Kinda Sorta Cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Just finished putting this together. Not sure what to call it, but I'm excited to see how it turns out:

4 gallons fresh, local cider
2.75 lbs local honey
1 lb golden raisins
1/2 lb dried cranberries (unsweetened)

Safale US-04 dry ale yeast

cyser.jpg

Cider, or Cider w/ adjuncts, your choice.
Honey has to be a minimum percentage of fermentables to be considered a Cyser.

But your recipe sounds good. Keep us informed how it turns out.

Cider, or Cider w/ adjuncts, your choice.
Honey has to be a minimum percentage of fermentables to be considered a Cyser.

But your recipe sounds good. Keep us informed how it turns out.

That's what I thought - 50% right? - but the BJCP style guidelines didn't list any specific proportions so I thought it might be up to interpretation. Not that I brew with competitions in mind, but it's nice to know.

That's what I thought - 50% right? - but the BJCP style guidelines didn't list any specific proportions so I thought it might be up to interpretation. Not that I brew with competitions in mind, but it's nice to know.

I've got 50% minimum in my head as well. Think I picked up the number from the GotMead forum. Depending on the OG of your juice, you're probably around 40%.

I just bottled a cider with 5gal apple juice and 2lb of honey and wb-06 yeast. Was good going into the bottle. Can't wait until it's carbed.

You should get some residual honey flavor and sweetness in yours. The raisins are a classic addition to add mouthfeel (did you chop or at least slice them open?) As for the cranberries, I'm guessing it will add a little tartness to the finished batch.

You should get some residual honey flavor and sweetness in yours. The raisins are a classic addition to add mouthfeel (did you chop or at least slice them open?) As for the cranberries, I'm guessing it will add a little tartness to the finished batch.

I chopped up both the raisins and the cranberries. I was also hoping the cranberries would add a little color as well.

How much sugar did you carb yours with? I've noticed that, unlike beer, volumes of CO2 is never really given for cider - just still, petulant or sparkling.

I chopped up both the raisins and the cranberries. I was also hoping the cranberries would add a little color as well.

How much sugar did you carb yours with? I've noticed that, unlike beer, volumes of CO2 is never really given for cider - just still, petulant or sparkling.

You may leach out a little of the red coloring. But it probably won't be enough to change the color much at all.

I used 5oz of corn sugar for priming. I've seen reference for everything from 3-7oz, so just used the standard 5.

I used 5oz of corn sugar for priming. I've seen reference for everything from 3-7oz, so just used the standard 5.

how long did you age it?

did you add any yeast at bottling?

It's only been in the bottle 2 weeks now. No additional yeast at bottling. It was crystal clear when it went into the bottles, but I can already see a fine layer of yeast settling out in the bottles. I'll give it a good 6 weeks to carb and age before I try it.

It's only been in the bottle 2 weeks now. No additional yeast at bottling. It was crystal clear when it went into the bottles, but I can already see a fine layer of yeast settling out in the bottles. I'll give it a good 6 weeks to carb and age before I try it.

How long did it take to clear? My first attempt at a cider, which I don't think turned out so good, never really cleared to my satisfaction even after 4 months in the carboy (and after racking at least 3 times).

Whatever you want to call it, it sounds like you'll have something good to drink with some time.

Thanks. I'm excited about it. I'll be sure to post my impressions of the final product.

How long did it take to clear? My first attempt at a cider, which I don't think turned out so good, never really cleared to my satisfaction even after 4 months in the carboy (and after racking at least 3 times).

7 days in primary and 15 days in secondary. My basement was holding at 68 the whole time.

There are a lot of factors in clarifying, ingredients, yeast, nutrients, temp, etc.
Your juice will make a big difference as well. Some juices just never clear. After 3 months, I don't expect my Cinnamon Apple Cyser (using D47, 15% ABV) to ever get clear.
But a Cherry Apple Cyser (using EC-1118, 16.5% rocketfuel) I've got is crystal after just 1 month.

You'll see plenty of threads around with different responses to clarifying apple juice. I think pectic enzyme is one of the recommended additives to the mix.

This is an interesting point on percentages of fermentables to style guidelines.
If I add any malts to a mead I call it a braggot, usually I do a big beer, and use the late runnings and boil that, with very light hops, usually around 3 gallons at 1.030 SG or so, and then use that to make a braggot of around 1.080 SG or so.
Final product I can't taste the malts at all, a hint of the hops, and it taste like a lightly hopped mead. I still call it a braggot.
Well, I always have a lot to learn.
Otherwise, this sounds like a nice recipe, please update us in around a year to let us know how it came out.

Back