JAOM Help Please- Mead is pulling a vacuum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robusto

Reaction score
hi guys,
i made a JAOM on 06/09/2011 and it bubbled very well for over a week, but now the JAOM has all but stopped bubbling, is starting to clear (its a very deep amber, but pretty cl;ear), and is now pulling a vacuum in the bottle.

So, what gives? Why would the JAOM do this? By the way, the fruit is still floating- none has sank.

It might be because now it's stopped fermenting it's cooling back down to room temp again? I'm not entirely sure though, I've actually found all my meads seem to suck back slightly when ageing...

OK thanks- I was a little worried that it was infected or something. I've just never seen this behavior before.

thanks

What Insomniac said. What temp is it at right now?

The best advice I can give is to leave it alone until it's at least perfectly clear & maybe even until the fruit drops.

What temp is it at right now

I don't know... I'm at work right now, but I can check when I get home.

The best advice I can give is to leave it alone until it's at least perfectly clear & maybe even until the fruit drops.

Thats what I thought... The directions said about two months, and its only been 2 weeks, so I'll just let it go.

New question-

Should I release the vaccum pressure (err... rather the lack of pressure)?

Back