Pumpkin Cider Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasWine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE: I finally got around to brewing this cider this past weekend. Below I've updated the recipe and documented my final process. The final outcome is still TBD, but I’m pretty optimistic.

All right folks. This is my first attempt at a recipe simply because I didn’t find one that I felt suited my needs. I’m going for a quick pumpkin cider. And by quick I mean something that will be ready to drink almost immediately after fermentation, not necessarily quick to slap together.

PUMPKIN CIDER
Ingredients:
1 small pie pumpkin
5 gallons Apple Juice (no preservatives)
2 cans frozen apple juice concentrate (FAJC)
1 lb amber DME
1 lb light DME
1 lb Crystal 60L
½ Tbsp. whole allspice
½ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground nutmeg
4 cinnamon sticks
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
Yeast (Nottingham)
Yeast Nutrient (per instructions on package)
Potassium Metabisulphite
Potassium Sorbate (if back sweetening)
1 gallon water

Instructions:
1. Place grains (60L) in a muslin bag and steep in 3/4 gallon of water at 155°F for 30 minutes. (note 1)
2. Sparge grains with an additional 1/4 gallon water at 170°F and dispose of grains. (note 2)
3. While grains are steeping chop pumpkin into 1” cubes. Place pumpkin into a mesh bag(s). (note 3)
4. Add DME and mesh bag(s) of pumpkin to the steeping/sparging water and bring to a boil. Boil for 30 minutes.
5. Add spices and cinnamon to boiling water for last 15 minutes of boil. (note 4)
6. Remove wort from heat, remove pumpkin and cinnamon sticks, and chill wort to a maximum of room temperature.
7. While the wort is boiling add apple juice to carboy. Before adding the apple juice to the carboy, make sure to aerate it by emptying half the jug into the carboy, replacing the jug cap, and shaking the bejeepers out of the half-full apple juice jug. Add cooled wort and FAJC to carboy.
8. Pitch yeast. (note 5)
9. Rack into secondary after fermentation has slowed (5-8 days).
10. Ferment until gravity has stabilized for 3 consecutive days.
11. Rack/cold crash/use super kleer as needed to clear.
12. Add vanilla extract and additional spices (if so desired) then keg or bottle.

Notes:
1. You can use a cooler or some other insulated container to hold the temperature constant. I used a cooler and the temperature dropped to 145F over the 30 minutes (not ideal). I heated the water to 158F before adding the grains and will probably go slightly hotter next time. A muslin bag is used so that you can easily remove the grains after steeping.
2. I put the muslin bag in a colander and poured the ¼ gallon over the grains and let it drain into the cooler.
3. I left the rinds on the pumpkin. The jury is out if that will impact the flavor.
4. I used a reusable K-cup container to hold all my spices except the cinnamon sticks. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K0L2U2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) This made it easy to retrieve the all the whole allspice and the bulk of the powdered spice with minimal effort.
5. If you pitch the yeast dry make sure to reserve a little of the apple juice to wash the yeast down the funnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about using pumpkin puree and adding the spices? Nutmeg and others, right? You wouldn't have to cook the pumpkin, saving time.

I apologize if you thought of that already, just shooting from the hip here.

What about using pumpkin puree and adding the spices? Nutmeg and others, right? You wouldn't have to cook the pumpkin, saving time.

I apologize if you thought of that already, just shooting from the hip here.

The pre-mixed pureed pie filling (the one with all the spices and stuff included) is actually what I was going for in the ingredient list. Looks like I might need to change the wording a tad.

So you're thinking I wouldn't need to cook it if I used the pumpkin puree?

No comments on the recipe, other than I'm really interested in how it turns out. Please post back with results if you make it. Pumpkin cider sounds like a really neat idea.

I dont think you'd need to cook puree any more than the filling. Have you started a batch of this yet? How is it so far if so? I'm always looking for good fall recipes. :D

I dont think you'd need to cook puree any more than the filling. Have you started a batch of this yet? How is it so far if so? I'm always looking for good fall recipes. :D

I guess I was thinking the puree and pie filling were essentially the same thing, except then pie filling already has the spices. It'd be great if I didn't need to cook this. I was unsure about the cooking step because that was just a step I cobbled from another pumpkin beverage recipe.

Haven't started it yet, and may not get to for some time because of work. Hopefully I'll have it going within 6 weeks or so. I'll make sure to let you all know.

I've made a pumpkin spiced cider using pumpkin purée and adding spices to it and it turned out great! Saved so much time so I didn't have to cook down the raw pumpkin.

I agree that not cooking would be fine. Also, if you add the spices manually, you would have better control and repeat ability. The mead in a pumpkin uses a raw pumpkin. I know a few folks who do a pumpkin ale in the fall, non cooking the purée and adding spices.

BTW, excellent idea with the pumpkin cider idea! Love it. I was going to get going on a max apple apfleweizen inspired by you, but am now going to have to do this. Perfect timing for the holiday season coming up!

I think you are correct on the pie filling vs purée. Pie filling having spices.

Also should be noted that some pumpkin beers don't even have pumpkin in them, just the spices. Nutmeg, allspice, clove, etc.

I posted this recipe a while back... hope this helps:

SPICED CIDER

START DATE: 10-31-12
RACKING DATE: 11-13-12
COLD CRASHING DATE: 12-19-12
BOTTLING DATE: 12-22-12

Batch Size: 2 gallons
FERMENTATION TEMP: 70F
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.000
YEAST USED: Half of a package of Red Star Pasteur Champagne (about 2.5 grams). No yeast starter made.

2 gallons of fresh unpasteurized cider with no preservatives from a local orchard
-added campden tablet 24 hours prior to pithing yeast

After Waiting 24 hours:
2 tsp Fermax Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp pectin enzyme added to juice

Racked into secondary after 2 weeks. And then added in the spices which consisted of:

Simmered/steeped on stove on low heat for 45 minutes:
2 cups of water
3 tsp ground pumpkin pie spice
1 ½ tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
3 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp almond extract

I let the spices cool to room temp and added into the carboy. Shook carboy up really good to mix in the spices. Let sit for a little over a month in secondary before cold crashing for three days. I back-sweetened with the same cider I started with that I had frozen and bottled.

The cider smelled amazing when bottling and after pouring into a glass from the bottle! The taste was very smooth and very drinkable while young. I did have a problem with the clarity for some reason though. Also I experimented with using K-meta and sorbate doses to stop the yeast to make a flat cider but for some reason it didn’t stop the yeast. I used the recommended doses and everything so I ended up just putting the bottles in the fridge and left them there till I drank them up.

The pumpkin one I did was the same recipe except I opened up a can of Kroger brand pumpkin pure and added into the spices while steeping on the stove for 45 min. I personally liked the spiced cider over the pumpkin but some of my friends preferred the pumpkin. I do have to say that I liked my pumpkin cider so much better than Woodchuck Pumpkin Private Reserve that I got the idea from and compared tastes to.

I think you are correct on the pie filling vs purée. Pie filling having spices.

Also should be noted that some pumpkin beers don't even have pumpkin in them, just the spices. Nutmeg, allspice, clove, etc.

No pumpkin at all is an interesting concept. Pumpkin itself is rather bland. (I would like to meet the crazy person who decided a vegetable pie would be tasty.) It seems that the pumpkin is just the medium through which you get to eat the really tasty stuff like sugar, eggs and those wonderful spices. So is it really just the flavor of the spices that I'm going after?

What about adding lactose after fermentation? I believe I've read it imparts a creamy mouth feel.

Another thought, if you use 3/4 to a full lb of 60L you could BIAB and not have to deal with sparging. Cutting some more time.

My version of sparging is going to be putting the grains in a colander and pouring hot water over them :) Poor wine maker's version of what the home brew fellows do.

I dumped the can of pumpkin purée into a pan added like two cups of water and added the spices. Then I simmered the mixture for about 45 min I think. Let it cool and added right into the carboy.

If I had it to do over, I would have used whole sticks of cinnamon instead And tried using whole spices crushed into chunks instead of ground into a powder because the spices didn't all settle out as well as I had liked. They formed a gooey blob that's looked like spiced snot in the bottle and was a bit unattractive.

They formed a gooey blob that's looked like spiced snot in the bottle and was a bit unattractive.

I'm very familiar with this spiced snot. If you ever read UpstateMike's Caramel Apple Hard Cider thread they ran into the same issue. People ended up using cinnamon extract instead. I did exactly as you described and simmered with cinnamon sticks.

SO,correct me if I ere, but are you aiming for pumpkin pie flavour but no extract from the pumpkin?
If you were to steep the pumpkin with some 2-row,along with your crystal you would get some of those untapped sugars.

SO,correct me if I ere, but are you aiming for pumpkin pie flavour but no extract from the pumpkin?
If you were to steep the pumpkin with some 2-row,along with your crystal you would get some of those untapped sugars.

You got it. Hoping to have the flavor of pumpkin pie but trying to avoid pieces of pumpkin actually floating around in the bottles.

That's a good idea, steeping the pumpkin with the grains. If I did that I would use regular old pumpkin (no spices) and then make my own spiced tea for the secondary. As someone mentioned, I could customize my own spice blend depending on my preferences.

Would you steep the pumpkin in something like a grain bag?

Ok, so now I am all over the place here, I know.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/pumpkin-ale-recipe-75398/

Mentions cooking to carmelize the pumpkin for better flavor. So I would say if you were going to cook, cook to carmelize.

But the pumpkin flavor actually needing pumpkin seems to be split.

Thanks for the link. I think I'm going to go the safe route and actually use pumpkin. I'm still on the fence about how to use it though. As I see it I have two options. One, steep it with the grains. Two, roast it in the oven until caramelized and then toss it in the primary for fermentation.

In not sure which one is going to give me the right amount or right kind of pumpkin flavor. Maybe I should do tow batches in parallel :) 12 gallons of pumpkin cider shouldn't be too much, right?

that is exactly what I would do.
I did it once with an extract brew with just pumpkin/oats/spice, then tried it with some 2-row and it really hit the nail on the head.

that is exactly what I would do.
I did it once with an extract brew with just pumpkin/oats/spice, then tried it with some 2-row and it really hit the nail on the head.

Ah the voice of experience! So you're recommending the stepping method with some 2-row, right?

yes mate, i am indeed recommendong the steeping method.
20 minutes or so at about 67c( sorry for the metric).

So, I skimmed through the last part of this thread, if this has already been addressed I'm sorry.

First off, if you throw some 2-row (or 6-row) in with the pumpkin to do a mash instead of just steeping, you won't end up with pumpkin chunks floating in the bottles. You will end up with getting more flavor and some extra fermentable sugars from the pumpkin that you wouldn't get otherwise.

Secondly, I was wondering about the reason for the DME/LME and Crystal malt. Are you including these to make the final product somewhat beer-like? Or are you using these to get some residual sweetness so you don't have to back sweeten? I'm just curious about your thought process on this aspect of the recipe.

So, I skimmed through the last part of this thread, if this has already been addressed I'm sorry.

First off, if you throw some 2-row (or 6-row) in with the pumpkin to do a mash instead of just steeping, you won't end up with pumpkin chunks floating in the bottles. You will end up with getting more flavor and some extra fermentable sugars from the pumpkin that you wouldn't get otherwise.

Secondly, I was wondering about the reason for the DME/LME and Crystal malt. Are you including these to make the final product somewhat beer-like? Or are you using these to get some residual sweetness so you don't have to back sweeten? I'm just curious about your thought process on this aspect of the recipe.

Thanks for the feedback on the mash vs steeping.

For the DME, from what I've read it sounded like using DME, as opposed to something like dextrose or some other sugar, would result in a product that is drinkable sooner. Does that theory hold any merit?

As someone who makes a big deal about making pumpkin pie from scratch every year, I have some information you may or may not find useful.

* Do not use canned pumpkin pie filler. GIGO kind of thing here, friend. This goes for pumpkin pies as well as pumpkin beverages.

* To follow up on #1, I would use a fresh pumpkin. Try to find one from whole foods if you can. Cinderella pumpkins are bright orange and have a very flavorful flesh. The reason why people perceive pumpkins to be bland is because the mass markets sell crap pumpkin flesh in cans. It is usually sitting around on a shelf for a while waiting to be in season for the fall. If you cant find a Cinderella, there are plenty of other varieties that would make a great brew.

* Using a good quality fresh pumpkin will blow you away with the flavor it can provide. Also, as mentioned, the natural yeast and sugars from using a fresh pumpkin will do nothing but add to your flavor profile.

* Open that pumpkin up, scoop out the seeds and cut it into pieces. I would add those as part of the mash your building. Once you strain it out, pumpkin pieces will be gone and you will have extracted all the flavors you want.

* Use whole spices - nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice, clove, ginger, and a little star anise are great additions. Some people like orange peel as well. Not my thing but thought I would at least mention it. Also, before adding the spices to your boil, toast them in a dry fry pan over medium heat. Be patient and wait for the aromas to be released. This is important to getting the essential oils to be released. This step will net you a much deeper flavor than just boiling.

Good luck with the brew. Let us know how it turns out.

Just a short update, but a more extensive run down will follow. I put this together this past weekend, with some more tweaks of course :) I chopped up a whole pie pumpkin instead of using the canned pumpkin. I simply cut it in half, scrapped out the seeds, and cut it into 1" cubes. I used the rind and all. Not sure if that was a bad or good idea, but I was running short on time. Also, I only added the pumpkin during the boil and did not add it to the primary fermentation. Someone care to chime in about leaving the rind on?

I used a full pound of the 60L malt rather than 1/2 lb. I forgot to up my water when I upped the grain, so I steeped a full pound in 3/4 gallon rather than 1.5 gallons. Not sure what kind of impact that might have. Any of you out there know?

And lastly, I topped up with 2 cans of frozen AJ concentrate and some yeast nutrient.

OG was 1.059, a little lower than I expected, but still within range of what I would call acceptable.

Right now there's a carboy party going on in my Cool-Brewing bag (which, by the way, is awesome: https://www.cool-brewing.com) at a chilly 55F. Three total gallons of ice swapped every 12 hours is doing the trick. I'll be interested to see just how cold I can get this thing. If I upped the ice I think I could hit the 40s pretty easily. Dropping a small fan into the bag might help too.

I'll follow up sometime in the next week with more details. Work has been a little kray kray.

Recipe and instructions have been updated! And let me know if any of you have tried this or a variant. I'd be interested to know what everyone's experience has been.

Pictures are always fun so I thought I'd share a few of the work in progress. Hope you enjoy them or find them helpful.

Some of the ingredients lined up.
ForumRunner_20131011_150409.jpg

The 60L in the muslin bag.
ForumRunner_20131011_150447.jpg

Chopped pumpkin, with skin.
ForumRunner_20131011_150506.jpg

Just finished steeping and getting ready to sparge.
ForumRunner_20131011_150543.jpg

Boiling the wort (pumpkin, DME, spices)
ForumRunner_20131011_150605.jpg

Thing-a-ma-jig I put the spices in during the boil.
ForumRunner_20131011_150621.jpg

Fermentation at 5 days in.
ForumRunner_20131011_150647.jpg

Fermentation at 13 days.
ForumRunner_20131011_150718.jpg

How did this turn out? Pumpkin come through nicely?

Looking forward to hearing!

Well, I took a sample last weekend. Honestly, it tasted like flat and watery pumpkin flavored beer. Very thin. Not what I was hoping for.

But I'm going to let it sit for maybe a couple more weeks before kegging then bottling. Contemplating adding some malic acid and maybe sweetening some with FAJC. I think carbonating it will make it taste better as well.

Will keep you all updated as I progress.

Well, mine is in the boil phase now. Few changes based on what I had on hand. 8oz 120L, 1oz torrified wheat (extra bag from Brandon O's graff), 2 pie pumpkins chopped and roasted, skipped the cloves and used whole nutmeg.

Update my progress the week of Thanksgiving.

A little update. I finally got around to racking the cider from primary to secondary. Gravity was 1.002 @ 72°F, so that means I've got about 7.25% ABV.

It's still very, very cloudy and kind of has an orange hue to it. Taste wise it has completely changed in the past two weeks. It went from tasting and smelling like watered down beer to tasting like a very tart cider with a hint of pumpkin in the background, and smelling very much like pumpkin pie. Not dry, not sweet, just right.

I added some pectic enzyme at racking to see if that will help it clear at all. If it doesn't clear I'm not too concerned.

Also, I don't have a smaller carboy so it's sitting there with a lot of headspace. That has me nervous. I think I'll end up bottling this upcoming weekend with a little priming sugar. Hopefully it'll end up pretty tasty with some carbonation.

Latest posts

Back