is there such thing as industrial CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBABUCKS1

Reaction score
Dumb question alert....

With nitrous oxide there is industrial used for cars and other stuff. This stuff is different then medical grade or food grade nitrous

I know CO2 can be used for welding and can be used for paintball. Is Co2, Co2? or are there different grades?

yes there is a difference, but most places that sell co2(such as my company) will have food grade because most of the business is for beer and soda. most co2 for welding is done through argon mixes.

long story short, yes there is industrial co2, but most places have food grade

Ok.....

I live on an island in Alaska so there isn't a whole lot of options here (we do have a brewery though!) and they said they could sell me C02.

Anywho, the dive shop sells co2 for paintball. Will this most likely be industrial grade as apposed to food grade?

I was told by Airgas that they are the same thing. Obviously if it is a gas mix, then no, but they are made in the same manner. They said there is nothing particularly different or special about it, it is just 'certified' thereby providing a layer of accountability. Paintball CO2 will work great. It may be hard to get them to fill it though, as I have seen. They'll fill little 20 oz's but "don't have the connector to fill bigger tanks" which means that they don't really want that kind of business. (or they'd buy the dern fitting, if they did)

She told me that many premises that have a tap system or soda CO2 don't necessarily receive specifically certified CO2.

Of course, I'm just quoting someone else.

Yup. Deal with ultra high purity CO2 for work (CO2 lasers, and require bottle certs for a new installations) All bottles are filled with the same gas. Its the cleanliness of the inside of the bottle that dictates the purity grade. Bottles get tested every 8-10 years (D.O.T. mandate)

And 99.99% is considered 4.0 and not a high purity. 99.998% is 4.8 and that starts the high purity range.

Now whats required for food grade, I dunno.

Generating CO2 is a compression and distillation process and the result is very pure. All common use CO2 is filled from the same valve, "industrial" bottles, as you put it are filled from the same valve as they use for beverage grade bottles. CO2 is also, widely, used for welding processes without being mixed with Argon. It provides a hotter burn but a less stable arc.... more splatter. It is also used in a dual-shield process with flux-core wire. Medical oxygen and welder's oxygen also come from the same valve. The only difference is when you get into higher purity grades that have to have a certified level of purity. Instrument grade, Coleman grade, Semi-Conductor grade, research grade, etc. Those start out certified at 99.99% pure and go up. Research grade CO2, I think is 99.9999% pure.

Back