Temp for secondary dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgarcia78147

Reaction score
Making a Blonde Ale with White Labs 001 ferm at 67 degrees for 7 days, now i am dry hopping in secondary carboy for around 7 more days. does it matter what temp i dry hop at or should i process with the same ferm temp? :mug:

it's doesn't really matter, i dry hop at room temp in secondary. i recall an interview with Vinnie Cilurzo (russian river) where he said he finds that he gets the best result dry hopping at 70 degrees.

And would you chill the beer down before kegging ? would that help everything drop down, to make for a clearer beer ?

And would you chill the beer down before kegging ? would that help everything drop down, to make for a clearer beer ?

when i keg, i rack the beer from vessel to keg at whatever temp the beer was at, purge o2 and set the psi to 10. then i chill to serving temp, 42-44 in my kegerator for 3 days before turning up the pressure for a day or two to carb the beer.

Yes you can cold crash to help with clarity, more of the hop particles and yeast will fall out.

Yes you can cold crash to help with clarity, more of the hop particles and yeast will fall out.
Would that effect the process of dry hopping ? I plan to primary for 7-10 days, rack to secondary, after 7 days in the secondary, I'll dry hop for 5 days, then chill and rack to keg. does that sound like a good plan.. by plan i mean as long as the SG and all agree, I've gotten out of rushing ...lol... my first beer or two, I couldn't stop watching it and tasting.. it was crazy..

Thanks guys I started with 1.053 & ended with around 1.013 seven days later at around 68°

Would that effect the process of dry hopping ? I plan to primary for 7-10 days, rack to secondary, after 7 days in the secondary, I'll dry hop for 5 days, then chill and rack to keg. does that sound like a good plan.. by plan i mean as long as the SG and all agree, I've gotten out of rushing ...lol... my first beer or two, I couldn't stop watching it and tasting.. it was crazy..

Can you explain why you need to move your beer to secondary and let it sit for 7 days before dry hopping for 5? I made an APA that I left in the primary for 10 days and then dropped the hops right into there for another 5 days before bottling. Very good flavor and by the second day in the bottle was crystal clear. No secondary was involved so I didn't need to sanitize another vessel and didn't expose the beer to another chance for oxidation by racking.

Can you explain why you need to move your beer to secondary and let it sit for 7 days before dry hopping for 5? I made an APA that I left in the primary for 10 days and then dropped the hops right into there for another 5 days before bottling. Very good flavor and by the second day in the bottle was crystal clear. No secondary was involved so I didn't need to sanitize another vessel and didn't expose the beer to another chance for oxidation by racking.

I think that's what I am going to do next time.

Not sure to be totally honest with ya... lol .. I've just read what everyone one here says ( which is all different ) and kind of made a happy medium..

Not sure to be totally honest with ya... lol .. I've just read what everyone one here says ( which is all different ) and kind of made a happy medium..

I think you have a good answer. i wasn't trying to criticize but rather make you think about the process and why any one item is done. Many of us have quit using a secondary except in special cases because we've found that they generally aren't needed.

I think you have a good answer. i wasn't trying to criticize but rather make you think about the process and why any one item is done. Many of us have quit using a secondary except in special cases because we've found that they generally aren't needed.
Guess it make's it quite easier, and Would be safe to say faster.. Since you're not stirring everything back up during the transfer to the secondary, So what's your take on chilling it down, before racking it into a keg.. ? Oh and I know you were'nt criticizing me, I take into perspectivem, that it's hard to express the right emotions over chat or text... lol

Back