Converting From Cobra to Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have my keezer almost done (with the regards to utility/functionality, not cosmetically) and all i have is cobra heads on my beer lines. I would like to upgrade to faucets so that i don;t have to open the lid and let large amounts of cold air out every time. My LBS only has a limited selection so I think i'll need to buy online. What all do I need starting at the end of the beer line?

Also what is the preferred faucet? I know some say perlick but i have been unable to find an explanation as to why they are better.

nothern brewer

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...s/ball-lock-keg-kegerator-conversion-kit.html

just need hose

I just did exactly this upgrade the other day!

You'll need:

-The faucet itself
-Some kind of handle
-A shank that's long enough to go through whatever it needs to (your keezer wall?)
-That little wrench that you use to connect the shank to the faucet
-A hose clamp

and, assuming your shanks are not the ones that have a tailpiece welded on:

-The tailpiece (allows you to connect beer line to the shank)
-The nut to hold the tailpiece on (don't know the size off the top of my head)
-The neoprene washer that goes between the shank / tailpiece

The reason why a lot of people (including me) have gone with Perlick faucets is that they seal right in the front instead of way in the back. The regular faucets can get all nasty inside, and actually glue themselves shut, if you aren't pouring beers every day.

The only thing I'd look out for (because I'm anal about this stuff) is that they're stainless -- so you will want your shank and tailpiece to be stainless too. It costs about an extra $5 per faucet, but it prevents corrosion.

Also, Austin Homebrew Supply has Perlick faucets on sale right now for $22.99.

My calculations show that you can get get that setup for $49.91 if you buy the components separately.

Scott

the spanner is nice and isn't too expensive, i just use a magnet to hold mine to the back of my keezer so it doesn't get lost. you don't need it, but if you are ordering something else, you may as well throw it in the the couple bucks they run.

It took a while but I finally ordered my first perlic tap. I am very excited and can't wait for the UPS man to show up door. I just have two questions to ask while the package is in transit.

1) Since I will be mounting in wood, should I get some sort of backing plate for the inside of the keezer

2) What is the diameter of the outer ring (usually black)?

Back