Best Heating Element Material / Coating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendiy

Reaction score
I want to get a fresh new element for my Hot Tub RIMS Tube project that's free of stewed flesh before I do my first brew with it. I also wanted to bump up the watts from 4000 to 5500 to help with on demand sparge/strike water.

I have a few options for elements and wanted to see if there was any preference in materials:

Should I just get the cheapest?

What materials should be avoided?

I think that a lot of us are using the Incoloy Camco ULWD elements, at least that is what I am setting up to use.

I have to get one of the above elements because they are a special configuration for hot tub heaters.

Any idea which one would be similar material to the Incoloy Camco ULWD elements. These may not be ULWD elements, but I think would qualify a LWD. I'm going to run at 120V if I run wart through it and PWM so I'm not concerned with the density, just the best material to use out of the above options.

I can't find any info on Teflon and Titanium coated elements in combo with brewing.

i doubt its teflon, probably a ceramic material if anything. but i would avoid mystery coatings that you dont know what they are made from. if your budget allows the titanium one, thats probably the best out of the list.

as far as the watt density, given those elements are 10" long from the pictures, and folded over 4 times, that is about 36 inches of element (the sides with the terminals arent ful 10" long). if you take a look at this commonly used 5500w element...
Amazon.com: Camco 02933 5500W 240V 14-Inch Screw in Lime Life Foldback Water Heater Element: Home Improvement

14" from base to tip, and the fold doesnt come all the way back to the base, so im going to estiamte that to be 11-12 inches. so if unfolded, that is around 50 inches of element. thats considerably longer than your element for the same wattage. even though its 50 inches long, some people do experience scorching with this element.

depending on the actual thickness (which isnt given), and thus, surface area, you might have a harder time avoiding scorching than with other actual low watt density elements. at the very least, you will end up with darker beer than you would using ULWD elements or direct-fire, simply due to much more maillard reactions. that isnt necessarily bad, but should be kept in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some sites calling it "Tefel" coating with this description:
"Tefel is a specially formulated high temperature nonporous coating that is applied and backed onto the element sheath and bulkheads at over 1800 degrees F. With powdered titanium as part of the coating this formulation protects the sheath from both corrosion and calcification."

They are cheaper here:
Hot Tub Spa Flow Through Heater Element - Long Life Coated - Wattage Choice | eBay
Hot Tub Parts Menu - Heater Elements - Tefel Element Flo Thru Univ 5.5KW 240v 10.5" - Spa Parts, Jets, Pump Controls, Heater

These says Teflon coated:
Spa hot tub Heater ELEMENT TEFLON COATED 5.5 kW Flo-Thru Bow Tie Nut & Bolt | eBay
6-FLO-TE Element,Flo Thru, Teflon Coated 5.5KW 240V 10.5"

Back