Craigs list score and question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
So I found 10 balls for 300usd, but they need to work because they have been setting for about two years or so. Here are the first seven, have to go back and get the other ones tomorrow. The question I have is the rust on the lids, is that any big deal?

544801_1952053657966_1930123587_n.jpg

Seems like a great score. Soak them in a hot oxy clean solution. That may not even be rust. Could just be dried soda syrup.

A suggestion: Spell out "ball lock kegs" next time.
:D

ok What is the best way to get the stickers off them, I have them soaking in OxyClean right now, maybe gooo be gone?

Gear101 said:
ok What is the best way to get the stickers off them, I have them soaking in OxyClean right now, maybe gooo be gone?

Goo Gone will be your best friend. May still take some scraping but should help loosen them up.

Having gone through this with fourteen kegs, I've found that a heat gun will make the quickest and easiest work of peeling off stickers/labels. Then follow up with any kind of mineral spirits you have handy to remove residual glue, then warm soapy water to remove the spirit residue...

Cheers!

A small stainless steel wire brush works wonders at removing rust and Bar Keepers Friend does a good job of preventing it from coming back. I have some toner cleaner that instantly removes sticker glue but have found that lighter fluid works pretty well also.

The heat gun is the plus one, mine still came off in smaller pieces, becauce of cuts in the Pepsi Sticker, but it was alot better.

Also try lighter fluid for glue residue. I just wet a washcloth with it, and it wipes all glue residue away from stickers. Does not work on bottles though, I use elbow grease there.

the rust may be from previously used pull rings on the release valve. It'll just brush/BKF off, and replace any crappy rings with the $0.25 good stuff.

one things that works really good is sandpaper, just have to change it out alot, but have two of them all polished up.

Back