extract potential on GF grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I've been trying to find extract potential for a variety of GF grains, but am not having any luck. Does this info exist somewhere?

Specifically, I'm looking for info on Quinoa and Amaranth.

This is based on my experience and estimates only, I haven't seen it in print anywhere...
When I malted quinoa and stopped the sprouting right after I had rootlets on the majority of the grains, I got about 1.035. When I tried to let it modify more, my attempt at full modification, it dropped to 1.032. Amaranth I only malted once, under-modified, it got about 1.032; un-malted and lightly roasted (~90L) got about 1.033.
Again, these are estimates based on expected efficiency w/OGs on a few of my brews, FWIW...

I've been trying to find extract potential for a variety of GF grains, but am not having any luck. Does this info exist somewhere?

Specifically, I'm looking for info on Quinoa and Amaranth.

Some of Colorado Malting Company gluten free grain CoA's have made their way onto HBT and elsewhere.

According to the ones I have seen:
GF buckwheat has potential extract of 70-80%
GF millet 30-36%

I know they had Quinoa on their rotation, but never saw a CoA.

I was looking into this too and after a google search I found a couple of helpful e-book previews (can't afford to buy the books:) )
Handbook of Brewing edited by Hans Michael Eßlinger has a table on page 56-57.
Using a "standard malting regime" it found extract potential of quinoa at 83.2% or 1.038.
Amaranth was 79.7% or 1.037
Other GF grains are listed including a variety of millet (63.6%/1.029) and buckwheat (52.9%/1.024)
Andrew Lavery on AHB says millet is around 70%/1.032 (and reckons he gets close to 100% efficiency with a decoction mash).
I have a random excerpt from somewhere that lists buckwheat as 65.3%/1.030
Obviously there is variation with variety of grain used, and your malting process
Gluten-Free Cereal Products and Beverages edited by Elke Arendt, Fabio Dal Bello, mentions that a standard mashing regime can probably be used with quinoa as it has lower gelatinisation temps than most other GF grains.
Both books note amaranth had poor attenuation, but I note one of these references only gave a week for the wort to ferment out.

MariposaSouth's answer is probably better as they have actually tried it. Same with the comment about Andrew Lavery and millet. Real world practice counts for more.

Latest posts

Back