Sweetwater Sch'wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevers

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and the recipe database and haven't found any clone recipes for this beer. I'm trying the fill up the pipeline and plan my spring brews, and really want to have this one on tap. So does anyone have a good recipe? I've tried contacting sweetwater but haven't heard back yet.

Also, it looks like this beer isn't in their lineup for 2012, so even more reason to make it myself.

Try 66% 2row and 33% wheat, .25oz of roughly Amarillo at 60min and .75oz at 5min of amarillo, with a clean ale yeast.

Thanks! One question though. Is that enough hops? It seems like the commercial example is a little hoppier than most wheat beers, but I may be remembering it wrong. I see you're in Georgia so I assume you've had it.

Thanks! One question though. Is that enough hops? It seems like the commercial example is a little hoppier than most wheat beers, but I may be remembering it wrong. I see you're in Georgia so I assume you've had it.

Yes, there isnt hardy any bittering hops, but when I wrote that I wasnt thinking about the difference brewing it at 50bbl vs. 5/10 gals so the hop utilization is a different, Id aim for right at 20 ibu's for the bittering addition.

You can say Ive had it. :D

Just looked at your profile. I'm pretty convinced you know what you're talking about ;)

Also, what OG should I shoot for?

Dang! I knew I was close but not exact. I used centennial and a 70/30 2row/wheat split with a mash at 148F. Side by side, it was very close but mine was not as aromatic. Thanks HBD! Wish you guys were still selling it. Only good American wheat out there

I just brewed today. 6 gallons, 10 lbs of grain. Roughly 66/33 2-row/wheat. 148 for 75 min. 1 oz Amarillo @ 45 min, .75 oz @ 10 minutes, .25 oz @ flameout. Super stoked, just putting my nose in the amarillo bag reminded me of the Sch'wheat. Safale-US 05, going for 68 degrees. I hit 1.049. I'll update when I rack into 2nd to get rid of all that trub.

Decided to go straight from the primary to bottle/ tap a draft. FG was 1.009, and tasted amazing. I can't wait to taste it carbonated and cool! I am not sure I have the aroma, but we'll see!!!

Ok... After about 2/3 of the batch I can say this beer is wonderful. I just wish I had a Sch'Wheat to do a side by side. I feel like this beer is a bit lighter in body than what I recall. hb10, what are your thoughts on the mash schedule 148 for 75 min? I am thinking about raising the temp to help fill it out. Thoughts?

Refreshing this page... Going to mash at 152 and see what happens. I have a little more summit hops (Need to unload them before there is nothing left in them) for the 60 and then amarillo for the rest.

Latest posts

Back