Yeast Shock caused stall. What to Do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twostep627

Reaction score
Last Saturday Pitched a Danstar Windsor starter on to BB oatmeal stout OG 1.066. Fermentation started in hours. Next morning I noticed I accidentally closed the door too much to my fermentation bathroom and the temp was 75F in there. So I opened the door up and closed the vent some to bring the Temp down to 68-70 by next day there was no more bubbles so I checked the SG Monday only 1.032. Still no more bubbles Wednesday SG still 1.032. Thursday night I pitched some Nottingham (closest thing the LHBS had), sprinkled on top. day and a half later still no activity.

So what do I do. leave in Primary bucket till new yeast starts, or do I transfer to secondary tomorrow to see if the move causes it to start up again.

Thanks in advance! :mug:

There's really no such thing as "yeast" shock," and it sounds like you are simply equating airlock bubbling with fermentation.....

"Bubbling action" is not a good way to tell if anything is happening, plenty of beers ferment without a single bubble from the airlock.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years..

Your airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it is a VALVE to release excess co2. And the peak of fermentation has already wound down, so there's simply no need to vent off any excess co2.

The bubbling just means that it is venting excess CO2, nothing more. If it's not bubbling, that only means that it is not producing enough co2 to need to vent.

If your airlock was bubbling and stopped---It doesn't mean fermentation has stopped.

If you airlock isn't bubbling, it doesn't mean your fermentation hasn't started....

If your airlock starts bubbling, it really doesn't matter.

If your airlock NEVER bubbles, it doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

You'll be much happier if you get out of the habit of connecting anything to airlock bubbling....you will find that fermentations rarely don't take off, or just Stop...In fact I've never had a beer not ferment. BUT half of my fermentations, spread out across 9 different fermenters, never blip once in the airlock.

There was really no reason to pitch more yeast, if you were down to 1.032 after only a couple days it was fermenting perfectly normally.

That's a perfect rate of fermentation.........you should have just left it alone.

Now do this......

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Just quit watching for airlock bubbles and leave your ber alone for AT LEAST 2 more weeks....

Thanks Revvy for the reassurance. I did regret adding the extra yeast especially because it was not the same. I probably would not have made the mistake if I hadn't checked the SG two days apart and it hadn't changed, but that could have been my reading ability. I am slowly learning not to panic at every little thing. It seams that no two fermentations are the same and you just need to be patient and let them do there thing.

Back