School's back in session - simple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSponge

Reaction score
I've been asked to do a "cider get-together" by one of the guys at work for some of the folks in the office...

Anybody done anything like this? Any hints? Anything I ought to consider, etc.?

They've heard me go on about my attempts, and several folks have guinea-pigged for me with early attempts, and have listened to me how it's pretty much the simplest thing to do.

I'd like to get them started on a v. light cider, something that they can sample and/or drink young and not have to go through the ache of aging.

Originally, the guy said "cider class", and without thinking, I came up with a couple-hour dump of "everything cider", but I realize now that THAT isn't conducive to novice experimentors.

I'm going to send a message for them to bring a quantity of apple juice ("Pasteurized or vitamind C are OK, but no preservatives") and some hints of what to get. This will be a "ferment in the container" batch for everyone, and set them up w/ a gallon of AJ.

I plan on supplying a yeast. So far, I'm thinking Safale 04. With a good head count and an idea of their vessels, I'll shop up fermentation locks, also.

I'll also bring samples of my latest attempt, a Graf variant.

I'm trying to keep from giving them total over-load, or getting them intimidated before they even start... so I'll probably recommend we juice things up right off the start and once they've got a gallon of AJ w/ yeast, that should be a good point to go into the "oh, and by the way..."

I'll bring some of the stuff I've collected over the years for show-and-tell. I'll discuss the BAREST essentials of juice, yeast, fermentation, what to expect from science projects, cleanliness, Godliness, bottling, etc.

I'm open to suggestions. Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

:D

After thoughts...

I chose SA-04 because it's supposed to be a clean, cold-crashable yeast... I will recommend that they crash a little early, to keep some sugar, and hopefully, render a drinkable cider earlier than the 6 month mark.

Comments?

If they don't cold-crash, what can/should I recommend to crash their little 1 gallon experiments? It's kind of a small batch, and getting dosing right for such limited quantities might be a pain-factor for them. What's the best way to get a minimum dose w/out screwing the taste up for the expectant little classmates? I'll let them know that, if they want to ferment it to dryness, they can then cc and rack to bottle and then they should probably age it.

I'll explain the up- and down-side of crashing early, and even give them some carb tabs if they want to get sparkling cider.

I'm excited, but my active mind tends to try to impart everything at once to them. Not good, as they aren't sponges... ;)

Stopping part way and cold crashing is getting complicated.

Let them all go to complete dryness, give them the option to backsweeten with splenda and bottle, or sweeten in the glass after carbonation, or drink it dry.

Then you can tell them about the other 'more complicated' sweetening and pasturizing options.

Stopping part way and cold crashing is getting complicated.

Let them all go to complete dryness, give them the option to backsweeten with splenda and bottle, or sweeten in the glass after carbonation, or drink it dry.

Then you can tell them about the other 'more complicated' sweetening and pasturizing options.

Simpler is better, for first timers... I am wondering how to deal with yeast loading, clearing the cider, and keeping sweetness -- and cold-crashing came to mind. I guess I haven't put as much thought into the end of the fermentation.

In a week or two, they'll have some cider in a jug, that they won't know what to do with...

Hm...

I did my "class" last night. A good time was had by (me), everybody else was on their own. It went well, w/ few minor hitches. (note to self: start the cider tasting AFTER the talk and pitching... second note to self: when the talky-interrupty-lady-who-came-to-socialize-and-interupt gets there, ask her to do kareoke downstairs. Another note to self: start earlier, if possible. Final note to self: Time Management. Learn it.).

I could have been a bit more prepared by having add'l stopper sizes... or have been a little more pro-active on supplies. I could have fended off two issues by just getting $ from the attendees and buying the right juice and knowing the stopper sizes.

We didn't go into heavy detail on "finishing", and we may have a Racking/Bottling later, and just process everybody's stuff together. AND, if anyone is interested, we'll start the next batch... I hit the "wait 6 months" over and over. I brought some samples of a batch that I completed in October. A couple of the folks had gotten bottles at the 1 Month mark, and I was pleasantly surprised when one guys said that the additional 2 months had improved the taste muchly (although he liked it in its infancy).

Oh, one last Note To Self. Most folks don't really care about the ancient history, colonial techniques, natural yeasts, most of the other things you find so fascinating, etc.... get over it and get on with it. Pitch, tell 'em the most basic "what to do, what to expect", answer questions as simply as possible, and enjoy the hell out of it.

I will definitely ride this ride again.

Back