BIAB Partigyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_d

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've looked around a bit about BIAB partigyle and didn't find much results anywhere. Well, brewing an Imperial IPA, I figured why not give it a try?

Recipe/
3 Gallon

Grain Bill:
7 lbs US 2-row
8 oz White Wheat Malt
8 oz Crystal 40
1 lb table sugar @ 60 min boil

Hop Schedule:
2 oz Amarillo @ FWH
2 oz Amarillo @ 5 mins
1 oz Citra @ 5 mins
2 oz Amarillo @ Flameout
1 oz Citra @ Flameout

Continually hopped with 1 oz Warrior.

Chilled to 68 and pitched US-05.

Here's where the partigyle comes in. After the mash, I took the bag out and dunked it in 1.5 gallons of 170 water. I stirred, and let sit for about 5 minutes. I only planned this to be a one gallon partigyle because I wasn't sure if I could get enough sugar to make an entire second 3 gallon batch.

I put it on a stove burner inside while the IIPA was boiling outside. Hopped with
.5 oz Cascade @ 60 mins
1.5 oz Cascade @ 5 mins

Chilled, and pitched US-05.

OG on the IIPA ended up at 1.082, a couple points higher than expected. And the second rubbings batch ended up at 1.050. Not bad! Considering I would've chucked the grains anyway.

Here's a pic mid fermentation:

image-3021943755.jpg

I had to put the blow off vessel in a bowl because it overflowed all over the carpet. This is gonna be one good IPA. I plan to dry hop it with 2 oz Amarillo and 1 oz of Citra.

So, there are my endeavors with BIAB Partigyle. It works!!

Attachments

• image-1915597617.jpg
    image-1915597617.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 739
Thats not a bad technique. I usually dunk sparge and add back to the first batch maybe ill try a few of these second beers and do a little experimenting.

When I do a big brew in the cooler mash tun, I frequently decide to try a partygyle beer. I have yet to produce outstanding beer sadly, mostly because by the time the boil starts Im already feeling pretty good :drunk: Notes become scarce with the second beers and my math gets really shoddy. I tend to hop for 5 gallons instead of 1-3 and things like that. One day it will come together, maybe if i plan beforehand. Thanks for the idea anyway.

Here is a picture of the latest second runnings creation, it was a Stone SSR clone. All I remember is that we pitched two vials of expired WL yeast we got for free from the local. They were WLP-655 Belgian sour and WLP-665 Flemish ale blend. Dont know what was left alive but something is stirring in there. I am worried about the carafa, probably dont want that roastiness in a flanders beer. Like I said my sensibility seems to elude me with second runnings batches. I guess ill find out in about 10 months

image-610795099.jpg

Yea, and I realize it's not a traditional partigyle, but if anything, it's a way to utilize grains that you'd normally be throwing out.

And the cool thing is that I still hit the OG for my "first runnings", so if I can do that and still hit the volume, might as well take the grains and get something else out of them!

I wonder if I could've dunked them in like 4 gallons of water and boiled down to three, and gotten a 1.020 wort and then beefed up with some DME. Definitely going to try it next time!

Very nice! I partigyled a 3 gal batch off of an imperial stout, then did a sour mash with it to make a sour stout. It had an 0G of 1.043, hopped it to 8 IBU's with cascade, and it is honestly the best beer I have ever made. Very sour, but is balanced with a roasty, malty finish. friggin AMAZING.

Nice. You just gave me a reason to get a couple 1 gallon fermenting jugs. I'll tell SWMBO it was your idea. :D

I did one of these yesterday, got 6 gal of 1.095 breakfast stout clone and 2.5 gal of 'bonus' beer at 1.046. Great tip!

Back