAC's anymore!

:D

No matter what is blended in the can or bottle. The concept is the same. A consistent base malt extract with a consistent single hop. As long as the ingredients are the same age, and preferably from the same batch, an extract SMaSH experiment would be educational.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!

:mug:

Have a Vienna/Columbus SMaSH almost 2 weeks old. Took SG reading last nite, and WOWSERS!!!!!!!!

That's already some damned tasty elixer there! Beautiful pale yellow straw color. Clean simple malty flavor and a great beginning to end hops taste with citrus throughout.

Great concept Orfy and Cheese! Thanks and I'll be doing more of this.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!

:mug:

Actually, you could have. Now I come to think on it, If you were using an extract with a mixed malt base, then this method would only be educational regarding hop flavours and/or utilisation. It would teach you nothing about malt.

To do an extract MALT based smash experiment would require a lot of research into the maker's processes, and really wouldn't be worth the trouble. :(

I did one SMaSH last Spring.

Marris Otter and Nugget hops. Toasted some portions of the MO for different lengths of time for some complexity.

It was an okay beer, but nothing extraordinary.The beer was just sort of...one dimensional (obviously). Maybe it was because I wanted to do an APA that I fell short. Without some crystal or carapils, there was just no depth to the beer. A SMaSH might be more suited for a kolsch or lighter session beer where complexity is not needed.

I doubt I'll ever do another (unless forced to for lack of ingredients). ;)

I did one SMaSH last Spring.

Marris Otter and Nugget hops. Toasted some portions of the MO for different lengths of time for some complexity.

It was an okay beer, but nothing extraordinary.The beer was just sort of...one dimensional (obviously). Maybe it was because I wanted to do an APA that I fell short. Without some crystal or carapils, there was just no depth to the beer. A SMaSH might be more suited for a kolsch or lighter session beer where complexity is not needed.

I doubt I'll ever do another (unless forced to for lack of ingredients). ;)

This is my worry. I'm gonna have to drink 2X5 galons of the stuff simply because I refuse to do smaller batches. I consider it an education though, and something that needs to be done. Clint Eastwood would be proud of me for my sacrifice. :)

Agreed.

Nothing new about single malts and hops.

I'm saying as far as I'm aware the acronym was coined here or at least it's the first time I've ever heard the style/technique/method called SMaSH (ing) I obviously had heard of single malt an hop brews.

HBT also the only place I've heard it advocated collectively on an ongoing basis.
I'd no way ever claim I'm smart enough to be the first in anything to do with brewing.
I just stated I was using the principle to learn and cheesefood was the first person I'm aware if to use the SMaSH acronym to describe it. I'll find the thread.
Now Wortmonger or Yuri I'm sure could definitely claim a few firsts for themselves.

I also agree that it not just for AGers.:mug:

As for bland I think that may come from using a bland malt rather than something with a bit of depth.

Here ya go.

Orfy's Single Hop / Single Malt brew day got me thinking about organizing a group brew and swap. So if anyone is interested, I'd like to propose the SMaSH Swap!

One malt
One Hop

This is going to be an All-Grain Only swap, since that's the only way to ensure purity. (Sorry everyone else.)

If you're interested, post which hop/grain combo you'll do. I'd like to make sure there are no duplicates in the bunch.

Ok, so here are the rules:

1 base grain only - 2-row, Vienna, Marris Otter, 6-Row, Pale, Munich, Pilsner.
10 pounds grain, mashed at ~ 155º for 60 minutes (for 5 gallons)
1 Hop only, any kind.
3 Hop additions - 1oz @ 60, 1 oz @ 20, 1oz @ 5
Nottingham yeast
1-2-3 cycle.
Brew Jan 20th and ship March 3rd.

My thinking is that standardizing the recipe will make sure we all have an equal brew and no "Imperial" or over-hopped beers.

Any one interested?

I'm thinking for mine that I'd like to do Vienna / Amarillo.

I've been threatening to do it for I while.
Today is the Day.
A single malt and a single hop for a Single malt beer.
Marris Otter and Fuggles. What else.:rockin:The best combination ever.;)
I think I'll go for a 4% medium temp mash with balance bitterness.

I'm considering making my next 3 batches like this one at 4% one at 5% and one at over 6%.
I want to get back to basics (not that I've strayed far) to enable me to get my technique honed.

Quote: I've been threatening to do it for I while.
Today
is the Day.

I'm considering making my next 3 batches like this one at 4% one at 5% and one at over 6%.
I want to get back to basics (not that I've strayed far) to enable me to get my technique honed.

That's interesting. My firtst SMaSH will be MO and fuggles. I hadn't even considered yet about messing with gravity. So many other variables that can be tried too! .......Do you have a link as to how that MO/Fuggles turned out?

Quote: I've been threatening to do it for I while.
Today
is the Day.

That's interesting. My firtst SMaSH will be MO and fuggles. I hadn't even considered yet about messing with gravity. So many other variables that can be tried too! .......Do you have a link as to how that MO/Fuggles turned out?

I've been thinking about making one of these too....possibly an English IPA.....

....thinking about calling it "Go Fuggle Yourself".....

Not to hand but to tempt you this is a MO-FUG SMasH

dsc00001ny2.jpg

Orfy, That's just beautiful.... And MEAN!!!!

Stuck at work and NO ETOH allowed.

(Homer Simpson voice) MMMMMMMMM Gooooooooooodddddd Beeeeeeerrrrrr!

I have a 10G MO/Galena SMaSH fermenting right now. I'm then going to Oak 5G of it. It'll let me taste MO, Galena, and what exactly the oak brings to it.

I'm thinking SMaSH IPA using my favorite malt and favorite hop, since I'm Jonesin' for a hoppy brew:

11# Maris Otter
0.5oz Cascade FWH
1oz Cascade 75
2.5oz Cascade 20
2oz Cascade DH (in keg)

Toast 2# of the MO 20 minutes @350*F. Mash 152*F 60 minutes. Pitch a package of Safale S-04 Whitbread yeast to bring out the malt character. Toss in a few ounces of Bourbon chips and the hops before racking into the keg, so it ages on the oak and the hops... will be interesting to see how the flavor changes as it ages. I might cask condition it too...

1.060, 56 IBUs.

Maybe I am way off base here, but isn't the addition of bourbon or oaking defeating the purpose of SMaSHing? That seems as if it would adulterate the result. Not that there is anything wrong with the techniques, but it seems to me that using a single grain and hop is the idea. Otherwise, you are merely brewing a simple recipe....

HBT Fail.

AND thats why when people are smart arses when they answer questions just pisses me off.
Never know who it is, or if they are the next HBT lifetime member supoporter.
Just plain rude, call it hazing, fun with the noobs, or what you will. Its just plain rude.
We were all noobs once, and if you cant remember that and answer appropriately, dont answer.

AND thats why when people are smart arses when they answer questions just pisses me off.
Never know who it is, or if they are the next HBT lifetime member supoporter.
Just plain rude, call it hazing, fun with the noobs, or what you will. Its just plain rude.
We were all noobs once, and if you cant remember that and answer appropriately, dont answer.

Point. (blah blah blah 10char)

Back