Air tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobjenkins79

Reaction score
Let me begin by saying I know absolutely nothing about kegging. I recently acquired 4 hospital style oxygen tanks.:rockin: I'd like to convert them to CO2 tanks for kegging. Anybody see a problem with that? Can't I just buy the lines and gauges, and start kegging?

bob

I am fairly sure that oxygen tanks are reverse threaded, the regulators won't match up, and you would need to find someone to Fill/Exchange a O2 tank for a CO2 tank. But you can use the oxygen tanks to aerate your wort. if you are looking ot get rid of any of them let me know, I have been looking for an oxygen tank.

Cheers

yeah, no shop is going to want to fill O2 tanks with CO2, not to mention you'll have to convert all the valves first.

keep one and get an oxygen/aeration system, and sell the other three for a CO2 cylinder.

bobjenkins79 said:
Damn. I thought I really had something here.

What's that?
Oh yeah I will tell him, one sec.

Hey I was just talking to Murphy on the phone, he said check his laws he has this covered. :p

IIRC O2 and CO2 are at totally different pressures as well. CO2 can get up to 800PSI on a hot day, but I'm pretty sure O2 is stored at more like 40PSI. At least those little red tanks are. So even if you could find someone to do it, you'd probably not want to ;).

But O2 tanks are worth a good bit; you should be able to sell 3 them for a hefty chunk of change and fund a large part (all?) of your kegging setup. :D

Is this basically what you have?

1054694631488_1054694631473_i_1_B.JPG

Cheers

nope. Mine are taller. I've gotta get over to a buddy's house to post any pics. (Currently using really old laptop) I'll post asap. Probably be a day or two, though

bob

gaseous O2 is normally stored in high pressure tanks at 1800-2200 psi. The tank itself is indeed useable for CO2 but like someone else mentioned already the valve on top needs to be changed to a CO2 valve. Not worth the time or cost.
Check out Ebay for O2 cyclinders, selling a couple will definately cover the cost of a 20lbs CO2 Tank

Back