Anyone try the purple hulless barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The label describes it as non-malted purple hulless barley. My mistake on the original title of this thread. My head and fingers were not on the same page.

The rep didn't know much about it but described it as a good way to build body but he couldn't tell me if it was all that fermentable as no analysis had been done on it. It was a sample so I'm not out anything. I'm just trying to get a firm idea of what to do with it.

Purple Barley has high protein, 15%. If you decide to malt it, you may want to undermodify it to keep FAN levels in check. Let us know if you ever used some in a batch, and if the color came through into the finished beer!

I used some awhile back in an extra pale ale. I did a protein rest and I mashed fairly low at 150 as I recall. The color does not come through but the head retention was great. Overall a good beer. Nothing crazy but a solid brew.

Do you remember what % of the grist was purple barley? And did you have some darker caramel malts in there? Just trying to get a feel for whether the color disappeared in the boil or whether it might have been masked by other malts.

Bumping this old thread since I just discovered purple barley in the bulk section of the grocery store. I bought a handful to experiment with and I'll see if I can extract any color from it.

I doubt you'll get much color from it. I ended up using up my supply but it never really impressed me much. I used 5 pounds in an unhopped whiskey wash and that came out pretty nice but we can't really talk about that...

So I steeped about a 1/4 cup of crushed purple barley in 155ºF water to see what color I could extract from it. It was not purple at all, just a light reddish brown color. I didn't take a picture of it because I kind of forgot about it overnight and it got kind of ugly looking by the time I remembered about it. I'll try it again, maybe over the holiday and remember to take a picture of the results this time.

Back