Micromatic Regualtor Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I bought a dual gauge CO2 regulator from MicroMatic a couple weeks ago. I noticed a couple days ago that I had a leak in my system. I posted about that here, I decided to start this thread since I have identified the specific problem (I hope).

I have been fighting to find the source of the leak. I hooked the tank to the regulator to a disconnect and at some point I thought it was holding pressure. Today, it is not. I have the soapy water out and have found the leak, it is in the regulator itself. I am getting bubbles coming out the hole on the front.
842.jpg

I know this the area that vents when you turn the secondary pressure down but it still has gas flowing at static pressures and when I turn it up. The face of the secondary pressure gauge is also bent. I am thinking this thing might have been dropped during shipping.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Stupid piece of crap.

I have had this for 10 days. Is this easy to fix? I don't want to take it apart and then not be able to fix it and not be able to return it because I took it a part.

Bobby_M said:
2 in one day?

Yeah that is weird. Didn't see that other thread.

Called micromatic today. The guy said that crap can accumulate on the diaphragm and cause it not to seal properly (on a brand new tank/regulator? sure, whatever). So I took it a part when I got home and cleaned everything off, put it back together. Same problem. Called them back and talked to another person that said she would have the guy I talked earlier called me back. It is my experience if a company says they will call you (and you don't owe them money) they will never call you. Why couldn't person help? Who knows. I will probably call tomorrow.

Anyone taken one of these a part? Should there be a whole in the middle of the diaphragm?

I've taken them apart and it's a simple primative device. Yes, the diaphram should have a hole in the center. It's the needle valve that's right under it that's you're problem. It's a round brass assembly that usually has flats on it to get a wrench on. Tighten that in snug.

I read that on your other post, but I did not know what the needle valve was. When you look at the replacement parts they don't label that as the "needle valve" they call it "regulator seat capsule assy.":drunk:

I will tighten it. Thanks! :mug:

I took it a part, it seemed very tight. I took the needle valve out and blew it off and put it back in. Held pressure overnight so I think it is fixed. Thanks again!

He was getting a hiss out of the overpressure hole in the face of the reg, twasn't a leak at the tank joint. Those little assemblies behind the diaphram, whatever the hell they want to call them, are finicky.

I was planning on ordering that exact regulator today.
Would you say I shouldn't get it from them, anyone else have experience with micromatic?

An another note, why do they have to have a location in Illinois...I don't want to pay sales tax on something I buy online. Can't they ship it from their California location... I don't mind waiting a couple extra days to save $20.

z987k said:
I was planning on ordering that exact regulator today.
Would you say I shouldn't get it from them, anyone else have experience with micromatic?

An another note, why do they have to have a location in Illinois...I don't want to pay sales tax on something I buy online. Can't they ship it from their California location... I don't mind waiting a couple extra days to save $20.
I'd say it is OK. Seems sturdy yet cheap at the same time;) Beveragefactory has a better price I think but I have heard mixed reviews on their customer service.

Just pay the tax, you are probably supposed to pay tax on things you buy online anyway (this is the case in most states).

No no tax on something you bought out of state... congress shall make no law regulating interstate commerce.

z987k said:
No no tax on something you bought out of state... congress shall make no law regulating interstate commerce.

It is called a use tax collected by the state.
Bobby_M said:
I'd go for the premium one for only a few bucks more. They have a nice knob for adjusting the pressure.

If I had it to do again I would probably do this.

So they can tax something you bought out of state, seems like that could potentially detour out of state buying which is one reason why that was included, so states don't screw each other economically. But on the flip side, not getting any taxes for anything because things were bought out of state is hurting some states IIRC.

On the note of buying my kegging equipment, I ended up going with beveragefactory, slightly cheaper prices, much cheaper shipping, no sales tax, which all together saved my about $60.

Furthermore, completely off topic, this is post 666 on halloween.

Back